Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orals

Options
  • 23-03-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

We've been preparing lots of abstract topics for our orals and the teachers are giving the impression that we will definately get asked a few abstract questions. Yet a couple of friends of mine did their leaving last year and neither got asked any abstract questions and they both did honours and one got an A1 in Irish and a B1 in french and the other got a B1 in both. Do you think we will get asked abstract questions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

what do you mean by abstract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

if you know your basics in french very well adn have your document well prepared then you're grand

there might be a few questions that are a development on what you talked about ie if you're talking about GAA you might be asked about the opening of Croker to rugby and football
    but thats just so they can tell who is A1 standard

other than that sort of thing if you talk long enough on the basics your grand

Irish has more of a tendancy to go into these issues but you just make sure that you are in total control and that you guide the conversation to where you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

what do you mean by abstract?

Alcohal, drug problems, crime, environment etc. Sorry I didn't specify, I'm just used to the teachers saying abstract!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

in spanish we've covered a tiny bit on smoking, drugs and alcohol. and in irish we've covered a bit of the same and rules of the school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

In my mock French oral, the examiner had abstract topics coming out of her arse - and I wasn't even that good. I know that was only the mocks, but I would have thought the abstract topics were basically a certainty in both French and Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

In my pre I got asked on 3 abstract topics, national lottery, social problems and school rules. actually social problems was almost immediately asked.
    as for french i brought them all up myself....whoops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

i brought them all up myself....whoops!

Yeah thats something I'm bound to do in Irish on Monday!
    I'm gonna try keep on keep on talking about all the easy stuff: family, television, job, computers and all my hobbies and hope that time will be up by the time I'm finished with all that!
    Tá mé shítting a brick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

Theres usually a very big flow, like you can direct your conversation to what topics you like, they usually ask you about your family hobbies etc, just mention some hobbies that you are prepared to go into deeply and they'll almost always go for them, its just like a normal conversation. I was the first person in my school to do my language(italian) in the orals and the time flies by really. Don't worry and good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

My sis did Italian a few years ago and the guy had kidneystones and collapsed in the middle of the oral of the girl before her! She had 2 do 2 orals on like the Tursday and Friday, hell or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

Im coming down with a cold :( Irish Oral on thursday - bugger!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They'll generally only ask you abstract topics if they think you can handle it.

Be careful what you tell them though. I made the mistake in my VERY FIRST SENTENCE of telling the examiner that I wanted to study Genetics in Edinburgh. This lead to him asking me all about genetics- things I can't even explain in english, let alone in irish. Anybody know how to say "inherited genetic trait" in irish? And then it moved onto a discussion of why I wanted to go to Edinburgh which lead to drugs, alcohol, violence and irish culture.

The whole thing was horrifying. But it still helped me get a decent grade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

For those who speak Deutsch

Ich bin ein bisschen nervos uber die Mundlich prufung. Meine geshreibness deutsch ist besser als meine gesprochness deutsch! Ich hasse die bildergeschicten! Ich bin tot fur ihnen! Hilfe mir bitte!
    basically I hate the follow on questions of d picture sequences!der so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

d4gurl wrote:
    For those who speak Deutsch

Ich bin ein bisschen nervos uber die Mundlich prufung. Meine geshreibness deutsch ist besser als meine gesprochness deutsch! Ich hasse die bildergeschicten! Ich bin tot fur ihnen! Hilfe mir bitte!
    basically I hate the follow on questions of d picture sequences!der so long!
    If you hate them so much why didn't you do the project option instead..................like me:p

Se&#225 wrote: »
    Simple.

If they ask you an abstract question in Irish don't just struggle through an answer. Say something like:

"Ní leanaim cursaí politíocta agus is fuath liom rudaí mar sin.. Ach is brea liom na Simpsons" (or whatever)

Orals are just a conversation. When someone brings up politics in a conversation i'm having with them i tell them to shut up! So do the same in the orals!

I've thought about that but surely they'll be less inclined to give me a high grade if I stay away from the challenging questions?
    I've a few sentences that can be applied to most of the topics like the government are doing their best, the problem is getting more widespread etc but if they ask any specific questions, particularly on politics I'll probably blank! In my mock oral I was asked about the minister for health and I had no idea who the minister is so I assumed the minister was a he and made a fool of myself!

Faerie wrote:
    I've thought about that but surely they'll be less inclined to give me a high grade if I stay away from the challenging questions?
    I've a few sentences that can be applied to most of the topics like the government are doing their best, the problem is getting more widespread etc but if they ask any specific questions, particularly on politics I'll probably blank! In my mock oral I was asked about the minister for health and I had no idea who the minister is so I assumed the minister was a he and made a fool of myself!
    that reminds me of my mock oral and i was asked about mary harney..i was like, i don't know alot about her, but i do know that she's the tanaiste and the minister for health! i think she's about 50, but she's looking well for her age!!

that lead me onto my favourite topic of all...fashion and shopping!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

How's everyone's nerves? Although I still have a lot of vocab to learn for the abstract topics, I'm not nervous in the least. More confident for some reason.

Now, come me waiting outside the room to go in I could very well be crying and shaking uncontrollably, but at the moment I'm Kool and the Gang.

Actually, does anyone know how to say "Enough points" As in, "It will be hard to get enough points for my course"?

il sera difficile de faire assez points pour étudier l'architecture or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i think the mocks were good, cos i was **** nervous for my orals/music practical, but they went well, and im not as nervous about the real thing??

but well... music i will actually be shaking i know. which isnt good when you're supposed to be playing piano.....
    EEEK..

its tomorrow..

