Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trade cars

Options
  • 23-03-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

is there a place that a private individual can go to take their chances on a potentially fine trade car without the hassle of peering over walls and having friends call in favours. i've done so much leg work to try and find a new car for myself and i end up talking to too many arfur daly types who are charging way too much for cars we all know should be worth next to nothing. eg '95 A6 2.8Q for €3,500.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Car auctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Auctions would be the best place. A motor trader is obliged toonly sell trade cars to a person who is a motor trader. If you say you are in the trade nobody will question you...........most of the time. But you will have absolutely NO warranty with any car you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your best bet is an auction as already suggested but be prepared to bid against dealers at some of them.

Also sometimes "trade sale" may not always mean that it is only available at to someone in the motor trade at that price. It could mean that simply it "sold as seen", in other words you drive it away as it is from the garage, no warranty and they never see or hear from you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Try Merlin car auctions but bring someone who knows about cars with you and tread carefully....all is not as it appears to be.:)

bazz26 wrote:
    Your best bet is an auction as already suggested but be prepared to bid against dealers at some of them.

Also sometimes "trade sale" may not always mean that it is only available at to someone in the motor trade at that price. It could mean that simply it "sold as seen", in other words you drive it away as it is from the garage, no warranty and they never see or hear from you again.
    Not exactly - If you are a motor trader and sell to a member of the general public you have a "Duty of Care" to your customer. It's a while since I studied law but I think that any member of the public who buys from a motor trader is covered under the ammended Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act (1981). I might be mistaken but I don't think so. I can check it in detail tomorrow if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Auctions are very risky - I've 'disposed' of several heaps of junk at them and I pity the buyers. I usually look at the back of the yards behind reputable main dealers and have found lots of real bargains - if a Toyota garage takes in a Fiat/Alfa no matter what the car is they will try to shift it as quickly as possible and they won't ask if you are in the trade. I guess it depends what you are looking for. I have a lovely '93 Vectra which you can have for €50 - 143,000 miles no NCT, red with towbar and different colour front seats?

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Section 13: (2) Without prejudice to any other condition or warranty, in every contract for the sale of a motor vehicle (except a contract in which the buyer is a person whose business it is to deal in motor vehicles) there is an implied condition that at the time of delivery of the vehicle under the contract it is free from any defect which would render it a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle.

It can thus be contracted out of, as latter sections explain.

I bought my car as a trade sale, even though it was only 3 years old, in immaculate condition and had a FSH. It is a Ford, but was leased as a company car for 3 years by a company owned by a Toyota dealership.

I got no warranty, but saved 4k over the price of an identical car at a Ford main dealer. The difficulty is finding nice cars though, I was lucky as I had a mate who works in the garage watching out for me for about 6 mths.

You can make signigicant savings by getting a car at trade price. While you have no warranty you can put aside a hefty portion of what you saved to fund your own repairs should something go wrong.

Advertisement