Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living In Portarlington

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

mooem wrote:
    Thanks a million.

Would you compare the hotel or rugby club like anything in dublin??

Whats tullamore like for clubbing?? Would it be far in a taxi? and how much on average is the fare?

the hotel would be a worse version of coppers - avoid. The only times it might be good is on stephens night or paddy's day etc when there's a good crowd out and you can't get into the rugby club!
    The only problem with the rugby club is that it's a bit too small. There's generally a nice crowd there, I've never seen any fights in it personally. They only open on a saturday night though but it can be good craic. There are always taxi's outside to bring you back to the town (it's about a mile from town centre) Like anywhere in the world it's usually not where you are but who you're with!

The bridge house in tullamore is meant to be really good on a thursday. the only other nightclub i've been to in tullamore is #1 but I heard that that's closed down? Not too sure. I'd prefer portlaoise over tullamore. taxi's for both would be about 20 quid each way, you'd get a bus with 5 or 6 people for about a tenner each return. Maybe someone else could confirm this though i'm not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mooem

Thanks again for your commemts.

It seems ok down there. We living there in a month so will keep yas updated on how we get on. we will try all the pubs suggested thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

hi guys

from the replies i ave seen on dis thread every1 in portarlington must b nice lol i am workin in killenard and livin in portarlington which is grand but bit boring. livin in house on my own at the moment.. any suggestions on where to go to meet sum ppl other than those i am workin with. any can any1 tel me wot is d story with the 'boy racers' in d car park near d credit union?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

valpuk wrote:
    any can any1 tel me wot is d story with the 'boy racers' in d car park near d credit union?

I used to be one of em, they are fairly harmless most of the time. That car park is facing the back of the Guarda station so the cops can keep a close enough eye on them. Be glad that they are sitting in there chatting rather than racing around the town like I've seen in other regional towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 natergirl64

Hi Luzon

I also have bought a house in Sli Na Mona, i just came across this thread the other day .
    We have been having problems with our house , how have you been gettin on? We have to get Sound proofing done now when we are in months , its becoming a nitemare .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Hi Luzon

I also have bought a house in Sli Na Mona, i just came across this thread the other day .
    We have been having problems with our house , how have you been gettin on? We have to get Sound proofing done now when we are in months , its becoming a nitemare .

hi yeah ive had a few problems are the buliders doing the sound proofing for you the new forman is a p...k?
    how do you find the estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 natergirl64

Hi

Yeah they have said since january they will sound proof, but every week the foreman is saying they are going to try a differnt method, have you got yours done yet? yeah he seems to like to talk but does nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

hi,
    the commute from port to heuston is handy enuff. Depends how far u have to travel on when u get to heuston which may wreck yer head!
    the 7.26 is prob the best to get..the cork train (new flashy ones)...doesn't stop after port and u'll always get a seat. the 7.15 is now the 7.06 (comes from galway i think). the 7.00 starts at portlaoise and is very reliable.
    u will always get a seat on any train in the morning.
    it's the evening that may be a problem (esp 5.10 back)
    basically yer talking about 1 hour...tho this can be done in 45 mins sometimes.
    happy commuting!!!

Thanks Chuck, you're full of information.
    I'm looking at a couple houses in Railway mews beside the train stationat the moment. The houses are lovely. Seems like a nice estae too. Do you know anything about that side of town?

Thanks for the info on the trains, I think the 7.26 would be the best bet so. Be in Hueston for 8.30 at the latest, then I'd have about a 20 minute walk to work. Not too bad.

Although, have you ever drove to Dublin? Some days I'd start work at 8am, so as there doesn't seem to be a train handy i may drive. What time would you recommend leaving Port at? I don't want to be stuck at the red cow!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

rsta wrote:
    Thanks Chuck, you're full of information.
    I'm looking at a couple houses in Railway mews beside the train stationat the moment. The houses are lovely. Seems like a nice estae too. Do you know anything about that side of town?

Thanks for the info on the trains, I think the 7.26 would be the best bet so. Be in Hueston for 8.30 at the latest, then I'd have about a 20 minute walk to work. Not too bad.

Although, have you ever drove to Dublin? Some days I'd start work at 8am, so as there doesn't seem to be a train handy i may drive. What time would you recommend leaving Port at? I don't want to be stuck at the red cow!

