Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house

• 23-03-2006 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Im moving house this friday, and I would just like any advice on how I would switch over the line and BB the best way I can, there wont be a problem getting BB in my new house as its like 1 mile away from my old house. What do you think? Im with eircom and have the 39.99 package.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

bobbly wrote:
    Im moving house this friday, and I would just like any advice on how I would switch over the line and BB the best way I can, there wont be a problem getting BB in my new house as its like 1 mile away from my old house. What do you think? Im with eircom and have the 39.99 package.

sorry, I have to ROFL(if you don't know what that means google it).

Tell eircom ASAP, that you are moving house.

The procedure will more than likely be as follows:
    1. Cancel Broadband on old line
    2. Cancel old line provided bills on old accounts (Broadband and phone) are OK
    3. 2 -5 weeks wait - no reason
    4. Enable the old number at the new address
    5. Enable Broadband on the same number at the new address.

Broadband here is still hundreds of miles behind the UK(in service at least), and yes the entire fault of this lies with Eircom, they control the lines, and hopefully when they are resold again the next owners will be more efficent.

I have seen this work in the UK in under a week. i.e 5 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bobbly

I didnt find it much funny myself as I havent moved before and was just looking for some advice on the best/fastest way of doing it. pml thnx for the reply anyway

The procedure you explained there was totally different to what I actually did, and there was no way I could keep my old number. I had everything done in about a week. Old number canceled - new number up and running with BB in 8 days. Thanks for the reply "rofl"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nuttz wrote:
    sorry, I have to ROFL(if you don't know what that means google it).
    SNIP

Very helpful post nuttz, :rolleyes:
    bobbly glad to hear you got your broadband sorted out as quick as you did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

bobbly wrote:
    The procedure you explained there was totally different to what I actually did, and there was no way I could keep my old number. I had everything done in about a week. Old number canceled - new number up and running with BB in 8 days. Thanks for the reply "rofl"

might be really useful for others if you posted how as it seems to have gone very smooth for you

did you move house and switch provider or just move your services from one house to the other?

• Advertisement

I canceled the BB and the phone in the old house(BB went exactly a day before the phone), I moved about 1 mile away and got a new number and applied for the new BB straight away, that was last monday. They said it would take a while for BB to get details of my new number but that wasnt the case.

They told me it would take at least 10 days but I hooked up the modem and I got a DSL sync, so I reckon it just went faster than expected.

I got the DSL sync before I got the new wireless modem. It worked out pretty sweet even though I could only get the 1MB package as the line isnt good enough(which I think is BS)

I can go into more detail if needed, and this was all with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

be grateful (if you can) that you're with eircom.

I'm with BT, and I've been 5 weeks without phone or broadband since moving house.

Seemingly (and I've had this confirmed independantly) when you move house, you have to get a line test to see how the line is disconnected. either a soft tone or off completely. BT put in a request to eircom, which normally take 2-3 days to do. the results then dictate what type of order BT put in to eircom (remember, it's still eircom's lines) to have the line re-connected.

at the moment, this seems to be taking up to 10-12 days just to do the line test, and in my case at least, eircom have rejected the request twice without explanation.

I've since spoken again with the BT guy who is dealing with it, and have connected a phone and dialled 1901 and can get through to eircom, so we're assuming it's a soft tone and he has placed the order with eircom to have the line activated. I moved in on the 10th of march and I still don't even have a phone line, so it's far from easy at the moment if you aren't with eircom.

[align=right][Posted by 13.16.137.11. This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse of WebWarper: see [url.]http://webwarper.net/han[/url] Example of using WebWarper: [url.]http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/lycos.com[/url] ][/align]

Advertisement