Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten lost in Park West / Cedar Brook Area

Options
  • 23-03-2006 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Morning People,

My wee ginger/white kitten of about 6 months old made a dash for the door when my mother was leaving for work at 6.30am yesterday morning and hasnt been seen since. This is his first time leaving the house and I hadnt planned on letting him out at all, I wanted to keep him as an indoor cat.
    As you can imagine, Im devastated and am trying to exhaust all avenues of search. Ive checked with neighbours and searched high and low for since he went missing but to no avail.
    If anyone has any tips or ideas, or is living or working in cedar brook or park west (or know of anyone who does), please spread the word and help me find him!
    He doesnt answer to any names, but "here puss!" works quite well.
    He has no collar as he was meant to be indoor only.
    He is very distinctive looking and is a beautiful cat with a very soft coat.
    Mainly ginger/whitish on top and mainly whiteish on the underside, extremelly friendly.

I know the longer this goes on, the less hope I have so please, spread the word if it will help and please advise me on some ideas if anyone has any!!

Many Thanks....
    I can be contacted on 0876252149 and the name is Andy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Andy so sorry to read this.

Get the details up on www.irishanimals.com (and a photo if you can) they also have details on what to do if you've lost a pet.
    Make sure to get in touch with all the vets nearby & give them the details & a photo if possible.
    Any pet shops nearby - again photo & details - the one in tallaght will put up a picture for you
    Get in touch with the cat groups:
    www.kittenadoption.ie
    cats aid
    etc
    & give them the details in case someone finds your cat & gets in touch with any of them.
    if any neighbours have garden sheds ask them to check inside in case he got locked in accidently.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The same thing happened to my friend - the kitten escaped out of an open window. My friend was really upsest and after a month gave up hope. A month after that they got him back!! The neighbours had found the kitten and taken him in!! They gave him back to my friend cos the cat went running to him when he saw him - he remembered who he was and wanted a cuddle etc! :D OP when you get the cat back put a collar on him and get him microchipped to in case he does a runner again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

tk123 wrote:
    The same thing happened to my friend - the kitten escaped out of an open window. My friend was really upsest and after a month gave up hope. A month after that they got him back!! The neighbours had found the kitten and taken him in!! They gave him back to my friend cos the cat went running to him when he saw him - he remembered who he was and wanted a cuddle etc! :D OP when you get the cat back put a collar on him and get him microchipped to in case he does a runner again..

Cheers for the replys, I really hope that he has been taken in because theres still no word one way or another.
    I tried laying a humane cat trap for 2 nights but to no avail and will not be able to trap again for a day or two due to work. I searched all areas that hadnt been searched when I posted above and still no sign.
    Ive checked all local roads every day, usually 2 or 3 times, and havent seen him dead there so Im nearly 100% certain he hasnt been hit by a car, unless he managed to get further than a 2 mile radius which is highly unlikely I imagine, especially considering the local terrain.
    Ive really searched (and I mean really) everywhere locally, both during the day, late at night and early in the morning and havent even seen him.
    I remember about 8 years ago when our first kitten went missing, we'd see him about the place and then he'd come home after he got bored or whatever, but not this time, I just havent seen him.
    Which leads me to believe that he's most likely been taken in by somebody in the area. To be honest, this is one beautiful kitten with a personality to match, quite an amazing wee cat, so this does sound likely.

Ive asked the head of the residents council to add a thing about him in the next newsletter so hopefully if he has been taken in, that'll get the word around!

What ye reckon?
    Please tell me you think its most likely he's been taken in, because thats really what I want to hear right now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

Don't give up hope. Cats have no concept of time at this time of year we have the migrating Toms doing the rounds in search of unspayed females. This could be intimidating for a young cats (I take it he is neutered if not he could be away doing what come naturally) They will also lay low till any danger passes and this can be days. It's a big interesting world to an indoor cat and he may just be away exploring the neighbourhood. There is also a lot of young birds/mice being born and if he has a high pray drive he may be hunting/stalking and waiting.

Cook some chicken nice and hot and smelly place it on the window, hungar will be his drive to return. OK you may get another few cats also but chances are a neutered cat is not far from home but hiding close.

Do the usual posters in the area and contact the various organisations.
    Good luck Claire X

You can send kitten adoption his deatails via the web site www.kittenadoption.ie

Funny you should say that actually, he is the typical hunter type. Seems to be a total natural from what Ive observed of him indoors over the past few months, our other kitten is the opposite totally (and female), both are neutered/spayed aswell, the operation took place about 3 weeks ago and both have recovered 100%.
    Comforting words tho, cheers.
    Only prob with the cooked chicken is that we live in apartments, but we have a garden so that may suffice, he loves chicken, big style. I might stick a full cooked chicken into that cat trap I borrowed hehe!

• Advertisement

3 weeks post op means his hormones have not settled down yet so there is a possibility his head is saying he's still got it.

Just a mention about the humane traps I am sure you don't leave it unattended and by the sounds of it nothing else has gone in. At this time of year (Breeding season) You may unwittingly trap a queen who is nursing kittens with the food.
    Also stray/ex domestic cats can do themselves damage in a trap.

I am sure he will be back.

Claire X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I work nights out in parwest when a cat is more likely to venture out into the business park. I'll keep an eye out when im out on my smoke breaks. Hope he turns up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Andy - as cookieclaire says, don't give up on it. My cat returned after 6 weeks recently (I couldn't believe it) as he had gone on his wanders. I plastered the place with posters (I am still taking them all down :mad: )

He ended up getting lost and roaming until he found a place with other cats and a nice owner. So that's were yours has probably gone - where the food is. And someone is bound to see your posters at some stage.

Cheers for all the replies guys, I shall keep ye all posted if theres any word at all.
    Oh and about the cat trap, its never left unattended, if I cant check it for a period of about an hour or two, i take it in.

In the meantime, as I said, any help much appreciated!
    Cheers...
    Andy

Excellent news for those who are interested, just got the wee lad back about an hour ago. My mam ran into a bloke living 50 yards down the road and he had heard a cat crying for about 2 hours yesterday evening, and it fit the description perfectly. Hearing this, I went straight to that spot after work and low and behold, after 45 mins of calling out and making noise generally, the wee bastard pops his head out from around the side of a car!
    Hes a bit shook up, but seems fairly ok health wise, no scratches or marks, eyes healthy, weight ok, coat a bit dirty but all in all, tis the same cat that left a week ago!!
    Off to the vet with him tomorrow for a check up and hopefully all clear!

There ya go then, these things dont always end up in tears!!

Thanks a million for everyone who replied, cheers lads!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

ah delighted no harm came to the kitty and dat his home safe and sound;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Class news !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah i'm glad he's ok!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Thats great news, Glad the lil critter is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Delighted for you and the little fella ABO3! Extra treats tonight!:D

Little beggar. Great news have a hug.:D
    Claire X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thats good to hear!.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Fantastic News - so happy for you :)

Advertisement