Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Once again, a buying a car thread

Options
  • 23-03-2006 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Well,

I am changing car, and have €17K to spend.

I want a diesel, and a medium to large saloon. Now I do fairly high mileage, but also prefer diesel cars. So this is not a "justify a diesel car" thread.

I had these cars picked out:

Skoda - http://tinyurl.com/maupd - Nice car, low spec
    Volvo - http://tinyurl.com/lwwmp - High spec, low miles, price seems too low?
    VW - http://tinyurl.com/pufff - Nice car, seems good, common as muck

or I could stretch to this

Audi - http://tinyurl.com/pbaj3 - Like these cars, colour is naff, mileage is highest

I'd like to find a nice balance of fresh in years, and low in miles. But obviously the condition of the car is of most importance.
    I need to go dealer, as I have a trade in (part of the 17K).

Are any of these sitting on major mileage intervals I should be aware of. I'd hate to get one and 100miles down the road have to spend €700 on major service interval.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Skoda/VW will need a timing belt at 60k afaik. A main dealer might do it before it goes out the door though. The Skoda It is expensive enough at 16k I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have you considered the Rover 75 2.0 diesel. You would easily get one for your budget and it would likely be fresher, newer and better specced than say an Audi or VW.

You might possibly get a 02 Renault Vel Satis 2.2 DCi for your budget although I think you would be pushing it (your budget, not the car haha)

Also what about the Peugeot 607 2.2 diesel?

Just suggesting some less obvious candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What are you trading in? Have you considered selling it privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the replies guys.

That Superb is one of the cheapest dealer cars I can find.

I am not a big fan of rover. No major issue with them other than I don't like the look, personal taste I suppose.

The Vel Satis, its kind of borderline people carrier isn't it? I'll have a looksee though.

The 607 is a fine car, gone up a tax bracket, but usually very well equipped. Must have a look at them also.

I am selling a Megane Tourer. Its been on the market (carzone) for quite a while, but no joy.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hi

I have an Black Octavia 1.9Tdi (110Bhp) Laurin and Klement, top spec. Have a look around for them, they are pretty rare here but I saw one in a garage in Clane Co.Kildare. Great fuel economy I get excess 50mpg combined driving!

• Advertisement

Hi spooner,

What has that spec got that others don't?

Full Leather
    Climatronic control
    Heated front seats
    Electric Heated Mirrors
    Cruise Control
    Xenon Lights
    Traction Control
    16inch gun metal alloys
    etc...

oh,

Sounds decent.

Will check that out also.

Did a search on:
    VelSatis, €40K !!! second hand......
    607, the only ones in my range are low spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Maybe another option - Newlands renualt (probably means they'd offer you a better trade-in) have a bora -

http://newlandsrenault.webzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=302148

Bora 1.9 TDI 130 Bhp Comfortline Engine: 1.9 Diesel Price: €16,500 Year: 2003 Colour: Indigo Blue Mileage: 68,700 miles / 110,562 kilometers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I was doing some car shopping for my mum about 6 months ago, and was amazed at how well-specced and cheap the Volvo S40s were. Ended up getting a great one - 2001, 40k, leather, cruise control etc for €10,000.
    She's had no problems at all so far and really enjoys it. I've had a few drives in it and it seems to be a great car.
    Wonder why they're so cheap though?

• Advertisement

Hey Prospect, this is the car but the colour isnt great (its better in black magic) and the mileage on this is a bit high:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=349766

Thanks spooner.

Nice spec allright.
    Mileage is a bit high.

Those alloys look like they are covered in brake dust. Not sure I'd be mad on them, but as you say, they probably look better on a black car.

true I wouldnt touch it, mine is a 2001 and I bought it last May with only 49,000 miles. Great car though and those alloys are really cool on a black car, really sets it off very nicely when its washed and waxed of course!

I would get another octavia again I aint a badge snob!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey Prospect, this is the car but the colour isnt great (its better in black magic) and the mileage on this is a bit high:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=349766

70K miles on a 4 year old diesel car is very low. That one is a bit expensive though.

Bazz suppose so as long as the timing belt kit has been replaced and the clutch is still in good nic (just got timing belt done recently and cost 500 euro). Mine has 66K on the clock now for a 01. Yes the price could come down a bit maybe 13K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cardude

Prospect,
    Not wishing to run a dealer down over the internet but I'd doubt if the guy sellin g the VW would take a trade in as he is operating out of a farmyard. There was also a lot of panel beating respraying etc going on in the background.
    Obviously I wouldnt put you off going there but just fyi.

Another car that might be worth a look is the Mazda 6? I haven't driven one in diesel and would imagine they arent that common secondhand but they are a nice drive and mostly good spec in petrol form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

prospect wrote:
    Did a search on:
    VelSatis, €40K !!! second hand......
    They depreciate heavily though so a 02 with average miles would be close to your budget. There would probably be good scope for haggling and getting a good deal as they are so unpopular. A Renault dealer would likely be "enthusiastic" to make a sale if someone came in with a Megane Tourer looking to p/ex it for a Vel Satis :)

Of course you will have difficulty a couple of years down the line if you want to get rid but you'd be getting a far more luxurious and well equipped car than anything else mentioned in this thread. Still it's understandable that the styling of this car isn't to everyone's taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

fjon wrote:
    I was doing some car shopping for my mum about 6 months ago, and was amazed at how well-specced and cheap the Volvo S40s were. Ended up getting a great one - 2001, 40k, leather, cruise control etc for €10,000.
    She's had no problems at all so far and really enjoys it. I've had a few drives in it and it seems to be a great car.
    Wonder why they're so cheap though?

The brother has gone the same route, and I had a test drive of another one. Grand cars! I reckon price is low because
    a) The engines are too big for a lot of people
    b) Everyone (sweeping generalisation alert!) in Ireland wants golf/corolla/focus or bora/passat/avensis.

Reckon I'll get one too if I find a job with more than 3months job security. 1.8/2L, leather - nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The old S40 was based on the Mitsubishi Carisma which didn't help it's image. Both were built in the same plant in Holland (the first Volvo to be built outside of Sweden I think). They both shared alot of components including some old Renault engines, ie the diesel was made by Renault. Volvo pitched the S40 as an alternative to the 3 Series and A4, it really only worked for a while. The early examples were known to have some electrical problems.

The current S40 uses the same chassis as the Ford Focus and shares alot of parts with it, resale values seem to be better so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Ya, dunno would I be too keen on an old Renault 8V. They replaced the 1.8 with a mitsubishi 16V engine didn't they?

You hit the nail on the head there - 3 series / A4. People will just pay more for these. Fine by me, I'll save myself a few bob and take the Volvo thanks! Quite like the 3 series and the A4 (but prefer the A3) but supply and demand means that the going rate is more than I'm willing to pay for them. Electrics would worry me with almost any european car. Was just talking to a guy last night ranting about a common central locking fault in (MarkIV?) Golfs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just on the Superb - I haven't driven one, but I'd avoid a 100bhp diesel in a car that size, too small. Go for at least the 130bhp engine in that car.

Advertisement