Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday nightlife in Letterkenny

Options
  • 23-03-2006 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi there,
    would anyone know where 4 girls above 20, ( students) would have a great nite out on saturday nite .. been to the cottage , the brewery etc before but i mean later on in the nite , would the grill be a good nite ? any suggestions ? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you trawl through a couple of the other threads here you will get some info

Seeing as you are new here I had a wee look myself and this might help a little http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878292

But I will be relying on all the red blooded young men here to offer up their comments

Welcome aboard katn1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

At present Milan seems to be the place later on Saturdays, The music is funky and RnB. The grill has lost its appeal at the minute and is generally 18 - 20's on a Sat. with much smaller numbers than before. Part of the reason for this is Fridays and Sundays do very well for the over 20's.... The pulse is dare I say it a bit more redneck but grand if thats your thing. Sister Saras upstairs is quite good but finishes around 1.30 - 1.45 though the disco in the basement is free and stays open later.

The central is to re-open and will be more over 30's on a Sat. Voodoo's club won't be until summer and apparently aiming for the older crowd.

The Orchard has passed its hey day, and only those who still go there haven't seen what else is being offered around town. Everywhere gets its turn and currently it just isn't theres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 The bones

At present Milan seems to be the place later on Saturdays, The music is funky and RnB. The grill has lost its appeal at the minute and is generally 18 - 20's on a Sat. with much smaller numbers than before. Part of the reason for this is Fridays and Sundays do very well for the over 20's.... The pulse is dare I say it a bit more redneck but grand if thats your thing. Sister Saras upstairs is quite good but finishes around 1.30 - 1.45 though the disco in the basement is free and stays open later.

The central is to re-open and will be more over 30's on a Sat. Voodoo's club won't be until summer and apparently aiming for the older crowd.

The Orchard has passed its hey day, and only those who still go there haven't seen what else is being offered around town. Everywhere gets its turn and currently it just isn't theres.

It's a been a wee while since I've been out in LK. Is the grill really that bad? When is the central closing/opening?
    What's the story with Vodoo? Is there gonna be a pub there as well? where is there for the older crowd if not the orchard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Erm - no.
    There is still no where remotely like downstairs in the Orchard. Upstairs is crap, but downstairs offers an unrivalled "funky mix" - I really like it, because Milan is mostly R'n'B (yugh), the Pulse is redneck, The Grill is full of jailbait and Mono is closed (thank phuqe)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Erm - no.
    There is still no where remotely like downstairs in the Orchard. Upstairs is crap, but downstairs offers an unrivalled "funky mix" - I really like it, because Milan is mostly R'n'B (yugh), the Pulse is redneck, The Grill is full of jailbait and Mono is closed (thank phuqe)

I'd agree with you Civilian_Target, except that Milan is also full of jailbait.

and bones,

the Central is open as a disco upstairs at weekends as is the Radisson for over 30s.

Voodoo is going to be a bar, disco and restaurant on different floors afaik.

and the Grill was always a no go area on a saturday night once you're over the age of 21. and that's pushing it!

• Advertisement

Voodoo is set to open on Friday next. Piano bar downstairs with a dress code apparently. The club won't be up and running til summer with Thursday - Sunday at the minute. Going for clubbers Sat with older crowds other nights apparently.

Central has launched a Fresh FM clubnight on Fridays doing well but not for the older scene. I hear they are talking about a full renovation upstairs before really pushing Sat nites which are closed at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

er not to sound completely clueless but where the hell is voodoo? old mono?

yeah, jason black leased it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Voodoo opens tonight...!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Last night, I finally managed to venture to the Casbah. I found it to be home from home! Great music, sound barstaff. Just a shame about those damn stairs but that's a minor gripe! :)

As I said in another thread, I've been to Voodoo too, and although it's a fine bar, I can't see myself staying in there for anymore than a few drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

I'm moving to LK soon I think and I'm curious about the music played in these spots. I'm into Hip-Hop [actual not radio], rock, alternative, techno, breakcore etc and I fkn hate hard house... I'd like to avoid the beautifully termed 'redneck' venues. If not, are there nights 'to rent' in venues up there, is there a crowd [student or not] into this? Clubs with visuals [or an in-house projector for the footie]? I've got a definite DIY attitude about this - If it's not there, can I do it myself?

cheers,

e

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

katn1 wrote:
    hi there,
    would anyone know where 4 girls above 20, ( students) would have a great nite out on saturday nite .. been to the cottage , the brewery etc before but i mean later on in the nite , would the grill be a good nite ? any suggestions ? thanks :)

the grill is a cattle mart, they just pack as many people in as they can, 20mins to get served at the bar etc. Downstairs in the orchard is good, 2 rooms, different music and u can move bettweeen there and upstairs which is more night-clubby. You also avoid the usual fights that go on outside the grill. Also, mcginleys upstairs is a decent bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I'm moving to LK soon I think and I'm curious about the music played in these spots. I'm into Hip-Hop [actual not radio], rock, alternative, techno, breakcore etc and I fkn hate hard house... I'd like to avoid the beautifully termed 'redneck' venues. If not, are there nights 'to rent' in venues up there, is there a crowd [student or not] into this? Clubs with visuals [or an in-house projector for the footie]? I've got a definite DIY attitude about this - If it's not there, can I do it myself?

cheers,

e

the problem seems to be, pub/club owners don't want to take a chance playing alternative styles of music incase they can't get the crowds in.i guess if majority of people don't like the music played, they'll go somewhere else.

the closest thing you'll get to techno, is a teenagers disco playing "hardcore", (sounds like slipmatt,hixxy, happy hardcore with extra cheesey vocals, by some girl who dumped her cheating boyfriend...but then getting back together because she still loves him..etc..etc)

there is no breakcore at all, not sure about hip hop, but i would seriously doubt it.
    watch ads in local newspapers, ..for example daithi ramsey has a column in a local FREE newspaper, and he'll usually talk about upcoming alternative music events.

sometimes they play ska,punk in orchard or even sister saras on rare occasion.

but it seems the main styles are either R&B, house or something that sounds the same given a different name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DOWNGUY

Group of 18 lads heading to Letterkenny on a stag weekend, wheres the best spots to go to in letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

see above. it does not change that much.
    with 18 lads i would have to say where ever you end u[ will be a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toria

Hey Iv beeen to letterkenny a few times!The grill is brill but on a saturday night Milan is way better!!!I love letterkenny!!moving up there in 2 weeks!!cant wait!!Are you going to college there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toria

hi,Im moving to letterkenny too.i dont no anyone.help

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

toria wrote:
    hi,Im moving to letterkenny too.i dont no anyone.help
    You might want to start a new thread as this one is about Saturday night and night clubs etc in Letterkenny. Please dont pull it off topic.

In fact if you search back a bit in the North West forum there was a similar thread posted some time ago.

Advertisement