Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pharmacy

• 23-03-2006 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey!!!!!!i was just wondering if any1 knows anything about doing pharmacy
    in college!!!!!i am really interested in doing it so anything u can tell me wud
    be great!!! is it hard?wats it like?do u like it?etc....(things that dont tell u in the prospectus)is it worthwhile goin to england to do it there!! seeing as the points are fairly high here!!!!!! cheers!oh n wheres the best college for it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ninja 101

sundance wrote:
    Hey!!!!!!i was just wondering if any1 knows anything about doing pharmacy
    in college!!!!!i am really interested in doing it so anything u can tell me wud
    be great!!! is it hard?wats it like?do u like it?etc....(things that dont tell u in the prospectus)is it worthwhile goin to england to do it there!! seeing as the points are fairly high here!!!!!! cheers!oh n wheres the best college for it!

hey sundance,
    I'm doing pharmacy in Manchester University.I just started back in september after attempting to do a year of medicinal chemistry in trinity,didn't get very far:rolleyes: .Despite some fairly crap times in the last few months I can honestly say I have never regretted it.The hardest thing I found was the adjusting to livivng away from home.If your considering doing pharmacy in England manchester is a great place,however beware of places like Aston and Bradford.These places will throw offers at you but the respective cities are not pleasent.In Bradford for example there is ALOT of racial tension,if you happen to be white the chances are you will be racially abused at some point(s) in your time there.I was also given offers from kings in london and brighton these places are good places to study pharmacy also,I wish I had looked into King but found the cost of living in London prohibitory.All in all there are about 15/20 schools of pharmacy in England and Scotland look into them all.
    Anyways I went slightly off the point there:confused: The course is not that difficult to start with in Manchester if you put a bit of work in.The first semester is spent bringing everybody up to speed in the sciences and intoducing you to some basic aspects of pharmacutical chemistry.The next semester things get a bit more difficult.The thing that supprised me most about the course is the amount of physics in it.It came as quite a shock to me and others in the course!
    Anyways I hope this has helped if you post me your e-mail I can send you on some lecture files if you like.

Anyways best of luck and try and get the point for pharmacy in Ireland as it will make things ALOT easier(except the course apparently its longer hours,harder work, and dated in comparision with the UK but I still wish I was doing it there;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sundance

Thanks!!will check out the english colleges but heres hoping that i do get the points for pharmacy in ireland !!as it would be a lot easier!!!:)
    i do physics which is a bonus but what parts of leaving cert physics are revelant to pharmacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ninja 101

I'm not sure I never did lc physics,the physics is particulary hard it just that its not what you expect to be doing when you enrole in pharmacy!KCheck out the english colleges its always good to have a safety net...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

You could also consider doing the Pharmacy Technician course here in Ireland to get a taste for it. The course duration is two years and after completion you can work or go straight into 2nd year Pharmacy in Brighton Uni. I've lived in Brighton, London and briefly in Manchester, and have to say Brighton is by far the best, not quite as busy as London but the people are far more friendlier in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

ninja 101 wrote:
    I'm not sure I never did lc physics,the physics is particulary hard it just that its not what you expect to be doing when you enrole in pharmacy!KCheck out the english colleges its always good to have a safety net...

Ninja could you please PM me an example of the Physics id be expected to do in the Pharmacy course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Pharmacy's tough enough, its 4 years of work and you wouldn't want to be afraid of needles, etc.

You really should be sure you want to do it and have an interest, because even though the money is good if you come out the other end, you're unlikely to be able to complete the course unless you're interested in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sundance

really needles!!!:confused: how would they come into it?
    i did my work experience in my local pharmacy and i had a great time there!
    i found it really interesting and i love the job of a community pharmacist!!!!
    i think it would suit me down to the ground to be honest!i love physics chemistry and biology!!but i have heard such horrible things about the course itself! im just really curious as to what its about!!!

when you say you wont be able to complete the course if you dont have an interest!is that to do with people who choose pharmacy without really wanting to do it or having a clue what its about! i am hoping that i will know what to expect in all areas of it! and therefore not be one of those people!!!:)
    also i am researching it for my careers project for school!!so if anybody has any more helpful advice for secondary school students!!that wud be great!
    i might actually try and get experience and advice about it through some more work experience this summer!!!

Advertisement