Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 separate broadband connections?

Options
  • 23-03-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about getting in a second broadband connection into our offices incase the primary one goes down, the other would kick in automatically.

Then I thought if we're going to pay for it maybe we could use both connections at the same time? which should in theory, at least, increase our internet connection speed and also give us substancial tolerance for a connection drop.

Anyone know how the setup would work?

I've got a firewall (IPCop) - running on an old PC which also acts a DHCP server.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've done it before with IP Tables

something like this

http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

make sure that if you are LLU now you get, a bitstream DSL next time , or NTL or Digiweb metro

if they are all ethernet presentations (with their own IP addresses) you can configure a layer 3 switch as primary and failover gateways outbound and maybe QOS to split traffic when both are up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

why not just get a load balancing router? job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

We got a router with two WAN ports from Komplett.ie.

Works just fine. Can be set up for load balancing or redundancy.

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314072

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Thanks for the info guys, sounds interesting.

Our current connection is through IBB. We'd be looking to get BT / Smart or something else relatively cheaply to act as a backup secondary connection

Current connection is coming in via ethernet, and any other connection I would get an ethernet as well.

That router from komplett sounds good - but I'd need to configure the two WAN ports to accept username / password and other settings. Can that router do that?

Any other router / layered switch / load balancing router recommendations?

I already have a managed switch in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Actually you don't need to set up the passwords on the router.

Just plug the router into both modems. The username and passwords are kept on modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yeah that's right - my bad.

I've come across this simliar router:
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307216

A little bit more expensive but does give VPN tunnels and other bits and bobs.

Advertisement