Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore Sighters

Options
  • 23-03-2006 1:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying a bore sighter and my choices look like a laser one or an optical one. Any comments on one versus the other? Im inclined to go for the optical one they seem to be a bit more versitile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Rew
    I have a laser one. it looks the same as an empty shell. all you do is switch it on and load it like a live round and adjust your scope as nessessory.

You can also get slieves for them so that they are interchangable with other calibers. I think it cost me somewhere around 80 or 90 dollers but they are availible on ebay seen them there a while ago. hust go on and in the decription box type laser boresighters.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Bought a laser one for 17HMR/.22LR on eBay.com for, I think around $20.

It uses an adjustable auger to fit in the end of the barrel. Its OK for a rough bore sighting in. But, to be honest, its as easy just to look through the barrel and sight it in the old fashioned way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The laser one sounds very very handy, might pick one of those up

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup, quick ebay search shows laser boresighters for $20 still.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I was looking on ebay alright but I was trying to decide between the 2 types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

whats the use of one i know what it does but rough boresighting can be done easily and then its a matter of around 10-20 shots to get it perfect

do you guys change scopes the whole time?
    will and expensive bore sighter sight it in perfect?

Quote: 20-30 shots to get it right!!!

Yeah @€;2 each:rolleyes:
    I think mabye not:D

If $20 is too much to spend, why wouldn't your club get this as club gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Tom is right, our 270 rounds cost nearly 2 euro a shot if not 2.50. A bore sighter if used well and with experience can get you to zero in about 5 shots.

I don't change scope at all but the rifle takes some knocks every now and then, nothing that would damage the gun but enough to make me think maybe the scope is out after that one. Its good practice as well to make sure when hunting deer that your gun is shooing where you are aiming, speeking from experience the less pain an animal suffers the better.

Its a rough tool to cut down the number of shots need to zero and for $20 is nothing over a ifetime of shooting in what it will save you

Spot on Vegeta!:)

• Advertisement

Like I said Veg, if it's a tool that everyone will use, but not very often, then why wouldn't the local club buy it as club gear? I mean, that's one of the reasons we have clubs in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

Vegeta wrote:
    Tom is right, our 270 rounds cost nearly 2 euro a shot if not 2.50. A bore sighter if used well and with experience can get you to zero in about 5 shots.

Its a rough tool to cut down the number of shots need to zero and for $20 is nothing over a ifetime of shooting in what it will save you

I have one of the laser bore-sights. To use it, you remove the bolt and slide the laser in place of the bolt. I think it is a useful tool to get on the paper, but I have still needed to shoot anywhere from 9-18 rounds to zero in the scope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

My .22 is lever action so i cant boresight the conventional way so my friend has a lazer one that fits in the end of the barrel.I was quite surprised to find that the sights get knocked around quite a lot especially taking it in and out of the safe and putting it in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Redstag

I use the Optical grid shotsaver. It costs about €75 (probably cheaper on eBay), and comes with a range of barrel inserts so can be uses for nearly every bore of Rifle.

The optical grid screws onto the barrel insert, and you put the lot into the barrel with the grid facing your scope. You look through the scope and adjust the cross hair to dead centre of the grid. This zeros your scope to 100 yards.

Remove the insert from barrel and then using a zeroing paper target (should be freely available on net) set up at 100 yards away, you'll zero the rifle to your own liking within 3 shots. A very satisfying method if I say so myself.

I can supply the shotsaver and paper targets. If anyone is interested, just PM me.

Advertisement