Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo News from the GDC

Options
  • 23-03-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭

Iwata has just finished delivering his keynote speech at the GDC.

The big news?

A new 3d graphics, 2d perspective Zelda game for the DS. And Mega-drive games on the 'Virtual Console' :D

No word on a new name for the Revolution, but we can expect more at E3, apparantly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A new 3d graphics, 2d perspective Zelda game for the DS. And Mega-drive games on the 'Virtual Console' :D
    Sswweeeeeet.

(Eurogamer link)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I guess Sega's on board for the Virtual Console, but I wonder who else? I'd kill for Codemasters, so I could get my hands on MicroMachines. Or EA, for Desert Strike! I also wonder will the Sega console emulation begin and end with the Mega-drive, or can we expect Master System/Saturn games too? Saturn would be doubtful due to the size of the games, but we can always hope ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

excellent news but I for one will not be paying for games I can get online free and use on an emulator for free but im sure some people will.

Kristok wrote:
    excellent news but I for one will not be paying for games I can get online free and use on an emulator for free but im sure some people will.
    Good point. Depends on the price I suppose. Any word on what that will be?

They're looking into both pay-as-you-download (rumoured price was anything from $2~ for a NES game up as far as $20 for some N64 ones), to a subscription model (a charge of about $15 a month was bandied about). Some games will also be freebies under certain conditions, so if you, say, preorder the next Metroid, you may get Super Metroid for free so you can play through that while you're waiting for it to be released!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And Mega-drive games on the 'Virtual Console' :D

I remember blue skying this as an idea on one of the early Revolution threads. Can't believe it's gonna happen!

Strider, Streets of Rage and many other classics. Man it's gonna be sweet!

Just watched a video clip of the new Zelda. In terms of looks, it's something like Wind-Waker meets Animal Crossing, with a cel-shaded Link and a fixed camera at the same angle as Animal Crossing. In terms of gameplay, it looks like the 2D versions, navigating maze-like dungeons etc.

Zelda : Phantom Hourglass trailer.

Looks fairly cool I must say. It's wind-waker style link but I kinda liked that cute wee fecker anyway.

Seem to be lot's of interesting touch-screen stuff going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Looks good!! Especially liked the bit where you can control the flight of the boomerang!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Looks great.

I just hope they don't go nuts with all the sailing around the gaff again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

TBH I expect more from a DS Zelda, 2D top down view? - we've covered this with the GBA Link's awakening & The Minish Cap and the GBC's Link to the past, would it be so much to ask to have a full 3D game in the vein of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask?... (I'd personally be more impressed with bog standard ports of these two than what I've seen of the Phantom Hourglass). Shame really... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Laguna wrote:
    TBH I expect more from a DS Zelda, 2D top down view? - we've covered this with the GBA Link's awakening & The Minish Cap and the GBC's Link to the past, would it be so much to ask to have a full 3D game in the vein of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask?... (I'd personally be more impressed with bog standard ports of these two than what I've seen of the Phantom Hourglass). Shame really... :(

A 2D game suits the handheld far better. And sure link to the past and links awakening are better than any 3D zelda :)

I really couldn't see myself playing something like Ocarina of Time on a D-pad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perspective not so important, the music mood atmosphere and quality of the story/puzzles what will make or break it for fans, once its a faithful telling of Links continuing adventures I don't think any fan can complain, aside from Zelda 2 on the Nes and the awful stuff on the CDi the Zelda series has been without reproach overall, it'll be a must have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Perspective not so important, the music mood atmosphere and quality of the story/puzzles what will make or break it for fans, once its a faithful telling of Links continuing adventures I don't think any fan can complain, aside from Zelda 2 on the Nes and the awful stuff on the CDi the Zelda series has been without reproach overall, it'll be a must have.
    Hey!, Zelda II on the NES was great!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Each to their own I guess, nothings topped the glory of Snes Zelda and Ocarina of Time, incredible titles, timeless and essentials for all thise who call themselves gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Nintendo were as prolific at making new games as they were at getting people to buy older ones over and over AND over again, then they'd be well ahead of their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

zelda 2- muck

Eiji Aonuma was interviewed very recently backing up that there would be over 100 hours of gameplay in Twilight princess. SWEEEEEEEET

evad_lhorg wrote:
    zelda 2- muck

Eiji Aonuma was interviewed very recently backing up that there would be over 100 hours of gameplay in Twilight princess. SWEEEEEEEET
    Just as long as 80 of those hours aren't speant sailing around in a feckin' boat!

Advertisement