Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of strike pay?

Options
  • 23-03-2006 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Back in 2002, I was on strike in a retailer and only received €10 a day strike pay. That was despite the fact that some people were missing out on wages of up to €80 a day. It didn't bother me too much as I was part-time but it had a very bad effect on the lifestyle of people with families and bills to pay.

I was just wondering if the figure unions give today are still as paltry?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Lemlin wrote:
    Back in 2002, I was on strike in a retailer and only received €10 a day strike pay. That was despite the fact that some people were missing out on wages of up to €80 a day. It didn't bother me too much as I was part-time but it had a very bad effect on the lifestyle of people with families and bills to pay.

I was just wondering if the figure unions give today are still as paltry?

I wonder if such are eligable for family income supplament?

Anyway the Union leaders

- Are elected for life or until they decide to retire
    -dont publish their earnings but I think about 150,000 a year should be in the region. What does the general secretary or president of SIPTU get? probably more with expenses.
    - SIPTU dont have a constitution online nor do they show who their "officers" are or how much they are paid and what expenses they get (such as car parking for life).

Actually SIPTU does now have their national executive online:
    http://www.siptu.ie/AboutSIPTU/Structures/NationalExecutiveCouncil/

So I take that back. But what about the Siptu officers and how much they are paid? Or a copy of their constitution? the officers are there but only three of them. dont tell me their fifteen floor building has only three people working in it! With public administration they are all listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Does anyone know the figure paid for strike pay though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

SIPTU dispute benefit per week, as per the Diary (with the new rates of contributions)
    Members paying €4.32 per week - €150 per week
    Members paying €4.12 per week - €150 per week
    Members paying €2.92 per week - €110 per week

The SIPTU diary also lists all officials and admin assistants for all branches. I've also a copy of the SIPTU rule book, which I got when I asked for it.

I've no doubt I would get a constitution if I asked for it too. As for individual employee's salaries, the union is dead right not to publish them, but again, I've not doubt they'd give the Salary range for positions if a member asked for them.

As far as I'm aware, all the info is freely available to members of the unions. I don't have a problem with it not being available to non-members.

Just as a matter of interest, do IBEC publish on the website all the information you desire to know about SIPTU?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Macy wrote:
    SIPTU dispute benefit per week, as per the Diary (with the new rates of contributions)

The SIPTU diary also lists all officials and admin assistants for all branches. I've also a copy of the SIPTU rule book, which I got when I asked for it.

I've no doubt I would get a constitution if I asked for it too. As for individual employee's salaries, the union is dead right not to publish them, but again, I've not doubt they'd give the Salary range for positions if a member asked for them.

As far as I'm aware, all the info is freely available to members of the unions. I don't have a problem with it not being available to non-members.

Just as a matter of interest, do IBEC publish on the website all the information you desire to know about SIPTU?

That's basically €30 a day from a union that has reserves of 40 million or so AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Macy wrote:
    ...snip

What do they need the reserves for? Isn't that rampant capatalism? Maybe they need them to pay fat pensions to senior civil and public servants?

Thanks for supplying where the info is. I might ask for it if i ever go to a branch meeting again. With the questions I ask people dont want to see me on any comittees but I noted one of their "party" friends (who ironically also is a personal friend of mine but they don't know that) ended up on the executive with even less qualifications than me to be a branch member??? His uncle was an old Labour TD. then again what Labour TD's arent "old"? :) Maybe that is just my branch.

Don't know. I am not in IBEC. Do they?

• Advertisement
Advertisement