Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Profession skills

Options
  • 23-03-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

What would you say is the best set of secondary skills for crafting / making money? I've tried skinning / leather working (on a hunter and shaman), and it seems quite reasonable. Another character (warlock) got herbalism / potions, which doesn't seem to do as well. I've just started mining / blacksmithing (warrior) as well, but don't really have a good view of it yet.

In general, what would be the best set for a low level character to make some cash and useful goodies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

What would you say is the best set of secondary skills for crafting / making money? I've tried skinning / leather working (on a hunter and shaman), and it seems quite reasonable. Another character (warlock) got herbalism / potions, which doesn't seem to do as well. I've just started mining / blacksmithing (warrior) as well, but don't really have a good view of it yet.

In general, what would be the best set for a low level character to make some cash and useful goodies?

For making money Gathering is the best way. Gather herbs of any type in bundles of 20, and sell them on the auction house for an avergae price. Same with Mining. LOADS of wannabe engineers looking for copper etc, just go around collecting the materials and then sell them in bindles on the AH.

As for a crafting proff.... Everyone needs health and mana potions at high end.. (also great fire protection and swiftness potions) they sell for decent enough gold.

Shurgs... theres money in everything if you spend time at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Herbalism is a good skill. Even at low levels (50s), you will sometimes get a piece of swiftthistle along with whatever else you're gathering. 10 of these will sell for 1g and a bit in the Auction House. At low levels, nothing else can match that kind of money-making power. No idea why they're in such demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Swiftthisthle is used in swiftness pots.....which get used by some guilds for kiting the adds in the Razorgore encounter.

Mageroyal also sells well as it is used for gaining rep with the thorium brotherhood.

at higher levels herbs such as Grave moss, Ghost Mushrooms ,Gromsblood, Dreamfoil, Mountain silversage , Ice cap also sell very well. Herbalism is a pretty good way for making cash

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Stranglekelp sells for a lot on some servers. I made a killing with that.
    Find the best spots for it, one beach in particular (can't recall the name now! it's near alliance territory, the foresty area with Horde camp on the beach) and keep swimming around picking the herbs. It helped that my char was Undead (less going up for air).

Ghost Mushroom, Gromsblood, Ice Cap and Dreamfoil go for a lot too. Just stick on some music and farm away for your herbs, easy money (though it can be tedious).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

seamus wrote:
    you will sometimes get a piece of swiftthistle along with whatever else you're gathering. 10 of these will sell for 1g and a bit in the Auction House.

Man, your selling them way too low. Youll have no problem getting 1g for 2 or 3 of them regardless of the server :) (Hint, anything rogues need/like sells for a fortune )

As people have said, Gathering professions are the way forward. Make sure you take skinning and then either mining or herbalism (you dont want both those as they share the same minimap radar). You only need to decide if you want to be an alchemist or an engineer later on and choose the suitable feeder prof.

Lets say you decide to go the alch route. You keep skinning and herbalism all the way to 60. (dont worry about not having a profession, it really doesnt matter untill endgame). Skin and Pick herbs at every available oppurtunity. Sell EVERYTHING on the AH. You will have your money for your mount at about lvl 30.

When you finally reach 60 (you can do this earlier, its just easier to wait till the cap). Drop skinning and take herbalism, and start farming the lower level herbs (your herbalism will be maxed out and youll have a note of all the nodes from a mod called 'gatherer' - invaluable) This way, you can level in about a day. You know have 2 fully skilled up professions. This works exactly the same way with mining and engineering (youll probably make more money with mining than herbalism but in the long run, alchemy is far more profitable than engineering)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Definately alchemy is more profitable than engineering. Note though that you will probably make more selling the herbs you pick than making potions with them (as other people are happy to pay a premium for the mats so they can powerlevel the skills). Also note that engineering is really a skill for yourself (ie it gives you abilities that your class may not have already like ressurection, lock picking, mind control etc), I definately wouldn't class it as a profession for making you money, but provided you have enough money the extra abilities it gives may be well worth it.

So far I'm seeing that the money is coming in from mining, not so much from herbalism. I don't think I've had one copper auction fail to sell, but my herbs are 50/50. Earthroot seems to sell, the others not so much so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I made 45g at level 40 on Saturday grinding lesser rock elementals outside Kargoth. They drop elemental earths which sell at anywhere in between 50 silver - 1g 30silver each depending on the server. They'll sell within minutes of spaming trade chat in ogrimar on my server. It's unbelievable.

As for proffessions, I've gone for mining and blacksmithing. The two go hand in hand and when you get your black smithing high enough you can make some nice blue items that will probably sell well. I havn't made a lot of money from mining, although it's only at about 150 at the minute so I can't really mine for anything good, but I've seen that true silver sells well in the AH on my server at least. I think I remember seeing a stack of 10 go for about 6g.

I was toying with the idea of dropping the herbalism in favour of something else ... I might give blacksmithing a try.

What is enchanting like? Worth bothering with at low levels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Drakar wrote:
    Definately alchemy is more profitable than engineering. Note though that you will probably make more selling the herbs you pick than making potions with them (as other people are happy to pay a premium for the mats so they can powerlevel the skills). Also note that engineering is really a skill for yourself (ie it gives you abilities that your class may not have already like ressurection, lock picking, mind control etc), I definately wouldn't class it as a profession for making you money, but provided you have enough money the extra abilities it gives may be well worth it.

Yeh, sorry i should have said you wont make any money from enginneering but you will continue to make a ton of cash from the stuff you mine.

Engineering is probably the best skill to have for pvp. The items really are very handy to have. Alchemy is good for pve.

To the miner that says hes not making money - Doesnt matter what your skill is, you will sell all the bars (copper, iron, thorium, doesnt really matter) that you can put up on the AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

seamus wrote:
    Herbalism is a good skill. Even at low levels (50s), you will sometimes get a piece of swiftthistle along with whatever else you're gathering. 10 of these will sell for 1g and a bit in the Auction House. At low levels, nothing else can match that kind of money-making power. No idea why they're in such demand.
    It's also used by rogues to brew thistle tea, a pot that instantly restores 100 energy. It's very useful for BG, and the demand pushes prices up. But no way would I pay a gold for a single piece of swiftthistle. 2-3g would be about the max I would pay for a 10 stack.

Anyway, other than all the very good advice on professions here, all I would say is try to follow the standard market forces of supply and demand. If there is something in high demand and relatively short supply on your server, and you can farm it, you can earn money for it. At higher levels this is going to be stuff like essences, felcloth, certain types of leather, kingsblood, certain types of gems, etc etc. You'll figure this stuff out from AH prices.

At lower levels, try skinning (as an extra bonus try skinning around popular towns/grinding areas - other peoples kills may be skinned if they haven't got the skinning profession).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Fadeleaf can go for a bit of g as well.
    Recently lvl'd a Tauren Shammy as my herb alt and I've f'in blinding powder coming out my ears now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I find a fair bit of money can be made from leatherworking. I'm L44 now and my leather is about 180. There are some decent items to craft at that level that can sell for a gold or two. I think its at 200 Leather that you can learn Artisan in Aerie Peak (for Alliance anyway) at which time there's some nice items to start crafting to make decent money. Roll on Elemental Leatherworking :D

I have skinning as my other. So easy to head around an easy (for your level) area and just gather materials. I go gathering in SV and Badlands atm.

Advertisement