Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver Unlimited (Fair Usage).

• 23-03-2006 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

I notice a lot of people have been complaining about the fair usage policy that UTV introduced.

I can't see anything wrong with this at all. It's a good idea and completely fair. It's only at peak hours (6pm - 11pm) that they can slow down your connection ONLY if your using P2P. Outside those hours you can download as much as you want anywhere you want for just €6 extra p/m.

No other DSL provider is offering anything like this for 1/2/3meg connections and i'm surprised at the stick UTV are getting for being the first. It's not like they stop your connection for half a month if you abuse it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Huh, I haven't heard about this.
    How do they define and detect P2P?
    Do they throttle certain port ranges?
    If I send something to my friend over ICQ or an IRC DCC, is that technically P2P?
    I'm not sure I like the possibility of false-positives... maybe my video conferencing app uses the same ports (as a general throw-away example)
    I'm shopping for a new broadband provider at the moment... think I'll cross UTV off the list. :)
    I'm not even a 'heavy user', but I wouldn't like to be able to use my broadband without having to worry about what's being throttled when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

But it's only IF you use huge amounts. UTV told me on phone that within a current month, if you have reached 100GB, then they slow down your peak connection until the end of the month.

It's totally fair really. Outside peak you could download endless amounts. Lets say 5,000 GB per month. Dunno if that's possible on a 2meg lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Oooooh right.
    100gigs/month is insane... if it only kicks in when you go over the cap then fair enough... as long as normal users aren't throttled I couldn't give a sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Skyuser wrote:
    But it's only IF you use huge amounts. UTV told me on phone that within a current month, if you have reached 100GB, then they slow down your peak connection until the end of the month.

It's totally fair really.

Yep, hopefully the other isp's will follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Skyuser wrote:

It's totally fair really. Outside peak you could download endless amounts. Lets say 5,000 GB per month. Dunno if that's possible on a 2meg lol.

So you have 100 gigs to play around with at peak times? Ive been avoiding downloading altogether at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Very very good idea imho.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Skyuser wrote:
    I notice a lot of people have been complaining about the fair usage policy that UTV introduced.

I can't see anything wrong with this at all. It's a good idea and completely fair. It's only at peak hours (6pm - 11pm) that they can slow down your connection ONLY if your using P2P. Outside those hours you can download as much as you want anywhere you want for just €6 extra p/m.

No other DSL provider is offering anything like this for 1/2/3meg connections and i'm surprised at the stick UTV are getting for being the first. It's not like they stop your connection for half a month if you abuse it.

It will be interesting to look back on your post in six months when UTV have established a pattern in dealing with this fair usage issue.

bush wrote:
    So you have 100 gigs to play around with at peak times? Ive been avoiding downloading altogether at peak times.
    Don't be afraid to use it at peak times because IF you happen to download a huge amount of GB's, they still only 'slow it down' during peak times (6pm - 11pm). It's never actually cut off or anything like that.

Skyuser wrote:
    Don't be afraid to use it at peak times because IF you happen to download a huge amount of GB's, they still only 'slow it down' during peak times (6pm - 11pm). It's never actually cut off or anything like that.

I know that but im not the only one using it in the house, I wouldnt mind it slowing down but the others would.

They send you three e-mails before they slow it down so you'll know if your using to much by the second one.

• Advertisement

Skyuser wrote:
    They send you three e-mails before they slow it down so you'll know if your using to much by the second one.

You sound more and more like a UTV employee with every post!!!!!!!!!

lol i like to stand up for the better provider even though I know a lot of people would disagree with that statement.
    UTV were the first with Flat Rate Dial-Up and now their the first with Unlimited Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Skyuser wrote:

Thats not true at all. I'm on smart, no cap and 3.5mb down 256k up.

Skyuser wrote:
    lol i like to stand up for the better provider even though I know a lot of people would disagree with that statement.
    UTV were the first with Flat Rate Dial-Up and now their the first with Unlimited Broadband.

You neglect to mention that they were first with a lot of crap in between those particular two milestones!:rolleyes: In fact it was customer outcry that caused them to rethink their rethink of how the cap was calculated!

And as pointed out above Smart have gotten there before them in relation to Unlimited BB and given UTV's cute hoorism in recent years I remain to be convinced on their attitude to unlimited BB,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Lads does anyone know what the story is with the 12GB cap at the moment?
    Is it 12GB down and up or is just downloads. I'm still a little in the dark about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Skyuser wrote:

While praise may be due for the flexible cap on an "unlimited" product (now that's one I'd like to see go to the courts), you are wrong on both of those points above.

eircom are the first providers of unlimited DSL (with no usage limit, or AUP clause.. you might run into contention). There is no flat-rate dialup product available in the Republic. UTV were innovative in their dialup bundles, granted, but it's far from flat-rate.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 never_ever

Hi guys, Im new on the forums. I was about to finish my adventure with UTV, because of poor download limits, but once I logged into my profile and saw unlimited option for additional 6 eur a month a was really surprised. I decided to give it a go. I read fair usage policy and thats completely fine, I'd say.
    My current stats from my user profile are:

Your current bandwidth usage this month is:
    Incoming: 28012.9MB
    Outgoing: 6805.2MB
    You are on the unlimited download plan so you can continue to use the service without incurring any download charges

I dont download anything between 6 pm and 11 pm (im just sticking to their rules), I use other hours.
    I got 2 mbit plan and I get stable 200-210 KB/s download and about 25 upload. I'm very, very happy with UTV now and their unlimited plan. I think (due to this cheap unlimited option obviously) UTV might be the best isp to pick up in the ROI at the moment.

cgarvey wrote:
    eircom are the first providers of unlimited DSL (with no usage limit, or AUP clause.. you might run into contention).
    I was talking about the low packages like 1/2/3 meg. Eircom have it for their high package business cutomers.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

never_ever wrote:
    Hi guys, Im new on the forums. I was about to finish my adventure with UTV, because of poor download limits, but once I logged into my profile and saw unlimited option for additional 6 eur a month a was really surprised. I decided to give it a go. I read fair usage policy and thats completely fine, I'd say.
    My current stats from my user profile are:

Your current bandwidth usage this month is:
    Incoming: 28012.9MB
    Outgoing: 6805.2MB
    You are on the unlimited download plan so you can continue to use the service without incurring any download charges

I dont download anything between 6 pm and 11 pm (im just sticking to their rules), I use other hours.
    I got 2 mbit plan and I get stable 200-210 KB/s download and about 25 upload. I'm very, very happy with UTV now and their unlimited plan. I think (due to this cheap unlimited option obviously) UTV might be the best isp to pick up in the ROI at the moment.

Wow - a first post and it's commendatory - be careful as people might think you're a shill.

Welcome to boards - you'll find a weath of information & help here. In fact this particular forum (Broadband) is a great spot for reading about the latest misadventures of UTV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 never_ever

K Parsi, thanx :)
    I'm not a shill, but I know what u mean, right, my 1st post ;-)
    Now UTV pay me the money, haha :P
    I'm just reading about all the pros and cons of UTV, but personally Im very happy with them now. Maybe I'm just lucky and others arent... dunno.
    Anyway, only 1 company I would swap my UTV is Smart, but its not available in my area, so I got no choice :)
    See ya !!

• Advertisement

Im happy too, its the best deal available in my area by far. Glad I stayed with them instead of going through all the hassle of changing over to a different company with a worse deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Been waiting for some feedback on how people were getting on with this before giving it a whirl. Never_ever & Bush have me sold, I just signed up for it now:)

Cheers Guys!

Shred wrote:
    Never_ever & Bush have me sold
    What about me? I was the one saying how good it was. Was I not believeable?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Skyuser wrote:
    There was no emotion in your performance; I have to say, I didn't feel the love.

Ah well no commission for me then.

Skyuser wrote:
    I was talking about the low packages like 1/2/3 meg. Eircom have it for their high package business cutomers.

Your still wrong, Smart broadband has been aorund at least a year, they where the first and still have no usage policy like utv, as in an actually unlimited service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Whats the situation for those with UTV's unlimited???

Has anyone hit 100GB yet....or all yee just yella....hahaha!!!

That €6 a month extra probable buys at the very least 100GB extra data....and as most people wont even come close to half that....UTV are still making a profit.

Personially I think BT should counter attack with €5 a month extra for unlimited and see what happens.
    Honestly though I dont think there should be a CAP as most peope find it difficult to break 1GB a month if they dont have teenagers!

If SMART are able to cope with 24 hour downloaders(they probable make up a higher % of their overall customer base remember!) why in the hell cant the others???

zuma wrote:

If SMART are able to cope with 24 hour downloaders(they probable make up a higher % of their overall customer base remember!) why in the hell cant the others???

Your forgetting that smart is allot cheaper then any other Telecom. For anybody who wants internet, and doesn't mind changing their number, smart is a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Skyuser wrote:

Hehe, sorry I'll amend my statement - SKYUSER, Never_ever & Bush have me sold, I just signed up for it now;)

Having said that, you seemed to be just making an observation on the service in your original post rather than actually saying how good or bad you had found actually using it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thread Title - UTV Clicksilver Unlimited (Fair Usage)

Is It just me or does it say "Unlimited" above?
    What's fair about limiting an unlimited service?
    Regardless of their reasons for doing so at the very least it's false advertising.

Advertisement