Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT broadband wireless in Galway?

Options
  • 23-03-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Yesterday a young BT salesman called at the door to offer broadband wireless at 10 euros a month. I am tempted, but wonder if it is really available. He claims it is (we are about 7 miles north of Galway City). Anybody else seen BT salesmen going door-to-door like this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is a wireless and DSL combo gizmo not pure wireless . They are trying to sell you their basic 1down 128k up DSL package with line rental which is €10 for the BB on top of the line rental (an excellent deal mind if their billing does not cock up ) which will probably run off the Clargalway exchange :D .

Its €35 a month for the full package including line rental. €10 for the BB bit of it.

Its not 'pure' wireless . Digiweb Metro IS pure wireless and works out in Lackagh BTW , also €35 a month but for 3Mbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Hi Spongebob,

Is Metro working in Lackagh? When Metro came out in October last year, I thought I got broadband for the first time in my life. I live near Clonboo.
    I even placed an enthusiastic post here on this forum.
    I placed an order but it was cancelled a month later as Digiweb thought I could not receive a signal (my official address says Corrandulla)

If Lackagh can receive Metro, I guess I can (or has Lackagh its own mast?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb (contacts on www.digiweb.ie) are the folks to ask. Fill in the online "contact form" and they seem to usually repl. Or Chaz / Crawler may answer if they arn't busy.

AFAIK our favorite Boards Sponge deosn't work for them and knows more about adsl enablement. But perhaps I'm wrong and he has a secret map of all the masts in Ireland.

Lackagh is quite high up. Can you actually see the top half of the large eircom mast in Mervue from your house Tom ????

I am platform agnostic watty, bar VSAT . That gets me squirting in every direction .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I am platform agnostic watty, bar VSAT . That gets me squirting in every direction .

Mostly so am I. Though I tend to be more defensive of what ever thinks I'm stuck with!

So can you email me your secret list of masts :)

SAT a'int BB. Not untill the Ansible is invented (Ursula LeGuin). The Ansible overcomes even Interstellar latancy issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Yes, from here I have a clear view across the bog of the Eircom mast. Another note about the BT deal is that it has a 3 month trial period and unlike Irish Broadband, doesn't require a minimum 12 month contract. I pay about 80 euros every two months to Eircom for my ISDN line and then 24 or 25 a month to UTVip for the Internet connection, so the BT price looks very good, even though I don't believe what the salesmen tell me about prices until the first bill arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

So how does BT Wireless work? Do they all use the Eircom mast in Mervue?

I have clear view as well, my NTL is coming from Mervue as well, and Digiweb too I think?

Seems it's really time to make some phone calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

There is no BT Wireless - it's BT DSL, with a wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I got a letter Wednesday from BT saying they were working on changing me over from Eircom to BT so I could go broadband. Then Saturday another letter arrived saying I was either too far from an exchange or my copper line wasn't adequate for having broadband.

As the wise of this earth say, "The salesman will promise you anything, but the engineer will decide whether you get it."

Tom

The line test was changed about monday , that letter you got _may_ refer to the older more demanding line test so try them again .

and what about Metro ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement