Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start website similar to boards -- Q's about vBulletin and .ie address

Options
  • 22-03-2006 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've got a bit of an idea for a website... I won't tell ye the idea:p, but suffice to say that it will revolve around a message board, and I was just wondering how I'd go about doing it.

I'm not a complete beginner at web stuff, but I'm by no means an expert. I was thinking that I could lease the board from vBulletin for a year, which would cost ~€100 I think. But that says something about downloading the software for it -- is it not like proboards.com in that they host it, and you can just customise it? If not, then we've got web space with ntl AFAIK, so I could probably upload whatever's necessary to that.
    If this is the case, is the software self-sufficient or would it have to be embedded into a webpage of some sort?

Then there's the matter of registering the .ie address. I saw a bit of a mention in another thread that it's more hastle than it's worth to get .ie :confused: I don't know much about that, so can someone fill me in on where the hastle lies that it doesn't lie with .com?

Thanks for any help, I'll post more questions as they come up!

EDIT:
    I meant to say, when I say similar to boards, I just meant that it's a message board, but it's more specific than boards, so I won't be trying to move in on their territory :p

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

.coms are easier and cheaper to get. I never registered a .ie address before so I'm not sure how hard it is to get.

About the Vbulletin issue, I'm not sure. I have never ran vBulletin before so I don't know alot. You could always try phpBB which is free and you could try it out before you fork over money to vBulletin

For an even handier option, you could try the phpBB on a website that will host it for you... like forumer.com

You just register with them, and choose a username and then they can access your forum by going to http://name.forumer.com. Great for starters or if you want to get a forum up in a hurry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

DaveMcG wrote:
    that says something about downloading the software for it -- is it not like proboards.com in that they host it, and you can just customise it?
    No. AFAIK there are vBulletin hosting services out there. Google.
    If not, then we've got web space with ntl AFAIK, so I could probably upload whatever's necessary to that.
    It's unlikely NTL will allow you to run something like vB in their webspace, or allow you to map a domain name to it.
    If this is the case, is the software self-sufficient or would it have to be embedded into a webpage of some sort?
    It's self-sufficient if you have hosting with PHP/MySQL capability.
    can someone fill me in on where the hastle lies that it doesn't lie with .com?
    You need to prove an entitlement to an IE domain name. Register a business name with the Companies Registration Office, or get a letter from a bank manager, accountant, solicitor, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hey folks,
    'm not a complete beginner at web stuff, but I'm by no means an expert. I was thinking that I could lease the board from vBulletin for a year, which would cost ~€100 I think. But that says something about downloading the software for it -- is it not like proboards.com in that they host it, and you can just customise it? If not, then we've got web space with ntl AFAIK, so I could probably upload whatever's necessary to that.
    Running an online service is a world of difference away from just putting up a static website on a hosted server. The best solution would be to outsource the bbs to vBulletin or even boards.ie while learning how to run a bbs. Then after you've acquired sufficient expertise and knowledge of what is involved, you could make the decision to use your own server. The big problem with bbses/message boards is that very often people try to fly before they can crawl. Move carefully, test and then takeover - that's how you deal with niche markets. :)

Regards...jmcc

I agree with jmcc. You'd be surprised how complex software like vB is these days. There are 33 pages of configuration options alone, and that's before you get into forum/group/user permissions and item-specific configurations. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, just that it takes a substantial amount of time to get used to it, and in the meantime you users could be running riot. (Trust me, they do when they get half a chance. :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jeez, you're right... was just looking at some screenshots of vBulletin, and it doesn't look easy to use at all :confused: I was under the illusion that it would be like proboards.com, only... better :p

Well can ye give me advice then... I want a website that will mainly be a message board, but... well I don't want to start it up with proboards or something as a trial to see if it catches on, because (a) I don't think I'd be able to transfer members easily if it does catch on and I decide to go for a proper message board, and (b) I don't want someone else to see it and know how to make it GOOD, so steal the idea, and (c) I want to be able to make a bit of money from ads and so on, which I can't do on proboards.

Did boards.ie start on a crappy message board, or did they just get the idea and go for it, and it caught on?

Thanks!

p.s., how much would a professional designer charge to set this all up? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think Boards started on UBB, but forums were a lot simpler in those days. You might be better off with something like phpBB, which can be upgraded to vB later. Either way, I think given your comments you might be well-advised to get a developer - not a designer, jesus help us - to install and configure it for you.

To just get it up and running it shouldn't cost more than €50-100. To consult with you to get it running right, maybe €250-500. To get it running right and implement a site-specific style - then, and only then, do you bring in a designer - maybe €1000 or so.

You're right about migrating off a hosted system later btw, in which case you'll also need to consider hosting if you do go "in-house".

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

vBulletin is very easy to use. However...

Most people think the challenge is getting your website online. That's the simple part.

Getting people to use your website is an entirely different matter, and is actually quite difficult.

Prepare yourself for potential disappointment if you don't mave a marketing budget to backup your idea.

