Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand Audi a4 or a6 , any thoughts or experience??

Options
  • 23-03-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm looking to purchase an audi a4 or a6 in the next week. I'm after going through a web load of research and they come up in the top percentile in everything that is important to me. I've also wanted one since i was about ten and my next door neighbour had a lovely silver audi.

My question -

Any thoughts or experience on how the a4 and the a6 shape up to each other in the following areas -

- Handling/Performance
    - Economy ( am going to buy diesel variant)
    - Reliablity/Servicing

I'm looing at the a6 due to its vast boot and passenger area. Family planning really does hit everypart of the life :-).

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

New or used?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

hey there.

i've had two a4s.

one was a'96 fwd red rep mobile. and now i have a '98 avant tdi quattro sport in silver on rs4 18s. they were both superb cars especially my current one.
    every box you can think of, they will tick (except rear leg room). it's actually up for grabs. i'm in cork. if you're interested in seeing it, just pm me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am off to pick up a 2002 on Saturday. Got me full leather, cruise control, multi-stack changer, etc etc, the joy of buying in the uk!!

How do u find the 18" alloys, there is an option to put them on the motor but I am undecided, based on price of the tyres and how much crap Irish roads they can sustain.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

Hi mike65, its going be used , looking at getting a 2002 model, should be able to get one in or around 23000 mark.

Which rules out the 98 quattro i', afraid Cantdecide :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

Buy it from England or up north, I'm looking to buy 2003 TDI Avant A4 in the next few months, going around 11.5 k sterling from independants in the north, so with the VRT included it wont be much more than 23,000 euro (after a rough calculation). I've also find cars are in better condition in the north than down here for similar age/mileage.

Currently have a 1999 TDI A4 with 115,000 miles on the clock and still going like a dream. Apart from a weakness with the control arms at the front I've had next to no problems over the past 3 years. This weakness is gone from the B6 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

In 2002 the A4 will be the new model, the A6 will be the old one !

The new A4 is not as well built as the earlier one, but its still the better car is a little tight in the rear ! Ooohh sound painful !

Anyway my BIL has had 5 new A4's and has had a raft of problems with his current one, a 2002 TDi 130 ! Glovebox fell apart 3 times, sun visor spilt, vacuum pump failed, the symbols on the switches has faded, the radio packed up bla blah !

I dont believe these were isolated incidents either, since the dealer had all these bits in stock. And speaking of main dealers.................stay away from them !

That same Audi costs 3x times more to service than any of the Mercs we had !

Having said that, I still like them and I think the pre-facelift A4 is really nice looking once it has the larger wheels. Its far nicer than the current one !

Just get it checked out well and get a decent mechanic to service it !

Advertisement