Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Grips

• 23-03-2006 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

When I was playing with my clubs the last day, I noticed that the grips on my irons have gotten really shiny and quite slippy; time for a change I reckoned. So, a few questions:

1. What grips are better for gripping control: cord or rubber grips

2. What price am I looking at to get them changed for a set of irons 3-PW

3. Where is the best place in dublin that changes grips for best value

4. What affect on my game will bad grips have

Thanks for the replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

For me its cord, although they tend to reef the hands off you if you mi**** a shot!

All my clubs are now cord grips except my hybrid and a few wedges, not for any particular reason, just that they have new grips and not much point in changing them. I got my 4 wood regripped with a cord grip for 10 euros at the pro shop.

A lot of it is down to personal preference, for me i now carry a wet weather glove all the time (kind of swede material works great even if saturated!), due to an experience i had in the West coast a few years ago... not gonna happen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

css wrote:
    For me its cord, although they tend to reef the hands off you if you mi**** a shot!
    ha! it censore mis hit on you again, seriously thats the highlight of my comedy year, how sad am i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

ha! it censore mis hit on you again, seriously thats the highlight of my comedy year, how sad am i?

You really need to get out and play more golf naturally!! Step away from the computer..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

swingking wrote:
    1. What grips are better for gripping control: cord or rubber grips
    2. What price am I looking at to get them changed for a set of irons 3-PW
    3. Where is the best place in dublin that changes grips for best value
    4. What affect on my game will bad grips have

1. cord,tour wrap.
    2. a grip is cheap, rubber 2-3e, cord 4-5e, add 6-10e for fitting one
    3. grips are very easy to fit, DIY easy, so easy a few places can do a sloppy job. if you want to be sure go to a quality custom club maker, blackrock , kildare.
    4. huge affect, its your only contact with the club, you wouldnt play with woolin gloves, if your grips are very bad its the same thing.

lamkins and golf pride are the 2 big makers.

most common options

materials = cord, rubber, and recently multi-density rubbers.
    shapes = standard, or wrap (rubber molded to look like wrapped leather)
    feel reminder = none (round) or ribbed (has a thin line of rubber on the inside of the grip which you can feel in left hand, helps you put your hand on the club in the same place every time)
    size = most important, always overlooked. small to extra large with an extra wrap of tape used to get a half size in between. generaly you have an ideal size, with 1 wrap larger to help straighten out a hook or one wrap smaller to help straighten out a slice. thats a 3 wrap range with all other sizes being a poor fit, if your way out of your range youll grip it poorly just to control the club and that will mess around with your swing mechanics. so if you have an odd size glove get fitted.

generaly speaking
    cord = control
    good for rain, sweaty hands, players that dont use a glove.
    bad for sensitive hands (some say they hurt), gloves (will wear them away quicker than rubber)
    rubber = feel
    opposite to cord, less harsh, from softie wrap (like a tennis racket grip) too tackey like some ping putter grips.
    multi-rubber = designed for control in left hand, feel in right fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

get the thickness right aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

css wrote:
    You really need to get out and play more golf naturally!! Step away from the computer..... :eek:
    dude i'm playing twice a week, it's just everything other aspect of my life that's pathetic :D

Advertisement