Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I bother paying it?

Options
  • 23-03-2006 12:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 waz

Never mind the aggro why not just pay up. Taxes are a b****h but in general we all have some obligation to pay them.
    Are they not the source of funding for education, healthcare, etc are these not services we all seek. :confused:
    The fact you put the cash away to pay your taxes, indicates that you may have some morals and ethics, and it is not just the potential aggro associated with the non-payment of your taxes that is preventing you from stealing financial resources from these services.

to sum up IT IS NOT OK FOR YOU TO STEAL FROM ME !

Sorry for the rant but really getting tired of a culture where we forget that such activities are actually impacting on the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ffs it's not like he's rezoning land or anything :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 waz

no but as I said ..the culture is the problem
    tax avoidence for one person, benefit fraud for another bet the guys rezoneing land didnt think it was such a big deal either. all a matter of perspective....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Ballyman wrote:
    I haven't paid the tax yet and I was wondering what are the possibilities of this being followed up as it's so small?? Or would I save myself a lot of aggro in the future by just paying up??

It may not be followed up in the immediate future but if you are audited and it is discovered there is a chance of you being fined and having to pay the tax anyway (plus interest at a punitive rate). In my mind it's not worth the potential hassle it would cause you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

waz wrote:
    no but as I said ..the culture is the problem
    tax avoidence for one person, benefit fraud for another bet the guys rezoneing land didnt think it was such a big deal either. all a matter of perspective....

Nothing wrong with Tax Avoidance, its evasion thats the problem. Tax Avoidance is part of good business practice.

@ the Ballyman, pretty much any accountant I have spoken to has remarked that revenue are coming down on small businesses\sole traders\nickser guys that previously slipped through the cracks.

Your liabilty is probably quite small, so id say pay it. Consider it to be an investment. The chances of being cought out now are greater than ever. Then, if you are cought, you will ALWAYS be under their RADAR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement