Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Truly disturbing scenes 18+

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Can only think of a recent one at the moment.

Ok, don't laugh (it's not quite 18+ anyway) but the bit in The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    when Emily's boyfriend unintentionally falls asleep beside her in her dorm room. He wakes a little while later and she's no longer in the bed. When he looks across the room (and you see the expression of horror on his face just before you see her) she's lying on the floor, her neck completely bent back and her arms and legs all contorted, and her pupils are so dilated that her eyes look completely black. Her boyfriend is calling her name but she can't hear him - eeewww!

Creeped me out anyway, but then I've always been more affected by supernatural stuff than gore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

The hills have eyes - where your man is being burned to death and his family have to watch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kolodny wrote:
    Can only think of a recent one at the moment.

Ok, don't laugh (it's not quite 18+ anyway) but the bit in The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    when Emily's boyfriend unintentionally falls asleep beside her in her dorm room. He wakes a little while later and she's no longer in the bed. When he looks across the room (and you see the expression of horror on his face just before you see her) she's lying on the floor, her neck completely bent back and her arms and legs all contorted, and her pupils are so dilated that her eyes look completely black. Her boyfriend is calling her name but she can't hear him - eeewww!

Creeped me out anyway, but then I've always been more affected by supernatural stuff than gore.
    Agreed... very creepy!

Also in the same film,
    the demonic faces scattered throughout her little episode around her college campus... scary stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Most of Ichi the killer.

But if I had to choose a scene it'd be the man hung up by hooks getting the boiling oil torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Murder in the First - where Gary Oldman's character slices the Achilles tendon of Kevin Bacon (just because he can)

Ethan Hawke stabbing an apparant pregnant Angelina Jolie (guy sitting next to me in the cinema jumped in his seat when that happened...I laughed...oops)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Murder in the First - where Gary Oldman's character slices the Achilles tendon of Kevin Bacon (just because he can)

Yeah, that film is horrible. Really harrowing. Remember the way he kept Kevin Bacon locked up in a dungeon naked for over three years, occasionally allowing him out for beatings and torture. And the way he'd trick him into thinking that he was being freed.

A Man Called Horse - the initiation ritual where Richard Harris is suspended by the nipples from meat-hooks. Nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

The scene in The Wicker Man where
    they have the circle of swords and dancers insert their heads.

Actually... most of The Wicker Man is disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

but the music is fantastic, especially in the uncut version :)

crash_000 wrote:
    but the music is fantastic, especially in the uncut version :)
    Yeah, the fact that it sounds so sweet and folky - very sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The bit in The Exorcist: A Director's Cut (2001 I think..anyway, this scene isn't in the original) where Regan's mother turns around after closing the front door.....and Regan is scuttling (complete with horrifying scuttle noises) down the stairs, with blood coming out of her mouth. The worst thing is, her back isn't arched as it should be..it's completely straight...argh.

Also, which is in the original too, where her head turns completely around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i seen that yeah.. that was just weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ah yes.. 'The Exorcist' Spiderwalk is a particularly creepy bit of footage.

I originally saw it in Mark Kermode's excellent documentary "25 Years of The Exorcist; Hell on Earth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

as stupid as it may sound, but still the scene with the "supposed" ghost in 3 men and a baby freaks me out, my uncle told me about it years ago, i was only about 11 or 12, and i remember that night i couldnt even sleep in my bed, as it was beside the window :D:D:D

but horrors, hmmm, the scene in SAW 2 where the girl is thrown into the syringes is pretty sick as i ****ing hate needles, and theirs another scene in Hostel, but i wont say it as it`ll be a spolier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Lodgepole wrote:
    I recently watched Men Behind the Sun and there were a few bits in it that really made me squirm.

Another vote for that, its not a nice film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Juggalo wrote:
    The rape scene in the tunnel in Irreversibile, and also the gay night club scene.
    Stekelly wrote:
    the guy being made bite the kerb and Ed Norton stamping on his head in American History X

These were the first two I thought of!! Interestingly, the director included a 28MHz white noise in the soundtrack for irreversible during the gay nightclub/fire extinguisher scene. This sound frequency is known to induce feelings of nausea and succeeded in making this the most-walked out of film during its release!

Everything about Irreversible made it truly shocking and horrifying for me but it is an excellent and well crafted film that I would watch again. Not one for a first date or to suggest to a girlfriend as 'my favourite film' unless you want out of your relationship very quickly! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

another for ichi the killer but its only in the uncut version. where they pull the girls nipples out onto the edge of a glass table and run the knife right across. pretty horrible/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Its years since I watched "I Spit on Your Grave", about a rape victims revenge on her attackers. All her revenge tactics were gruesome, but the way she deals with one of the guys in a shower is horrific and would make any guy squirm. I was about 14/15 at the time, and actually had nightmares about it for weeks after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

HavoK wrote:
    Any scene in Cannibal Holocaust where the cannibals dismember the film crew in graphic detail. Sometimes it looks so real it's actually hard to believe its not real! :eek:

There are loads of gorier films out there but only a very select few that genuinely disturb me....

i thought i'd never hear of that film again, i didnt want to *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Just watched Wolf Creek and that had a part of it that was pretty disturbing - where the guy does the trick he learned from the vietnam war.

You dont see that much goriness in that scene - but the sound effects and the expression are enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

just watched Irrevesible last night, & yep the was a difficult movie to watch, the fireextinguisher scene itself wasnt that bad, but i found the build-up to it alot worse, especially the noise

and as for the other scene, what can i say...

good movie but i dont thinki could watch it again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In a double-billing of masochistism, I just watched "Cannibal Holocaust" and "Irreversible".

From the former, I definetely want to add the turtle scene. Knowing it's actually real makes me squirm. The other cannibalism scenes are gory, but they didn't affect me so much because of the choppy (if effective) editing. The animal killings were nastier. It's not really a date movie...

Irreversible - the two scenes that have already been mentioned. Interesting fact about the white noise as I did feel mildly discomfited throughout the time when Cavel was running through that freaky S&M club. It must have been the noise and the veritgious camerawork. That was pretty nasty but I actually had to glance away during the rape scene - how the hell you could film that and not be affected ... In some ways though it's a powerful indictment of the real pain and anguish of rape and rightfully disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

The whole of Baise-Moi was pretty distrubing imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

The rape scene in "Man Bites Dog" when he gets the film crew to join in. Also when he kills the entire family.

Juggalo wrote:
    The rape scene in "Man Bites Dog" when he gets the film crew to join in. Also when he kills the entire family.

Probably not a nice thing to say but the 'Die granny Die' bit made me laugh. Other parts of it were disturbing, like the rape scene, they mixed in the black humour pretty well. Baise Moi had less humour - the rape scene and the cash machine bit were nasty - the other shooting spree stuff didnt appear as bad after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not really horror, but in American History X, the part where he kicks the guys head in on the kurb. The sound of his teeth scraping off the concrete just before he boots his head in always got to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mr Burns wrote:
    The whole of Baise-Moi was pretty distrubing imho.

You must have a very gentle stomach.

Baise-Moi is nothing but a shameless smut fest with a budget you wouldn't make a radio advert on. Crap acting, crap direction, crap camera work, crap everything - its hard to imagine how one can make nudity "crap", but Baise Moi is just one of the worst things I've ever seen and about as disturbing as daytime TV on Nicktoons.

Btw, ixoy, were you watching an uncut edition of Holocaust? I didn't notice any specific choppiness during the (uncut) film during the gore scenes, and its an extremely common feature in movies that were cut to find the action seemingly jumping all over the place...

BTW, has anyone seen Toxic Avenger IV Uncut? Its not quite as honestly disturbing given its comedy theme but there are several scenes which, comedy or no comedy, are quite disturbing, including an eldery woman - graphically - having her head driven over by a car and them simutaneously pissing and ****ting herself as she twitches on the ground in all its gory detail. As well as that, there are countless other scenes, including an m60 wielding terrorist killing an entire class of handicapped children that really give new meaning to the phrase "Bad Taste". Why it was never released uncut outside of the US is not really a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Audition, piano wire and needles, enough said.
    The Irreversable nightclub scene as already mentioned, plus the fact that the camera work gave me motion sickness making it that little big worse.

Audition was probably the last movie I saw that really freaked me out.
    Had no idea what to expect and just got it for its cover - bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, I bought Audition before all the hype, I don't recall seeing any mention of it and it had just been releaesed on DVD, and I had no idea what was in store. It was messed up.
    Similar, there are some scenes in Takashi Miike's episode of Masters Of Horror ("Imprint") that are just f'd up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

1) "Jacob's Ladder" (class film!) - there are a couple of scenes in this that take you by surprise
    :When he opens the fidge at the party and see the twitching head (or whatever it is!)
    and when he
    is being wheeled along on a gurney through a 'Silent Hill' style hospital

2) In "The Ring" when
    the girl first crawls out of the TV
    and most of the scenes where 'that' tape is being viewed during the film!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Definitely the extinguisher scene in Irreversible

icon_puke.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Burning scene in the wickerman. Thats one messed up film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

garred wrote:
    Definitely the extinguisher scene in Irreversible

icon_puke.gif

I'm so glad that it was "only" a scene from a movie. I found it on one of the clip sites and thought it was real. It seriously upset me.

I had forgotten about the kerbing scene, that was ugly.

I wonder have people actually done these things after seeing them in movies or is that only a load of propaganda on behalf of the pro-censorship lobby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Hagar wrote:
    I wonder have people actually done these things after seeing them in movies or is that only a load of propaganda on behalf of the pro-censorship lobby?
    I think art imitates life, not life imitates art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Doodlebug wrote:
    1) "Jacob's Ladder" (class film!) and when he
    is being wheeled along on a gurney through a 'Silent Hill' style hospital

yah that was odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Again, not a horror, but The Hillside Stranglers is one of the most sick films I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

In Hostel there was a nice moment when a kid smashes in the head of some guy like a melo, looks really realistic tbh.

Googled some of the films mentioned here like Audition and Men Behind The Sun. Dudes! You've got some resilient stomachs! I take my hat off to anyone who's brave enough to sit through something like Men Behind The Sun. We gotta know that this stuff happened. But I sure wouldn't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭candlewax

Saw Silent Hill last night. I've seen my share of stuff and I was genuinely surprised they were allowed leave in some of the stuff they did. I'd still recommend it.

Generally, eastern horror films are likely to mess with yer head as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement