Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juicy Roast Ham

• 23-03-2006 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Planning to cook a Ham tonight and want to boil it and then roast it - any ideas of nice things to baste it with and then serve it with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

my mum does great roast ham. i've never made it myself, but i think she mixes some pinapple juice (from a tin, eat the pineapple with the ham) with golden syrup and brown sugar. not sure of the quantities but it will make a sticky paste that's not too runny slide off the ham. after boiling it you cut off the big layer of fat (if there is one0, and then make criss cross slahes over the top of the piece of ham with a sharp knife, spread the sugar/syrup mixture on top and then bake in a hot oven for about 20-30 mins until caramelised.
    sorry the directions are a bit shoddy, you'll probably get a better version of this if you google it. it is absolutely delicious. eat with boiled spuds, cabbage, carrots and tinned pinapple slices. it's great cold the next day for lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't cut off the fat, it keeps the meat moist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I criss-cross the outside of the ham after boiling, then spike the centre of each diamond with a clove (not cloves of garlic.....cloves like you put in hot whiskey).

Then I mix honey, whole-grain mustard, colemans mustard, and sometimes a dash of whiskey together and use that as the baste.

About 30 mins at 200-ish, and bobs your uncle.

Unfortunately, you've probably cooked this yesteday, so I'm a bit late :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

If you like it really hot, brush the meat with a good strong dijon, or english mustard if you prefer, then press muscavado onto the mustard, then criss cross and put on your cloves. For extra opulence, lightly drizzle on some maple syrup for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

bonkey wrote:
    I criss-cross the outside of the ham after boiling, then spike the centre of each diamond with a clove (not cloves of garlic.....cloves like you put in hot whiskey).

Then I mix honey, whole-grain mustard, colemans mustard, and sometimes a dash of whiskey together and use that as the baste.

About 30 mins at 200-ish, and bobs your uncle.

Unfortunately, you've probably cooked this yesteday, so I'm a bit late :(

I have a similar reciepe, add some slow roasted winter veg drizzled with salt and balsmic vingear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Salt and balsamic roast veg sounds brilliant. Normally with baked ham I do a really ggod mash and some blanched buttered spring cabbage, but for roast root veggies I use honey and sesame seeds, a tip from the mother-in-law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You can also do the roast veg with large amounts of fresh rosemary instead of balsamic vinegar. Thyme or sage can also do , but not to everyone's taste.

Shabadu wrote:
    Salt and balsamic roast veg sounds brilliant. Normally with baked ham I do a really ggod mash and some blanched buttered spring cabbage, but for roast root veggies I use honey and sesame seeds, a tip from the mother-in-law.

It really works....Some onion some parsnips, some carrots and some garlic cloves, the garlic just melts and just drools out and the balsamic vinegar is a nice mix with it.

I also roast carrots in honey and ginger, usually tesco's pureé ginger tubes (hey I'm a busy guy) and microwave the carrots using 4 tablespoons of honey and a tablespoon of ginger (depending on the amount I need to make that works for two people) for two minutes then, bung em in the oven for half an hour.

I don't cook roasts usually unless I'm at my parents I need two ovens one for meat and one for veg, it's a bit of mess trying to work it out.

But my traditional veg for a roast is
    winter veg in balsamic vinegar.
    Roast potatoes in olive oil and rosemary.
    I sauté some mushrooms and add cream and green pesto. Odd but it really really works.
    But when I

bonkey wrote:

I should add I'm a big fan of the dash of whiskey in the same way I'm a big fan of a dash of red wine for the "chef's tithe" glass of whatever the food is having.

Advertisement