Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson and Sonic 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ha, thats excellent. I found the last one (Ice Cap Zone) to be the most like Michael Jacksons music. Kinda strange also that Jackson hasnt spoken about it if some of the pieces are so similar.

Man, i love that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Well both michael and sonic enjoy chasing rings, so it makes sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Sonic 3 was an excellent game with fantastic music. I wouldnt be surprised if this was true. MJ is supremely talented. Games these days could do with decent music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

RotalicaV wrote:
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sonic 3 was great...but when combined with sonic and knuckles it became one of the greatest games of all time...hmmm might play it again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

RotalicaV wrote:
    badum-tishh

noticedthis in comments could be the real reason:
    Actually, if we look at the accredited mentions, it looks like one "Bill Buxer" worked specifically on Sonic 3 as well a number of micheal jackson albums. Considering he was in charge of arranging the instruments for each song, the similarity seems far more likely.

p.s Sonic 3 does have a brilliant soundtrack (Esp ending theme) but all the sonic games have great soundtracks for the most part. Starlight zone is still one of the all time great tunes. (as is bridge on the auld game gear)

The remixes you can find are brilliant. There's one called dream pipe which is very addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've thought about this before and I'm sure he's worked on some of the songs but they didn't want to credit him after the 1994 Chandler scandle. The end music that we hear in that documentary does indeed resemble stranger in Moscow... but a remix of stranger of stranger in Moscow that's either on the Stranger in Moscow CD Single or on the Blood on the Dancefloor album sounds almost if not IDENTICAL to the end music in sonic 3.

you can actually download the proper full on band version to the sonic 2 ending theme...which is this overblown j-pop song by a band called dreams come true i think...very strange...

here's the linkie http://www.sonic-cult.org/articles/sweet.htm

I've heard that one before too... think it's on my MP3 player somewhere. It's quite a good song actually. Heh I'm pretty much the Sonic geek as well as a trekkie... been hanging around these Sonic the hedgehog sites for years.

• Advertisement

bah!

i am the bigger sonic geek! (i hope)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario FTW!

ZoMG! U LIKeZ TE MaRIOZ!!!!

ITS 4 BABYZ!!!!!!!!!

The Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Beta is probably the best find in Sonic Dom. I actually tried making my own sonic hack there about a year ago, got about 4 levels into it and then abandoned it as the level editor fecked up the rom to the point where it just wouldn't load any levels anymore if i made any changes. Ahh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Playing Sonic 3, the music, even not mentioned in that video, does seem quite similar to the sort of stuff Michael Jackson did for the Dangerous Album around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

so michael jackson writes his own backing tracks?

and there was me thinking he'd have an engineer/producer to do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

tman wrote:
    so michael jackson writes his own backing tracks?

and there was me thinking he'd have an engineer/producer to do that...

Yea, Michael Jackson does the arrangements and compositions for a lot of his songs. He also plays more than ten instruments. Having said that though, he does have several producers (Quincy Jones being the most notable) but, by 1991, Quincy Jones was gone and MJ was "master of his domain"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

yea it seems strange that they would get jacko to help them with the music seeing as it would be a producer who usually does the music but not knowing fully if jacko is involved in the making of the music it might be possible but its surly a bit of a reach. Id say more than anything they got inspiration from his music if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jacko proberly heard the music when playing Sonic with the kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Mario FTW!

*points to door*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

*points to door*

My guess is: MJ still wanted his music in the game, minus the notoriety of him being involved (a la his appearance on the Simpsons!) and, therefore, allowed his music to be used virtually unedited, without his name appearing on it.

Very nice. It links two of my favourite things together (I must be the last Michael Jackson fan on the island...!)

Advertisement