Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Comedy" on the last word

• 23-03-2006 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard the new "comedy" sketches on the recently extended Last Word ? To say they're dire is an understatement , coming from a station with such a high example of previous comedy i.e. Navan Man , Gift Grub its very disappointing .
    The sketches feature two Garda recruits called TJ and TJ and are just so embarrassing I could barely sit through them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

no i havent heard them yet. sort of stopped listening to the last word, seem to be tuning into the right hook on newstalk more these days. does anyone know where you can get the navan man sketches. some of them were classic. i know there's a dr.bill cd, but id love to get my hand on the navan man material!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

meldrew wrote:
    The sketches feature two Garda recruits called TJ and TJ and are just so embarrassing I could barely sit through them

I heard this a few days ago, didn't think it was too bad to be honest, each to their own, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Didn't think it was too bad either. Thought their earlier Tubridy sketches were good "ryan luas" was the name used and the entertainment correspondent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nadanone

I heard it a comple of weeks ago and I have t admit i felt the same as you meldrew - it was cringworthy - although saying that I have heard once since and it seemed to be marginally funnier.. is it on everyday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to admit to laughing, sorry! :o

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I haven't heard these either! The sketches wouldn't be written by the same team that does "Scobie" and "Slasher" on Spin by any chance?

That was pure muck as well, about as funny as catching your balls in a waste compactor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

yes, I must agree, it was total crap.....:mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

ya it's cringeworthy. hard to listen to.
    there was one funny bit though.
    at the end one of them says..and remeber whatever you do..dont get out of the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If anyone wants to listen, they're here: http://todayfm.com/Article.asp?id=210384

Amusing in places, but more miss than hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I thought they were very funny myself but as the saying goes different strokes for different folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Ive heard them lately and think that some are extremely funny. The sketch of Wednesday 3rd August was absolutely hilarious.

http://www.radioireland.ie/lastword/lastword.html
    The 6pm hour, about 20mins in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

meldrew wrote:
    Dere very funny so they are, and by de way, have ye any tax on dat ve-he-cal now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

its the best comedy on the radio at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's so unfunny it's not even unfunny anymore. I'm glad the OP pointed out they were comedy clips because even though I'll usually 'get' a joke even when I don't find it amusing that stuff just doesn't even sound like it's trying to be anything other than two minutes of rambling chatter.

I guess if a clip based around "Charlie Haugheys Funeral" doesn't get me laughing then nothing from this duo will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I heard it last night for the first time and the two coppers on it, what a load of bollix. They took 30 secs from my life last night ....and I want it back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Much better than any of your Gift Grub sh1te, imho.

Much better than any of your Gift Grub sh1te, imho.
    they're just two typical culshie coppers. not very clever.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

el diablo wrote:
    they're just two typical culshie coppers. not very clever.....:rolleyes:
    Wouldnt fancy being in the vicinity of themwhen they are recording it either as one of the clowns sounds like hes spitting more than hes talking :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

r3nu4l wrote:

That was pure muck as well, about as funny as catching your balls in a waste compactor!
    that'd be pretty funny, in fairness. as long as it happened to someone else, of course.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Tj & Tj are the best thing I've heard on radio since navanman and im sure its the same guys behind it.
    Thse of you who call them 'cringeworthy' are either real life 'Ross O'Carroll Kellys' from D4 who just dont get it or else you just have no sense of humour.
    Granted it's silly, but it's also quite clever and as tongue in cheek as possible.what theyve done to date. The sketch about the 'reserves' was priceless.
    Personally I love them. Hope they release what theyve done to date sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

oddone wrote:
    Tj & Tj are the best thing I've heard on radio since navanman and im sure its the same guys behind it.

Nope - Stephen Price was both The Drunken Politician & Navan Man but not this rubbish
    oddone wrote:
    Thse of you who call them 'cringeworthy' are either real life 'Ross O'Carroll Kellys' from D4 who just dont get it

Neither a southsider nor a trustafarian & I don't get it cos it's just bad
    oddone wrote:
    or else you just have no sense of humour.

zero from 3

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

TJ &TJ can be mildly amusing at times but it shows how bad creatively things are in this country if people get excited by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yep I'll agree it's alright to listen to, but it's rare that they raise any sort of laugh out of me. That said though, no matter how bad the attempt at comedy is, it at least lightens the mood from the usual serious mood of the show, if only for a minute or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

oddone wrote:
    Thse of you who call them 'cringeworthy' are either real life 'Ross O'Carroll Kellys' from D4 who just dont get it or else you just have no sense of humour.
    Ha thats class, insulting people for not having the same taste as you, you'll go a long way baby :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm with the posts above; there have been a few TJ & TJ slots that got me laughing, but most of the time it doesn't even raise a smile.

Mind you, the fact that it gets me lauging once or twice is an improvement from "The Drunken Politician" or "Dr Bill" - always switched them off, they were so bad.....
    So if we don't agree, we get labelled as having no sense of humour or being from D4 :eek: ? Please don't post your thoughts on Live 95's breakfast show, Little Britain or a million other "funny" :rolleyes: things on radio or TV, so, as I'll start to think I've a negative sense of humour, despite me LMAO at Gift Grub, Frasier, Two Pints, Scrubs, etc, etc.....

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I'm with the posts above; there have been a few TJ & TJ slots that got me laughing, but most of the time it doesn't even raise a smile.

Mind you, the fact that it gets me lauging once or twice is an improvement from "The Drunken Politician" or "Dr Bill" - always switched them off, they were so bad.....

So if we don't agree, we get labelled as having no sense of humour or being from D4 :eek: ? Please don't post your thoughts on Live 95's breakfast show, Little Britain or a million other "funny" :rolleyes: things on radio or TV, so, as I'll start to think I've a negative sense of humour, despite me LMAO at Gift Grub, Frasier, Two Pints, Scrubs, etc, etc.....
    I agree that TJ and TJ is crap but I did like Dr. Bill. it was Tom Dunne who played Bill Cullen, wasn't it?

Advertisement