Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom game Third week

• 23-03-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Well its the third game for me this season. After much build up and many many signings Dundalk Fc are failing at the first hurdle losing to shamrock rovers and Cobh in teh opening two games of the season. The pressure is already mounting on John Gill to start bouncing back and some fans are wondering if he is the right man for the job after St Patricks day display at oriel park.

Many of you guys here know me as a pure eircom league enthuist, but last week while in oriel park which is the coldest place in the world i was pondering whether i could watch much more of it. Thats how bad my over weight team played.

Anyway this week brings three games in five days , first one been tonight at oriel pack vs kildare. I hope they really get the finger out. We will miss hughes up front and kelly at the back and still without lynch and finn. I dont know where the goals are going to come from. We need ger mccarthy ;)

full review
    Kildare County have completed the
    signing of former St Pat's, Bray,
    Shelbourne and Dundalk midfielder
    Thomas Morgan.

The 28-year-old should make his County
    debut against his former club at Oriel
    Park tonight.

Ian Malone will deputise for the
    suspended Graham Gibbs in the Kildare
    defence, after Gibbs was dismissed in
    the 5-2 loss to Finn Harps last week.

Dundalk, who have lost their opening
    two games of the campaign, are without
    Simon Kelly and Philip Hughes due to
    suspension while Aidan Lynch (calf) and
    Sean Finn (knee) remain out injured.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't believe Morgan is only 28, he looks about 38!

Tomorrows Games:
     EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION         
     Bray Wanderers -v- Longford Town   7.45
                        Carlisle Grounds    
     Derry City     -v- Sligo Rovers    7.45
                        The Brandywell      
     Dublin City    -v- Drogheda United 7.45
                        Dalymount Park      
     St Pat's Ath   -v- Shelbourne      7.45
                        Richmond Park       
     Waterford Utd  -v- UCD             7.45
                        RSC                 
     Cork City      -v- Bohemians *     7.45
                        Turner's Cross      

* Live on RTÉ TWO.

I'm going with 1-1, 2-0, 0-2, 0-1, 0-1 and 3-1.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hoping to get down to the Carlisle Brounds tomorrow night to keep up my renewed interest in all things Eircom League related. After a decent unbeaten start from Bray im looking from more of the same even if perhaps they are a tad lucky to be still unbeaten. I look forward to another freezing night in Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If ever i wanted to play Shels its this week, the hoodoo gotta end sometime.

Reasonably optimistic of a result but tbh we are solid right tru the side so it will possibly be 1-0. And awwww Weso not playing :p

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Can't believe Morgan is only 28, he looks about 38!

He plays like it as well ;)

KdjaC wrote:
    If ever i wanted to play Shels its this week, the hoodoo gotta end sometime.

Hehe, sure does!
    Reasonably optimistic of a result but tbh we are solid right tru the side so it will possibly be 1-0. And awwww Weso not playing :p

Wes who? :p

• Advertisement

Mulcahy would have had him for breakfast, Pats fan at the start of the season said "Dave Mulcahy is a hard bastard" you find out why morrow night.

:)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Might be a tight one at Tolka tomorrow, but I hope to see Rovers win and really lay down an early season marker. They were very good in Athlone by all accounts and Jamie Duffy looks like being a real find.

My brother has been ranting about him (Mulcahy) for a while too. As well as "We are top of the league" every 5 minutes or so. I never knew a draw against Waterford and a win against UCD could make people sooooo happy!

Imagine what it'd be like if you beat us tomorrow! Thats right, I said "imagine"...

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I never knew a draw against Waterford and a win against UCD could make people sooooo happy!

Creating chances and defending well, simple eh?

kdjac

We'll see... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

duffy is being touted on the hoops home page as the find of the season, i think robbie sheilds is looking good too, thats a solid team but could they do the business in the EL? its all well and good beating D1 teams but we as rovers should be looking to the prospect of promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

blu_sonic wrote:
    duffy is being touted on the hoops home page as the find of the season, i think robbie sheilds is looking good too, thats a solid team but could they do the business in the EL? its all well and good beating D1 teams but we as rovers should be looking to the prospect of promotion.
    Thats how you get promoted, beating D1 teams! ;):D

13 games since we last beat Shels, and 9 years since we last beat UCD in Belfield!!!!

kdjac

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Thats how you get promoted, beating D1 teams! ;):D
    oh i know but i have the full confidence in the team of doing that, however i don't know about after we get promotion, the cups will be a good litmus test

LOL
    FREE NIVEA GIFTS FOR SUPPORTERS
    Tickets are selling well ahead of Friday’s game with Shelbourne. A steady stream of supporters have bought tickets from the club office in anticipation of the Dublin Derby. The club office will remain open Thursday evening until 7pm for additional sales.

The Saints are entering the game with a full squad and undefeated. The players will train as normal tonight ahead of the game.

Manager John McDonnell is feeling positive about the outcome of the Shelbourne showdown. ‘The lads have been hard at work training during the week,’ said John. Team captain Darragh Maguire has appealed to all supporters to get behind the team from the start. ‘The supporters can be our 12th man,’ said Darragh.

Match sponsor for the evening is Nivea for Men and supporters can expect free samples in exchange for their loyal support. Let’s hope by the end of the night Inchicore will be full of happy fans and flawless faces!

Make sure to purchase tickets ahead of time and lend your voice to some RICHMOND RACKET! Let’s get behind Johnny and the boys this Friday night and ignite Inchicore with the Saints’ spirit!

kdjac

^Pity Chris Adamson is already gone.

Oh that is low, even for me...

He was actually in goals for Sheffield Wednesday when I went over to Southampton for the game in February, and got a ridiculous amount of stick, mostly self-inflicted because he couldn't find the ball for a kickout twice even though it was right behind him on both occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk 0 - 1 Kildare

I honestly can't see me been able to go up and watch much more of this the players have no interest ! Why should the fans ?
    There isn't much to report on tonight just that Dundalk looked like a amatuer side and i have lost all faith in the manager and the players and will not be going up to oriel park again unless there is radical changes !
    Im so downhearted now.

don't beat yourself up about it, the team are just having a bad patch no reason to stop supporting them, this is the time when they need your support

Happens everyone Sarge, sure even Shels are Won 2, Drawn 4, Lost 1 this season (accounting for tomorrows win in advance).

It's even better for you considering theres a decent shout you'll be promoted regardless of how you do!

Shels preview of tomorrows game:
    Pat Fenlon won’t decide on his lineout until Friday morning, for the league game away to St Patrick’s Athletic in Inchicore later that evening. After just two series of games in the new league, St Pats sit at the top of the table on four points along with Cork & Drogheda, with three clubs behind them on three points, followed by Shels on two points with the Tolka Park outfit having drawn both of their league starts.

Speaking to ShelsWeb, Fenlon explained: “There’s still two or three places up for grabs in the team I have in mind to play on Friday night and I want to keep all the lads on their toes, so I won’t be making my mind up until the morning. I pick the best eleven as I see it, for the game coming up. Although I’ve used most of the squad in last few games, I’m not operating a rotation system or anything like that. My team selection is based on how they perform in training during the week and tactically against whoever the opposition is.”

The Shels manager was much happier with the performance his side put in against Linfield, in last Monday night’s Setanta Sports Cup scoreless game. He said, “We played so much better in that game, particularly in the way we passed the ball around, it was just unfortunate that we just didn’t score on the night. One goal could as easily have been followed by one or two more. I’m happy enough with Jason and Glen upfront together, but that’s not to say that Gary O’Neill won’t get a look in. He’s working hard and looking very sharp in training.”

Fenlon is impressed with the side his opposite number in Inchicore has put together this season and with their start to the season: “Johnny had quite a young inexperienced team last year, but he’s bought well during the close season and brought in some very good players like Trevor Molloy, Paul Keegan and Mark Rutherford. He’s got a very decent squad now and I’m not surprised they’ve started so well. We need a win in the league, but games between us are always hard, it’s another Dublin derby, and this one will be no different.”

In team news, Greg O’Halloran is still sidelined, while Alan Moore will probably also miss out although he has returned to training this week. Dave Rogers may have done enough against Linfield on Monday to hold off the challenge of Sean Dillon at centre half. Equally, Ollie Cahill had a great game on the left wing in that game running himself to a standstill, and if Fenlon retains him there, then Dave Crawley may hang onto the left back slot. The Shels manager may also have one eye on next Monday’s SSC game in Belfast against Glentoran, in which both Owen Heary and Colin Hawkins are suspended and this could influence his team selection against St Pats.

ShelsWeb guesstimated team: Williams; Heary, Hawkins, Rogers, Crawley; Ryan, S Byrne, Ndo, Cahill; Crowe, O’Neill.

In other news, team physio Larry Byrne is stepping down from the bench. He had been on extended leave of absence from his day job so that he could work full-time with the Shels squad, but must now return to that job. He will be replaced by another familiar and popular figure in Tolka Park – Tony McCarthy. ShelsWeb extends best wishes to both Larry and Tony in their future endeavours.

Happy with that team prediction with one exception, needn't bother saying who it is...

• Advertisement

to me it sounds like he just doesn't know what his team is, maybe he's going to stay up all night and figure it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

waterford are playing ucd, i think it should be a win for waterford, they proved last week that they are able for the premier league just after basically building a new team, i know its full of youngsters but they look ok,
    waterford 2 ucd 1 i think

Happy with that team prediction myself. Barreller and O'Neill should be great, andwe should see Glen with more chances to bury. Loving the fact that Nutsy seems to be back into the idea of playing 2 wingers, and Ndo in his rightful slot - central midfield.

Bray at home to Longford, though word from a very reliable source says that half the Bray team is dying of bronchitis.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    (accounting for tomorrows win in advance).

Have we learned nothing from football? Never predict a win always err on the cautious side and say "we can/could/should/might possibly win" but never just say we going to win unless your playing Rovers or Dundalk ;p

kdjac

Or Shels! :eek:

Caffrey out , Mulcahy expected to slot in as CB Foley and Reilly CM.

Pats probable:

Ryan
    Quigley Maguire Mulcahy Frost
    Rutherford Reilly Foley O Connor
    Molloy Keegan

Moore and Halloran out for Shels.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

flicking through the papers there and there's a big write up on the "Pats for Richmond" group in the Daily mail... Fancy a pats win tonight for some reason..

as for tonight, reckon its gonna be fairly close between us and bohs, especially as we're missing roy o'donovan, and we;ve a few carrying knocks, joe gamble, georgie and neal horgan. 1-1 I reckon..

Roar wrote:
    flicking through the papers there and there's a big write up on the "Pats for Richmond" group in the Daily mail... Fancy a pats win tonight for some reason..

In all papers cept the tabloids afaik, altho well done for doing it. I rememeber K.R.A.M so know how futile this can be when theres wads of cash floating around.

kdjac

Bray - Longford is already off

The eircom League acted quickly this morning and has confirmed that they have contacted all home clubs to ascertain the state of their pitches following last night's heavy rain.
    Two games in Dublin are subject to inspection as is the game in Waterford.

There will be a 12noon inspection at the RSC ahead of Waterford United's game with UCD. Dalymount Park (Dublin City v Drogheda United) and Tolka Park (Shamrock Rovers v Galway United) are subject to 1pm inspections.

"No further inspections have been requested at present but if this situation changes, details of same will also be announced as soon as they are available."

http://www.irishfootballonline.com/

Summer football FTW!!!

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Have we learned nothing from football? Never predict a win always err on the cautious side and say "we can/could/should/might possibly win" but never just say we going to win unless your playing Rovers or Dundalk ;p

kdjac
    tut tut tut. lol. we'll see give us a cup tie (god its shoddy only meeting prem teams in the cup) and we'll see who the daddy's are!! although i've no idea how we'd do against an ELP team

tolka is a swimming pool, tolka is a swimming pool,
    nah nah naaa naaaaaa
    nah nah naaa naaaaaa
    tolka is a swimming pool, tolka is a swimming pool

nah nah naaa naaaaaa
    nah nah naaa naaaaaa

/q Jaws music and Taxmen in Scuba gear ;)

kdjac

No pitch check in Richmond, or is it already deemed playable.

Any word on ticket sales KdjaC?

kdjac wrote:
    nah nah naaa naaaaaa
    nah nah naaa naaaaaa

/q Jaws music and Taxmen in Scuba gear

kdjac

^As well as removing all student concessions. I have been told I can't take the night off work, and I can't find someone to cover me, so I'm not going to be able to go to Richmond by the looks of things... :(

ollie is a money grabber, lol. still better than football hooligan i suppose

• Advertisement

Afaik 3 sides are open so possible 4k capacity expect 3ish if Shels bring a good crowd. Place is in bits more than usual :)

Joesoap cough cough feeling a bit under the weather? you sound sick!

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Joesoap cough cough feeling a bit under the weather? you sound sick!

Well I did just walk for 30 minutes in the pouring rain to try and get the evening off! Maybe I picked up something en route!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

We could be in trouble tonight, the way Ndo has started the season I doubt our mid field will be able to contain him. Why oh why did we sell him to Pats :(

Slash/ED wrote:
    We could be in trouble tonight, the way Ndo has started the season I doubt our mid field will be able to contain him. Why oh why did we sell him to Pats :(

He wouldnt get a game for us now, but im sure him and any other Shels player be available during the window for free and not the outlandish 5k they originally wanted..

kdjac

Slash/ED wrote:

What sort of reception do you think the Shels fans will give him tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anyone watching the Cork vs. Bohs game on RTE 2? Good game so far.

god i forgot it was on i thought it was a 9pm KO god only knows why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Stuck in work so missign the Blues game tonight. Unsurprisingly no news from it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Surely Fenlon's days are numbered at Shels? Mid Table at best tis season the way things are going for them.

Waterford 0 UCD 1

Derry 2 Sligo 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

finnpark wrote:
    Surely Fenlon's days are numbered at Shels? Mid Table at best tis season the way things are going for them.

5 year contract, they cant afford to sack him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

bohsman wrote:
    5 year contract, they cant afford to sack him.

Err, they cant afford to keep him I would say.Crowe and Byrne up front and they have still not scored in 4 competitive matches. They seem to have all the best players but when you watch them paly they have no system, just pass it about in front of opposition's defence and then lose it. Crowe and Byrne are wasted at a club like that.

Derry 3 Sligo 0

Dublin City 0 Drogs 1
    St Pats 2 Shels 1
    Cork 1 Bohs 0

• Advertisement
Advertisement