Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a graphics card

Options
  • 23-03-2006 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

My system specs:

P4 cpu 3ghz
    512mb ram
    geforce fx 5200
    250w power supply

I'm going to be upping my ram to 1gig or maybe more. And I want to know what decent graphics card could I get without having to replace my power supply? Is it at all possible?

I know the x700 agp would be suitable, any thoughts on this card would run most new games, Oblivion for instance?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The x700 will run any new games both now and for the near future but not at great levels. You will probably manage decent levels in some games but for recent and new releases that are very gfx intensive it won't really be able to manage anything over 800x600 with options on medium at best.

Is that a Dell computer? I know someone with the exact same spec and it would explain why you can't change psu :)

You should be able to run a 6800 or x800/x50 on that psu, Dell psu's are actually usually underrated on purpose - of course if you even have a dell.

To be honest don't get the x700 there for that price anyway - I got a 9600xt here on boards for fifty euro awhile back and it runs most new games on medium settings - it doesn't even need to be connected to the psu.

Try pick up something cheap second hand here on boards, you might get a bargin. Pretty much anything is going to run rings around that 5200 anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If your going to buy new an ATI X1600 Pro for €145 should be able to do the trick and allow you play Oblivion at a decent speed with medium details at around 800x600.

It "should" be okay with your PSU as the above card isn't particually power hungry.

I would be wary at what the X700 would be like even on medium settings with Oblivion as it is quite a graphically demanding game, the X1K series are better suited to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Yeah it's a dell 4600, I have been eyeing both cards mentioned I just wasn't sure if my psu would hack it. The pc was bought january 2004 would that mean the psu has less capacity now or what?

And seeing how oblivion is shader-intensive the x1600pro would be the better option.

@havok: Did the person with the dell pc upgrade their fx 5200 for a better card? If so, do you know what one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Any ideas if I can buy one of these this side of the atlantic?

It would allow me to replace my dell power supply with a industry standard one. I've looked on different sites and the above link seems to be the only place that actually sells them.

It would cost €19.08, $22.96, shipping included. Not too bad really, twenty quid for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No never seen them at online shops before myself, I did see a DIY guide for the same thing once though I'm afraid I cant recall the link.

For 20 bucks I'd go with the adaptor if you do find it local they would probably be charging the same price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement