Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brakes Question

Options
  • 23-03-2006 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Have a E36 bmw and there's what sounds like a droneing noise coming from the brakes if i press hard or from high speed...
    Had custom made discs put on - would this be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Did the problem only start when you replaced the discs? Is there vibration, or just the noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Just a noise, like a drone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A droning noise is usually associated with a wheel bearing - Do you get this noise on a left or right curve at about 50km/h with no brakes applied?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It could be a number of things. If the niose is coming just during braking then i doubt its a bearing.
    The brakes could be warped or even just not sitting on a clean surface. the pads could be worn also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Kinda confusing. Is the noise present if the brakes are not applied?.

If not aplied. I'd second the bearing.

If only with the brakes, I'd go with the warped disk or another possibility, a warped/rustspot disk AND some loose joints.

Do you have ABS?.

• Advertisement

Only when I apply the brakes from speed really...
    I bought the car with the custom made discs and it was always there really but now I'm getting it ready for the NCT i'm not so sure it'll pass on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Joeface

Had a simular noise with my old car ....piece of junk that it was , Turned out not to be the breaks at all but , driver side rear shock was complete ****ed , under breakin it was hoping up and down which was the droning sound ...If it was a bearing you would def hear it as your going in and out of bends . Not sure it will be same with ur car but might be worth lookin at all the same

Well I reckon it's the discs maybe, i mean if i put it in for the nct i presume they'll tell me whats wrong?

Advertisement