Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

brokeback/will &grace

Options
  • 23-03-2006 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

Question for gay men:

Does it bother you when straight men play homeosexuals? Most minority/marginalised groups want to be represented by people who are part of their community.

How do you feel about this or do you care?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Doesn't bother me at all. Never really though of it to honest.. Now that I do, I think it would bother me more if the only roles avaliable to gay men were to play gay men.

I can understand why a black man would want a black character to be played by a blank man, rather than a white guy in makeup, but sexual preference is not the same thing imho. There's not necessarily any physical or asthetic difference between gay and straight people.

Plus Jake Gyllenhaal is hot, and if he wants to play a gay guy, all the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Most minority/marginalised groups want to be represented by people who are part of their community.

Damn, really? Never got the memo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i'm remined of minstrel shows. A black character really does have to be black and so forth, but I really don't mind who plays gay characters, once their not cringe worthy. Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger did a really good job, and I completely connected with them. I think people might be a bit shocked that some straights can "get where we're coming from" so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've no issue with it either, all I care about is the quality of their work, not who / what they are or where they come from.
    Goodshape wrote:
    Plus Jake Gyllenhaal is hot, and if he wants to play a gay guy, all the better :)
    Generally I'd agree but not in Brokeback :p

It's not who plays the gay characters more than it is how they're represented in film or TV. I'm much happier seeing the way gay men are represented in Brokeback Mountain compared to the way gay characters are represented in Will and Grace. Two men kissing twice in eight years of the show? Gay men aren't slutty and self-obsessed like Jack. *looks about* Not all Gay men are slutty and self-obsessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Generally I'd agree but not in Brokeback

Mmmmmmm lovely moustache :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does it bother you when straight men play homeosexuals?

Yes, I hate seeing actors pretending to be something they're not.
    </sarc>

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

It doesnt matter if they're straight or not...theyre actors. Will & Grace pisses me off though for creating now what most the general public conceive gay people to me like...that and its a sh*t comedy anyway!:p

Btw when buying tickets for brokeback mountain did anyone else have to stop themselves before accidently saying "two for bareback mountian please"?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Nope. And Rupert Everett pisses me off because he plays nothing but gay men.

carbonkid, yea. In fact for ages i couldn't think of the actual name. I was like "is it mountain, maybe it's bareback mounthing".

Btw, i was readign some ****e gay net mag, and the producers of will & grace where/are trying to get the two lads to do a camio where they kiss. they would play to gay cowboys. Words cannot descrive how weak that would be. The producers would try and try to build up "the kiss", like jesus you have Heath barebacking Jake with nothing more then some spit in the film, a kiss is going to be pretty weak.

• Advertisement

"Two for the gay cowboys please"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

What really bothers me is when non-murderers play the roles of murderers in films. It's a disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Maybe the issue is straight script writer’s writing gay characters and the visa versa.
    Surely the actor is largely portraying the role as written. Yes we'll allow for some interpretation but the script writer is the main force.

Maybe the issue is straight script writer’s writing gay characters and the visa versa.
    Surely the actor is largely portraying the role as written. Yes we'll allow for some interpretation but the script writer is the main force.

Writers write what they think their target audience will find funny. Nobody ever claimed will and grace was aimed at the gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Is there a Straight thread where we can ask are all the straight folk bothered by the gay guys playing straight roles, on and off the set ?

and now a totally unrelated quote for all those film buffs (I would say Ironic but then loads will post that ironic means something else)
    Verbal: "What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody. "

Is there a Straight thread where we can ask are all the straight folk bothered by the gay guys playong straight roles, on and off the set ?

The majority of gay hollywood is closeted. You only have the camp as Christmas ones and the older ones like Mckellen who are out. No action star has ever been gay...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

damien.m wrote:
    The majority of gay hollywood is closeted. You only have the camp as Christmas ones and the older ones like Mckellen who are out. No action star has ever been gay...

yea, as in
    gay guys playing straight roles, on and off the set ?

oh i know that film, is it the usual suspects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Well film is a directors medium not a writers one but thats a good point about the Will & Grace audience [is it for women who keep falling in love with gay men? ].

The closeted gay actors in hollywood who play straight men... yes deserves a thread. Does anyone else think George Clooney is gay?

It's a bad habit to get into speculating about peoples sexuality.

• Advertisement

Why? We have to speculate all the time. I would think gay men of all people know that.

People don't like it when you speculate about their sexuality.

Practically speaking you have to do it. Before you start flirting with someone or ask them out dont you have to figure out whether or not they are gay or straight? Or in the glass closet. Its not as if its polite to ask.

Theres a big difference between "are you gay". And "Omg he's soooo gay, and him,him,him and him, there all gay, cause their cute". Yea know, like?

What?

As a straight woman believe me I have to do a lot of speculating. It's not rude, its just how it is. And from what Ive gathered, outside of explicitely gay establishements it can be difficult for gay men also. The speculation/decoding is part of life now.

You cant ask because - what if your wrong? Or they havent come out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can anyone think of gay actors/actresses who are out, playing straight characters? I know Ian McKellen played Profumo in Scandal, but was he out at the time? I'm sure Rupert Everett has played the role of a heterosexual man. The Comfort of Strangers I think. Again, though, I don't know if he was out at the time.
    The thing about Brokeback Mountain is that Ennis, Heath Ledger's character has never been attracted to a man until he meets Jack, so it's not a case of a straight man playing a gay man. It's more complex than that. The sexuality of Jack is pretty ambiguous too, although it's likely he's gay and he marries just to go with society's flow.

I think the Will & Grace thing is hilarious. I suspect all it's doing is riding (excuse pun) on all the publicity which has nothing to do with the film's actual content (the "gay cowboy movie" and so on). I would think it's kind of a two fingers to all of that misinformed nonsense (well, I'd hope so). Would the writers be that cynical?

Actually they both had been with men before according to the book and Ennis sure knew what to do with some spit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

damien.m wrote:
    Actually they both had been with men before according to the book and Ennis sure knew what to do with some spit...

I beg to differ. In the short story, when it gets to the first time they have sex, it goes along the lines of "nothing Ennis had done before, but no instruction manual needed". Later when they're having a conversation in the motel, Ennis says he had never thought about "doing it with a guy before" and he liked "doing it with women". There's no mention in the short story of Jack being with men before Ennis either, but it's likely he has been.

What?

As a straight woman believe me I have to do a lot of speculating. It's not rude, its just how it is. And from what Ive gathered, outside of explicitely gay establishements it can be difficult for gay men also. The speculation/decoding is part of life now.

You cant ask because - what if your wrong? Or they havent come out yet?

Theres a thread on this forum, not more then a couple thread down about a kid whose's worried about rumors circulating his school about his sexuality. When gay/bi people start speculating openly about others peoples sexuality it only makes it more difficult for people to come out. I find it very annoying when I hear "he's definitely gay" from someone who hardly knows the person in question. When ever I'm asked I just reply with "could be", or "maybe". People who will brand someone else's sexuality as if liking the cock made them experts on sexuality, are tools. What do you expect anyway, beyond camp = gay, builder/sports type = straight.

Dudess: isn't there a book now, nto jsut a short story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

LiouVille wrote:
    When gay/bi people start speculating openly about others peoples sexuality it only makes it more difficult for people to come out.
    Starting rumours is one thing, but surly it's more of an issue when straight people start speculating needlessly (just for the sake of gossip). I'd find it quite difficult (virtually impossable infact) to chat up, or anything similar, a guy in a 'straight bar' because of the taboo of openly questioning someones sexuality... you never ask you never know.

People should learn to be more comfortable with their sexuality and not so easily offended by such speculation, imho. And I'd include myself in that.

And speculating anything about celebraties is just a low form of entertainment. Heaven forbid their prestine image should be 'tainted' by it.

Advertisement