Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A stone fireplace ...

Options
  • 23-03-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Guys,
    When driving around the west of Ireland all around you will see them beautiful field boundry walls ... Not sure what type of stone/slate they are made of but I need to source this stone ...
    I'm about to build a firebreast which will be of std. 5ft wide but will rise up to the pitch of my open plan living room i.e. about 12ft ...
    Anyone know where I might get this stuff and how I might lay it .. (no jokes please) ...
    Would it be like a cladding against the breast blocks ??
    Would I need a Stonemason ??
    Thanks ...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Salem wrote:
    Guys,
    When driving around the west of Ireland all around you will see them beautiful field boundry walls ... Not sure what type of stone/slate they are made of but I need to source this stone ...
    I'm about to build a firebreast which will be of std. 5ft wide but will rise up to the pitch of my open plan living room i.e. about 12ft ...
    Anyone know where I might get this stuff and how I might lay it .. (no jokes please) ...
    Would it be like a cladding against the breast blocks ??
    Would I need a Stonemason ??
    Thanks ...

Salem, we build ours from Lacken Stone, yes it is tied onto the blocks of the chimney which the blocklayer leaves hanging out when building or can be steel nailed on after the blocks are finished.
    I definately would recommend a stone mason for this, building stone can be tricky.
    I have a pic of ours attached.

Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Really nice job there YOP ... The setup is what I'm after but the stone is not quite ... The finish we want is like rough cut wall slates on their flat built all the way up ... Probably take a lot longer but I do have the time ...
    Quick question ... Is there any reason why you went for the manufactured inset instead of building one with firebrick ... Once again lovely job ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi Yop,

yes...its a really nice fireplace...its gives me some ideas as to what to do with my own.

Regards

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks guys,

Redlady - walk away from our idea... only messing ;)

Is it the fireback you are on about? It was not given as an option to use firebrick, I did not realise that it could be done,.
    I am now left with a gap of 23cm between the front of the fireplace and the fireback which I have to try and source a fireback extender.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Salem wrote:
    The setup is what I'm after but the stone is not quite ... The finish we want is like rough cut wall slates on their flat built all the way up ... Probably take a lot longer but I do have the time ...

It seems to me that you are describing Liscannor stone, seen all throughout West Clare and a bit beyond. There are a few outlets in the Lahinch/Liscannor area. You would get the numbers from the Golden Pages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

yop wrote:
    Thanks guys,

Redlady - walk away from our idea... only messing ;)

Is it the fireback you are on about? It was not given as an option to use firebrick, I did not realise that it could be done,.
    I am now left with a gap of 23cm between the front of the fireplace and the fireback which I have to try and source a fireback extender.

Yop,

Are you going to put something across between the two stones that are protruding near the top of the picture?

Yip, we have an oak beam put across it, about 4 inches thick , 8 inches deep ( the beam that is ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Salem,

Stone walls around the west coast would often be limestone. If you are looking for Liscannor Flagstone (as suggested) it would be a shame to use it in this way as the best feature is the worm-like pattern on the large flat plane. I think that you are looking for some sort of shale or greywacke but i can't tell you where to get it!

Yop,
    where did you source your oak beam if you don't mind me asking. Looking for something similar myself at the moment.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GOC

I was thinking of sourcing similar stone and having a fireplace built.
    I thought about marble and polished limestone but really thought I would prefer stone from the West of Ireland instead.

There are 2 places around Doolin in Clare (just off the coast road) that sell Liscannor stone. You need to have your plan and measurements in place.

Dras, I got it from Coillte, I will root out the costings and contact for u if u wish?

• Advertisement

Hey RedLady,
    If you are looking for some really cool ideas try this American crowd's gallery ...
    www.rumford.com/pictures.html
    Hey YOP ... Some nice firebrick work here aswell ...
    I mailed this guy looking for any suppliers in Ireland ...
    No joy ...
    I just happen to be headin down to Doolin in May for a weekend ... I'll have a look around if she can get me out of Gus O'Conners for a couple of hours !!

Me again guys,
    This picture is as close as I can find to what I actually want ...
    www.rumford.com/Lodmell.html
    Not sure what the stone is but would yez think the Liscannor stone would
    look good in this arrangement ??
    Hey RedLady maybe this is what you're after .. :eek:
    www.rumford.com/R120.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

Yop,

I picked up some spalted beech in a local sawmill instead but if you could pm me the coillte details for future ref would be great thanks. Presume Dundrum sawmills?

dras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭RedLady

Hi Salem,

Thanks a lot for the link. I will look thru and see if there is anything that catches my eyes.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

If you want grey and rough, what about Valentia slate?
    We have valentia slate fireplace, as in slate from floor to ceiling with an opening for fireplace. We will put in a multifule stove of sorts later, haven't found the right one yet.
    If someone can tell me how to post a pic I will.

It was done by a stonemason.
    If you check out the valentia slate website, you will see fireplaces made of slate, this is not what I am talking about.
    We have the fireplace/wall same as the stone on the exterior of the house, jagged edge out, natural cut.
    Can also be sanded I think.
    There is another grey stone that is similar but not so rough looking, can't remember name now, will have to look through "house notes" to see.

Best of luck, will be worth it as you will be looking at it for years to come.
    I love ours.

Yop, love your fireplace.
    Well done.

Tobi

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I got a large piece of slate for a hearth at Mac's Granite warehouse (just off SCR at entrance to War Memorial gardens) lots of stone there but wasn't paying much attention to it.

Dunno if anything on salvoweb might suit
    http://www.salvoweb.com/ireland-rep./forsale.html?key=stone

Advertisement