Cheers :)

Hiya

Railway Mews is a nice estate, really quiet and everyone is friendly. Last summer they organised a bbq as well for the residents out on the green, there's a nice atmosphere around it.
    Driving to dublin for work - to be in city centre at 8 i'd leave at around half 6 to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Hi all

Just a quick question - is there any way of getting to portlaois between 8am and 9am checked trains and slieve bloom buses any other suggestions??

moving down in june was hoping to get work in portlaoise of some kind for a while but my plans are f***ked if cant get there in morns. also all other useful info would b appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

undecided wrote:
    Hi all

Just a quick question - is there any way of getting to portlaois between 8am and 9am checked trains and slieve bloom buses any other suggestions??

moving down in june was hoping to get work in portlaoise of some kind for a while but my plans are f***ked if cant get there in morns. also all other useful info would b appreciated :)

Hi, undecided, you could try your luck at www.tullamorelife.net - it has an online forums with a couple members from the Portlaoise and Portarlington areas. There is a bus timetables section on the site too, one which I will be updating with the Slieve Bloom tours timetables. I can't tell you if they go directly between Portlaoise and Portarlington, but check them out at slievebloomcoaches.ie

Hth,

Seanie.

thanks for ur reply seanie but alas didnt find what i was looking for.

anybody else who can help would be great searched the web few times but foumd nothing

Unfortunately if the Slieve Bloom or trains can't help then you probably aren't going to find a solution at all. The best you might to is put the word out amongst people you know down there and try to secure a lift. If your employer is good - they might offer to pay for a taxi or offer a later start.

If Port Laois is the only place you'll get a job, why wouldn't you consider moving there in the first place? Surely that'd solve a problem straight away? It might sound a bit simplistic but thats what two of my friends had to do - both found it hard to get any meaninful, well paid job in Portarlington - so both moved to Port Laois and are now doing well for themselves.

I myself lived in Portarlington and managed a bar in Tullamore - when I had no car. It was possible to get over to Tullamore during the day via train/bus but getting home was a nightmare until my employer offered to pay for a taxi for two of us who were going in the same direction.

Unless you have a car, Portarlington can be a bit claustrophobic. Sorry if this has been of no help, but its good to know what you're getting yourself into.

thanks conundrum!

I did consider portlaoise for a while but decided on portarlington because it has great train links as i dont drive. its just typical hasnt got train for when I need it. only purpose of lookinn at port laoise for work is young kids, schools etc. would have made life a little easier.

Been down a few times now, port is a great little town and im hoping itll get even better. :)

Well the papers are almost all signed regarding me getting my house in Portarlington!

Is there a new shopping centre due to be built? I heard talk of it last time I was in Port but couldn't find out much.

Where abouts in the town is it going to be built? If so.

don't know much about the shopping centre but there is a lidl and supervalu. Read somewhere that the shopping centre can't go ahead until development plan is finished. Thats all I know in same boat as you not movin down til july!

Shopping centre was planned to be finished in August 2006 AFAIK. The site was located about 2 minutes drive from Super Value on the Port Laois road. There were so many rumours circulating about what happened to the development of the site, but basically it will not be finished anytime soon (if ever).

Cheers Undecided and Connundrum :)

Rang around schools in portarlington today re school for my kids. ~One is 4 1/2 so will b just starting and the other is 6 will be going into 2nd class.

When I tried to secure places for them was told there were none. One school offeer to take the 6 yr old but nnot the other and the other school refused to take either.

I'm gobsmacked always though once living in catchment area were obliged to take in. rang one school in portlaoise will take the older chhild but not the other!

Any advice/suggestions?:confused::(

undecided wrote:
    Rang around schools in portarlington today re school for my kids. ~One is 4 1/2 so will b just starting and the other is 6 will be going into 2nd class.

When I tried to secure places for them was told there were none. One school offeer to take the 6 yr old but nnot the other and the other school refused to take either.

I'm gobsmacked always though once living in catchment area were obliged to take in. rang one school in portlaoise will take the older chhild but not the other!

e

• Advertisement

undecided wrote:

Wow, well thats a sign of the times I guess. Try Killenard NS, but first get in contact with the board of education. You might be in for the long haul with local TDs etc if they refuse to place both children in the same school.

