Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineer to look at house

Options
  • 23-03-2006 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

If you're buying from a new development, should you get an engineer out regularly to check the building out along with foundations and plastering?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It would be a costly exercise to bring an engineer out several times. The other way of looking at it though is when the building is complete the engineer will not be in a position to comment on the soundness of the building (ceiling cracks or wall cracks as the foundation settles can often take years to manifest themselves). When the building is complete the engineers only use to you is to compile a definitive snag list of things to have sorted by the builder (while they are still on-site). I don't know of anyone who brings an engineer with them to inspect the various stages of the building of the property- in an ideal world it would be a good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

From a builder's POV, I wouldn't let your engineer step foot on site because (a) he's not insured and (b) you haven't actually bought the house until completion

If your home is registered with Premier or HomeBond, you can be sure that their own inspectors are doing checks at foundation and roof stage!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

babaduck wrote:
    From a builder's POV, I wouldn't let your engineer step foot on site because (a) he's not insured and (b) you haven't actually bought the house until completion

If your home is registered with Premier or HomeBond, you can be sure that their own inspectors are doing checks at foundation and roof stage!!!

All engineers are inusred by their companies they work for to visit sites. If they are not they are cowboys.

If I was going to get a house built I'd be out at crtical stages (where possible) checking that things where done right. Even if I wasnt an engineer I'd be out taking photos on a regular basis so as to chart the progress of buildings.

At the end of the day it all comes down to money. If you can affrod it by all means do it. If not (like many people) you should have some peace of mind with your homebond or premier guarntee

Advertisement