DOLEMAN wrote:
    vBulletin is very easy to use.
    Use, yes; configure, weelllll... I mean, yes, it's easy to configure; but not necessarily configured right.

It's very tricky getting permissions right, for example, particularly with an eye to the future. Do you let people use all of the features at the outset to get them in, or keep some back to pay for the hosting via subscriptions later? There's no middle ground, you can't remove features at a later date or you'll face a revolt. There's an absolute rake of these kind of decisions to make.
    Getting people to use your website is an entirely different matter, and is actually quite difficult.
    Very true, agree 100%...
    Prepare yourself for potential disappointment if you don't mave a marketing budget to backup your idea.
    ...although I don't agree that you necessarily need a budget. If you can find a niche that hasn't been filled yet, you don't need one; ditto if you have the time and energy to market it in other ways (word of mouth, etc).

adam /not a fan of marketers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There's an admin demo at http://www.vbulletin.com ... should give you some idea of what you're up against config-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I used vbulletin on a website of mine. I found it easy to configure ...??

Maybe because I'm a computer person :) but I think vbulletin is fairly handy if you have the mentality "this won't be difficult".

• Advertisement

Like I said, it is easy to configure using the most basic definition. It's a matter of getting it right for both yourself and your users in the long term that I'm suggesting is the tricky part. Running a forum for few dozen or even a few hundred users is a piece of p*ss. When you get into thousands of users though, and the associated bandwidth, processing and customer service overheads involved, it can get tricky.

I still maintain that the OP might be better off with something like phpBB (actually not phpBB, it's a nightmare these days and there would appear to be major dodginess coming, but something similarly simple), and saving himself the money and hassle at the outset.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

vBulletin is an excellent piece of software, but even veteran users can get lost amidst all the configuration options.

PhpBB used to be a viable option, but it's become a security headache.

Can someone confirm that there are no free hosts that allow you to upload phpBB (php & mySql)? Cos if there is, then that would be very handy :) Otherwise I'm gonna have to find a cheap host that allows me to upload the stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The .ie domain registry is - unfortunately - like a lot of organisations in Ireland. They have a set of rules, but those rules are made up as they go along to some extent. Getting a clear answer is very difficult out of them.

I tried to register a .ie for an area name which is NOT on the Ordenance Survey maps - so I was free to register the .ie according to their own rules. Didn't work out that way.

Shame you can't buy Irish - even when you want to. I ended up registering a .com, a .net and a .org, and the .ie domain I wanted will probably never be used by the local council that supposedly has the rights to it.

Anyway, for what it's worth:
    http://www.domainregistry.ie/NamingPolicy.php
    http://www.domainregistry.ie/RegistrationPolicy.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

few days back, phpBB has came out with a beta version of its incoming long-waited Olympus. has more features than its predecessor, u might want to give a try.

mart

Thanks for that fellas!

Do any of you happen to know of a good free host that phpBB will run on? I've searched on Google, and it's producing a good few, but I can't really tell whether they're good or not, whether when I register it'll start littering the site with ads, or what...

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Alternatively, I'll probably get a 3V voucher tomorrow and buy some webspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Ken Shabby wrote:
    To get it running right and implement a site-specific style - then, and only then, do you bring in a designer - maybe €1000 or so.

1k..not at all. Photoshop heads on a tonne of VBulletin templating forums will do a fantastic job for you if you approach them. I would say you could get a professional template for VB done for less that that €100 by some 19year old kid called Brad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

DaveMcG wrote:
    Thanks for that fellas!

Do any of you happen to know of a good free host that phpBB will run on? I've searched on Google, and it's producing a good few, but I can't really tell whether they're good or not, whether when I register it'll start littering the site with ads, or what...

I have excess space and bandwidth on my hosting package. Provided that your site content is in compliance with my hosting t & c, I would be happy to lend you a SQL database and some webspace till you have found suitable hosting. PM me if interested. I'm installing phpBB 3 Beta1 as we speak now.

mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

DaveMcG wrote:
    Thanks for that fellas!

http://www.doteasy.com
    Its based in Canada, but you get free hosting with no banners or adds or anything, you have to pay for DB & PHP though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

free hosting but you pay for mysql and php.....not exactly free then?

• Advertisement

free hosting but you pay for mysql and php.....not exactly free then?

Its free hosting but you have to pay for them options if you want them but you get 100mb of free space and can just use .htm or .html extensions.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you're willing to pay for the VB licence then why do you not want to pay 50 euro a year for a cheapy host, or more for a better host?!

Gordon wrote:
    If you're willing to pay for the VB licence then why do you not want to pay 50 euro a year for a cheapy host, or more for a better host?!

hosting365 is only €48 a year and you get mysql & php support and u can always upgrade easily if the site takes off!

Thanks for the help fellas! I've actually taken mart_max up on his offer of using his webspace for a while :) I transfered all the files over and uploaded phpBB to it too, and it seems to be working a treat! :D Just a few more things to iron out and then I'll post a new thread and look for critiques.

Cheers again!

Advertisement