*feels sick at thought*

ok, maybe i take my first comment back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Did anyone get an A1 in the pre??? I got 78 myself in french, my teacher is an examiner so it's accurate. Other ppl in schools just get their teacher to mark it and they just give everyone A's which can't be true.

Funkstard wrote:
    Actually, does anyone know how to say "Enough points" As in, "It will be hard to get enough points for my course"?

il sera difficile de faire assez points pour étudier l'architecture or something?

il sera difficile d'obtenir assez de points
    Gangsta wrote:
    Did anyone get an A1 in the pre???

i did! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Lime

With the Irish abstract parts its hard to pick whats going up but try hit 2 or 3 things in your prepared answers.Like pick up somethig on drugs and alcohol, you could have something about young people using them and how crime is always related it most of the activity.Then if a question comes up on young people and pressure or drugs or crime or alcohol or the news ( the examiner won't know every bit of current news and chances are theres been some trouble in the past few days with these topics) you will be ok.
    Remember if your stuck on a topic you don't know anything on, you can say you dont know any thing on the that topic.As long as you respond with coherent irish you'll be ok.
    Try plan it.Try lead the conversation in the way you want it to go.Im going to say i like television as a passtime and that i really like the news and political shows.Hopefully that will lead to a question on politicians or the health bord etc.
    Remember that the examiner is under pressure to find questions to relate to you so help him/her make it easy for you.:) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I'm absolutely ****ting myself :( I'm lucky #13 in tomorrow for French and I'm terrified! I've my document and basics well prepared, but god help me if I'm asked summat difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I had two proper practice orals with outside examiners for german. I also had two one on ones with my teachers and I did a quick chat of general questions with a native speaker. I just want to get the oral over and done with. Oh we didnt get the option to do the project!!!shiza1for irish i hvnt even sudied yet-its not till next week!but we were given notes on d war in iraq - politics in Ireland and loads of other hard stuff - they only ask those question to the students who are good. Btw u prob lall know this bur for irish no ur Modh coniiloch and all ur other aimsirs inside out - ull be tested on prob each one!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Gangsta wrote:
    Did anyone get an A1 in the pre??? I got 78 myself in french, my teacher is an examiner so it's accurate. Other ppl in schools just get their teacher to mark it and they just give everyone A's which can't be true.

i got 89

one lad got full marks and another 99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'll be super cool in the orals, i dont know how to panic.

i've even laced my irish orals with 'smart ass stuff' like, "i only need x points, so i won't have any problems, i think you'll agree".

"as you can see, i'm a clever person so i feel ive made clever decisions regarding my future".

eat that :D im gonna take the piss out of this examiner. ive planned everything to military precision so that if i'm asked about myself, i'll be able to link 5 other topics and talk fluently for 5 mins 30 seconds.

smemon wrote:
    i'll be super cool in the orals, i dont know how to panic.

i've even laced my irish orals with 'smart ass stuff' like, "i only need x points, so i won't have any problems, i think you'll agree".

"as you can see, i'm a clever person so i feel ive made clever decisions regarding my future".

eat that :D im gonna take the piss out of this examiner. ive planned everything to military precision so that if i'm asked about myself, i'll be able to link 5 other topics and talk fluently for 5 mins 30 seconds.

Planning sounds like a great idea but I don't think taking the piss out of the examiner is a fantastic idea!! They will be slightly biased in their mark (it's human nature!) and they might get pissed off with you!
    My teacher actually recommended that we act really confident, make loads of eye contact and smile a lot because we will give the impression of being an A student and impressions can influence the mark. Also apparently it really pisses the examiner off if you make it hard for them to ask questions - which is definately something I'm in danger of doing because I'm naturally a shy person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I got 90% in higher german in the mock. 95 in the oral and our examiner was an examiner examiner. I want 100in the real german oral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tara_mac

im repeating and they dont really go into depth on absrtact things like in irish you can guide it yourself, the orals are about being able to talk not what you know about drugs and crime ect if you know one or two good easy things to say on each youll be grand all you have to say is i dont know nmuch about it but i think........ you'll get away with a few simple phrases then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Aw lads had mine today! At least I didn't cry in front of yer man like a few people did!
    He asked me what sort of a person I am and I answered 'Tá mé go maith', what sort of a retard am I! I def made a balls of all the tenses aswell but hey I kept talking and talking and thats all that matters so it's all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

Well Done Deise! I like your confidence. Even though you make a mistake, keep talking. It's the best way to get makes.

Lean ar aghaidh agus bí ag cáint!

Slán!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

My german is on tomorrow. I was supposed to be in today, last or second last, but we had two external students, repeating from last year, they took up ages, so I'm maybe 4th or 5th in tomorrow.

My mock examiner was very thorough, she talked us through our mistakes at the end, and the best two pieces of advice she gave to me were to make sure I speak slowly (I have a habit of talkign extremely quickly) to avoid errors I wouldn't usually make and to record myself, then play it back to see what I sound like.

I think I'm ok. I know my past, present and future really well. I can speak in the conditional reasonably well too, so I hope I don't mess it up. I know that I know the stuff, so fingers crossed it'll go well! Hope it works out well for you all. Any specific roleplays or picture stories dreaded by anyone?

Viel Gluck!

Advertisement