Tried killernard, convent and church of ireland one (although I'm not church ...despeeration) None could offer me a placement. Tried few in portlaoise too and have been informed thats it a major problem. One principal evn said he was surprised the situation hasn't reached national headlines!!

Rang educational board they adviced me that I can appeal with a section 23 but still may not succeed! After that my only choices are schools in villages close by (don't know about transport ) or home tuition:mad:

Take note anyone moving to portarlington don't get caught like me.

At this stage I'm fuming will keep you posted.

Wow Undecided thats shocking...
    Please do keep us updated. Best of luck I hope something works out for ye.

undecided wrote:
    Tried killernard, convent and church of ireland one (although I'm not church ...despeeration) None could offer me a placement. Tried few in portlaoise too and have been informed thats it a major problem. One principal evn said he was surprised the situation hasn't reached national headlines!!

Rang educational board they adviced me that I can appeal with a section 23 but still may not succeed! After that my only choices are schools in villages close by (don't know about transport ) or home tuition:mad:

Take note anyone moving to portarlington don't get caught like me.

At this stage I'm fuming will keep you posted.

Wow again, Jesus well I am surprised at that. You might think about taking it to a media level ie. Gerry Ryan/ Joe Duffy etc.

I grew up in Cloneygowan - 3/4 miles outside Portarlington on the Tullamore road. I know that a school bus does run out there to pick up secondary students so you might be able to utilise that.

I really can't believe that situation though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

There's also a NS in Rath, near Ballybrittas, maybe worth a shot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

I have lived in port now for good while now, and must say that the town is ON THE UP, big time. When I first move down from Dublin it looked as though half the main street was falling down. The Pop was 2.5K then it's up at 8k now and all the town needs now is one big factory to move in.

As for pubs, the best has to be THE CONTINENTAL BAR nice food during the day and live bands on Friday, DJ on SAT and might still do SUNDAY afternoon trad spot. Also the two DUB guys that own it are sound.

Hey all
    Well after a bit more of a delay I'm hoping to get my keys to my house next week! So I've all summer to do it up and the garden is a complete blank canvas can't wait to get started on it too.

But what is the best way to meet people in Port? Is there a popular club to join or an evening class etc?? I know absolutely no one in Port. Only the Auctioneer through dealings obviously..!

I can't have my friends and family down from Dublin every weekend!...

PS. Undecided, How are you getting on with schools? Have you tried contacting the local councillors? Even if they can't help they will be advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

satguy wrote:
    As for pubs, the best has to be THE CONTINENTAL BAR nice food during the day and live bands on Friday, DJ on SAT and might still do SUNDAY afternoon trad spot. Also the two DUB guys that own it are sound.

The Conto is nice now but were you in it before it was done up???....*shudders at thought of old conto*. Its a great pub now though! The owner is very sound.

rsta wrote:
    Hey all
    Well after a bit more of a delay I'm hoping to get my keys to my house next week! So I've all summer to do it up and the garden is a complete blank canvas can't wait to get started on it too.

But what is the best way to meet people in Port? Is there a popular club to join or an evening class etc?? I know absolutely no one in Port. Only the Auctioneer through dealings obviously..!

I can't have my friends and family down from Dublin every weekend!...

PS. Undecided, How are you getting on with schools? Have you tried contacting the local councillors? Even if they can't help they will be advised.

Nearly sure I read sumwhere that there is night classes in port will check it out and post back. As for anyhting else I dont know but if you find out share it here coz i'll be in the same situation soon too! probably end up goin mad and start talking to the walls!! Im kinda luck though i've got the kids I think you meet people quicker through them. If you have any kick them out to play and make friends!

As for the schools I'm in limbo have no answers applied to the schools again in writing and rang to confirm receipt when I told them the education welfare adviced me on what steps to take and hinted that I would be making an appeal I was met with different attitude so heres hoping!

• Advertisement

yeah!!!

Got school to take both thank god! Dont know what I would have done if I didnt youngest gets bored easily is a fulltome job to keep him stimulated hence im really really happy!:D :D:D

also for anyone looking for info on port found a website www.neighbours.ie seems to be very new but might be worth keepin an eye on!

Advertisement