Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living In Portarlington

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭satguy

Steve_o wrote:
    The Conto is nice now but were you in it before it was done up???....*shudders at thought of old conto*. Its a great pub now though! The owner is very sound.

yes I even remember the hill as you moved down the end of the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 port02

hi,
    just moving to the area and wondering if there are any broadbrand providers that you don't need a phone line for in portarlington?
    thanks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

So I was down in Port at the weekend, had a few beers, woke up the next morning and drank about 2L of water - from the tap. Then started getting violently sick.

Since when is the water contaminated?? And why didn't I get the memo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

connundrum wrote:
    So I was down in Port at the weekend, had a few beers, woke up the next morning and drank about 2L of water - from the tap. Then started getting violently sick.

The water isn't contaminated.....you just drank too much too quickly and got sick....also how many is a "few" beers????

Seriously? The lads in the house were drinking out of water bottles and said that the water was fooked? Maybe they were messin with me...

A couple of beers = < 4
    A few beers = < 8
    On the lash = < 14
    One too many = 15 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

connundrum wrote:
    Seriously? The lads in the house were drinking out of water bottles and said that the water was fooked? Maybe they were messin with me...

A couple of beers = < 4
    A few beers = < 8
    On the lash = < 14
    One too many = 15 :(

If it is i haven't heard anything about it!!!! Maybe it is in the centre of town, i live 2 mins outside the town!!! I think alot of people are getting paranoid over the water everywhere because of what happened in Galway, but i will be checking it out....better safe than sorry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

connundrum wrote:

Hi ya Connundrum,

Yeah the water in Port got contaminated bk there around mid May. it happened bout 2 weeks after my water supply got cut off when I used to live in Crann Nua but i have now moved to house on Station Rd.
    A girl I work with lives out the road past John's Park... u go past the graveyard (dnt kno the name of the road) :confused::confused::confused: anyway she drank heaps of water 1 day after working out and she ended up callin in sick for the next two days with her head hung into 'the big white telephone' so i think it was most of port and surrounding areas considerin me and her lived on completly opposite sides of Port. I went to Lidl that night and the que's of people with bottled water :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Its terrible to say but thats the 2nd occasion i have heard of since i moved up here in Feb :confused::confused::confused: I just hope we dnt follow in the foot steps of Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Yeah so that drive by shooting on Saturday night was a bit of excitement I suppose..

It actually annoys me at how the town has gone down in recent years. Was talkin to a mate who's a guard and this is the 1st 'gang related' shooting outside of Limerick or Dublin apparently.

Oh well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Thanks for posting that link ChuckProphet. Looks like its going to be really good. Where abouts in Port is it?

On another subject, i have to say the indian take away delhi darbar is the tastiest indian i have ever eaten... yummm

Also, can any one recommend a good hairdressers in Portarlington??! Or if there is a salon that do student nights or need models that would be great too.

Oh, what would be the best pub to go to on a Saturday night?

Shocker about the drive-by... Heard they stole a car from maynooth, any truth in that?

Cheers all.

• Advertisement

rsta wrote:
    Thanks for posting that link ChuckProphet. Looks like its going to be really good. Where abouts in Port is it?

Its located beside The Peoples Park, kind of at the back of the Credit Union, or about 200-300 yards down from The Bank of Ireland (and opposite Bank of Ireland)
    rsta wrote:
    On another subject, i have to say the indian take away delhi darbar is the tastiest indian i have ever eaten... yummm

Also, can any one recommend a good hairdressers in Portarlington??! Or if there is a salon that do student nights or need models that would be great too.

For studenty type things I'd say a salon in Port Laoise might be a better option. Female friends have rarely had problems in Peter McAvoys if thats still open :confused:
    rsta wrote:
    Oh, what would be the best pub to go to on a Saturday night?

A matter of opinion obviously, The Continental has a 'decent' night on a Saturday - kind of a disco bar effect. The Anvil usually has a decent atmosphere, and the After Dark is nice for a quietish pint.
    rsta wrote:
    Shocker about the drive-by... Heard they stole a car from maynooth, any truth in that?

Yeah, was taken from Maynooth. Madness altogether, an increased Garda presence may take some of it out, but it will prob always be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

connundrum wrote:
    For studenty type things I'd say a salon in Port Laoise might be a better option. Female friends have rarely had problems in Peter McAvoys if thats still open :confused:

I recommend McEvoy's too, been going there 3 years, Peter is very good. I'm not sure if they do student things you could ring and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

rsta wrote:

I have been told that there is a hairdressers just off Station Rd. that is suppose to be very good...

If you drive down as far as Centra on Station Rd and take the right turn at Centra....just past Centra's car park there is a house on the left with a little drive up to it and it has a sign at the entrance saying 'Beauty Salon' or something like that.

The owner does hair and tanning as far as i kno... hope that helps :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hi,

I want to get wireless broadband, using a router or otherwise, can anybody recommend a good and not too expensive providor? I have organised a line to be installed by eircom.
    Any help appreciated!

jergam wrote:
    Hi,

I want to get wireless broadband, using a router or otherwise, can anybody recommend a good and not too expensive providor? I have organised a line to be installed by eircom.
    Any help appreciated!

eircom do a bundle for 50 a month includes broadband, line rental and off peak calls i think - check their site. Connection is free and the router is free.
    bt do the same one for 45. i think digiweb are in the area but not sure of their price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bobbi69

does anyone know what kilmalogue is like?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 laoisgirl

Kilmalogue is nice its in the Offaly end of the town which is very quiet but right beside both Primary School and Secondary Schools and the Church ! if that appeals to you !! Its about 10 minute walk to main town but there is a Deli/restaurant a pub 'The Hawthorn' and a Centra which are the main necessities !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bobbi69

laoisgirl wrote:
    Kilmalogue is nice its in the Offaly end of the town which is very quiet but right beside both Primary School and Secondary Schools and the Church ! if that appeals to you !! Its about 10 minute walk to main town but there is a Deli/restaurant a pub 'The Hawthorn' and a Centra which are the main necessities !

hahaha the offaly end of the town?? my friend is thinking of moving to there so was trying to check it out for him. cheers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hi

does anybody have any info on a ladies only gym I heard was opening in the town?

jergam wrote:
    Hi

does anybody have any info on a ladies only gym I heard was opening in the town?

there's a sign up on park lane for one opening in october. just off main st. don't know if it's a gym or curves type effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Hi all,

can anyone help me on this one. i moved to port in march of this year and am living in a new housing estate. have got to know my neighbour and have a drinking buddy. however im still getting to know the place, and have visited a few of the pubs, restaurants, the park and hope to join the gym when it opens. im looking into night courses and was wondering are there any classes on in port or is portlaoise the nearest place to them?

cheers in advance for any advice given!

RuBy-J

also hi to all the new people new to portarlington! i reckon we should all arrange a night we could all meet for drinks as we are all in the same boat! :D

Let me know what ye all think of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Ah nice one for the info Connundrum :) I like th Continental alright. Been on a bit of a pub crawl a couple times, even have sampled the delights of Legends... hehe :eek:

Yeah I think I've seen the sign for that hairdressers Valpuk, there is a shiny scissors on it. I actually didnt take notice of it cos i thought it was for a tailor... :o !! well I must give them a go some time.

And Hi to Ruby J, great to hear u settling into Port!

Tis hard to meet people I find, as I am out all day, and most of neighbours are too, only on nodding/hello/weather chat terms with them really. Hallowe'en next week, so might get chatting to kids parents trick or treating on wednesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 idleian

Good idea rsta i can't believe i'm living here 2 years and only found this forum,although i only recently got broadband in anyway.I find it the same and only know neighbours on nodding terms.Heres a question,i was looking at the houses in sli na mona and saw bad reports on them here but now i heard that some of them are sinking,anyone else heard/experienced that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

hi everybody,im from port all my life and its the best place in ireland,some much crack every weekend

thanks rsta. yeh port is nice. glad to see the leisure centre is finally finished! a good way of meeting new people! does anyone know if there is a social club or anything here in port????

:)

im not sure ruby j if theres any social clubs or that and i would not even know where to start to try find out,im useless i know, but i know all the good drinkin spots

Oh really? thats a pity. I'll try google something.I guess joining the gym is the best bet so!
    what are the best drinking spots, ive heard the anvil and the after dark are good.

yeah tha anvil and after dark are good spots, the continental is not to bad either and it has a late bar there, and the weighbridge has karaoke on thurs and saturday night,any pub is ok though cause you can have a bit of crack in every pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I suppose this is a bit of a rant about Port so feel free to move it.

I was doing the first ever craft fair there this weekend, it was billed as a bringing business into port day. There was meant to be a bouncy castle and entertainment.
    It appears though that the local traders are stuck in the world of 50 years ago and were concerned that it would ruin their business.
    Even though permission was granted, the bouncy castle was taken down and moved.
    The lady organiser said the advertising never went up because of the opposition.
    What i did personally observe was a deputation from "the main street". Three large guys in suits surrounding the lone female organiser and haranguing her.
    I know she was calling the gardai at the time.
    Personally i have never witness such scenes in any fair i have worked at before that.

I for one would never consider moving to port or shopping there after witnessing that.

Advertisement