Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How loud are shower pumps?

Options
  • 23-03-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I want to put in a shower pump to enhance the water flow into my shower but I have heard that the pumps are really loud especially if placed in the hot press. Is this true and if so is there any way of fitting a quiet pump or does placing the pump in the attic help? Can the pump be insulated in any way to minimise the noise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the one I have is pretty loud - not sure about insulation but it might be possible to put it in the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

do you know which one you have. i am getting a jetforce jf55 - does that sound familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

They can be loud alright - ours are. It's amazing what you get use to though. The noise from local helicopters is worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

i have a 1.5 bar pump and its not that loud at all. how powerful is the one you want to get? a lot of the time the salesman will tell you that you need a 3 bar when in fact you dont especially if its for one shower. what sort of shower is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

Thanks a lot guys, it's a 1.68 bar so it might not be too bad. I'll put it in the attic also so that really keep it quiet.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FYI if you put it in the attic you will need a different type (negative head) as the pump will be above the hot water intake.
    These are usually quite a bit more expensive...

You can look into various ways of minimising the noise, usually the main problem is vibration rather than actual pump noise.
    Rubber mats and feet can largely reduce this.

As has been said, depends very much on the pressure of the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Some shower pumps can be a bit noisy alright, But are worth it We don't have one in my house but in General the water pressure in Ireland is woefully weak. When I was in the USA (NYC) last year I just couldn't resist having up to 4 showers a day, It was like standing under a power washer! I'm not sure if they had a pump or if it was mains pressure but ya betcha it was good. If you get the pump, you could put it in the Attic or Cellar if you have one. Anyway if it is a little noisy just build a plywood box around it use 1" or ¾" Plywood and insulate it with fibreglass insulation (super-itchy) or with some special sort of noise insulation. It can't be that bad to begin with and the Noise-box would help dampen the noise more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

netwhizkid wrote:
    Anyway if it is a little noisy just build a plywood box around it use 1" or ¾" Plywood and insulate it with fibreglass insulation (super-itchy) or with some special sort of noise insulation. It can't be that bad to begin with and the Noise-box would help dampen the noise more.
    :eek:
    Also, once the thing overheats, burns down your house and you are dead, the noise wont be a problem.
    Do not place it in an insulated box. Motors need to breathe, unless its specifically designed not to (in impeller perhaps) but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Do any of you 'Power Shower' people realise the extra amounts of water these things use?:confused:
    A power shower running for more than 5 minutes uses more water than a bath!:(
    Think of all the extra energy needed to pump, clean, and recycle water in our waste water facilities....
    I know its feels great but do you really get aly cleaner?:o

Come on people, think green...............and do your bit.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Do any of you 'Power Shower' people realise the extra amounts of water these things use?:confused:
    A power shower running for more than 5 minutes uses more water than a bath!:(
    Think of all the extra energy needed to pump, clean, and recycle water in our waste water facilities....
    I know its feels great but do you really get aly cleaner?:o

Come on people, think green...............and do your bit.

R.

We have much quicker showers now that we have a power shower, compared to the amount of time we use to spend in a ordinary electric one(which was using quite a bit of electricity) trying to get wet and washing down.

Go for the Power shower and enjoy!! Or go green and use a bucket.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

So spending 10 to 15 minutes in a normal shower with a poor flow compared to 5 minutes with a power shower? I can't imagine there been much of a difference in efficiency.

Advertisement