Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Institute

Options
  • 23-03-2006 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey I'm in TY and considering going to the Institute next year... I can't make up my mind and was wondering has anyone any tips or experiences they would like to share with me? x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Yeha i went and i had a brilliant time. Though i didn't go to the institute to get loads of points, i went because i didn't want to do fourth year, so my motivation was different to the majority of my year.

5th year was fantastic. It was the nicest school i have ever been to, though there were 300 students it felt like everyone knew everyone. We were still on the lefthand side of leeson street in the old builing so it was very small, but i was in to see my old pronciple and the new building is gorgeous. 5th year is a really good idea. You form a base of friends who are live savers in 6th year, the presure of a new school and the lc all in one year, no thank you. You also cover a hell of alot of material in 5th year. In everthing but history and maths i had nearly the whole course done, so got to do it twice and then got to do revision. the teachers also get to know you as a result of 5th year which is a sea of 1000 students in 6th year is a really useful thing.

6th year is hell, but then it may be hell anywhere, i only did the lc once so i never expierenced it in another school. Unlike in other schools there is no support network of teachers who have known you for 6 years who know your strengths and weaknesses, they offer extra tutorials but it is entirely up to you if you do the work or not. I know that they say that everywhere but it is true. If you choose not to do the work they relaly don't care. they'll kick you out of class and continue on.

If you are willing to do work, you will do well. You have all the notes you need, but it is a very hostile overly competetive atmosphere for those who are really chasing points. However many people do end up with a fabolous social life and as a result little else. You are given a lot of freedom in 6th year which is a double edged sword.

I know that this sounds like im against it, but i'm not. I had a brillaint time, and i did really well in my exams something which i know was aided by the teaching. So good luck what ever you choose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hold me back from saying that you'd be buying your education...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

I went in 2004 for 6th and had a really good time. I met a whole load of people who im good friends in college with now. I found the teachers very approachable, it was doable to have a one-to-one with them after class. contrary to popular belief, i found some of the classes to be very intimate. in early morning classes, lunchtime classes and in subjects with less take-up(ie history), there would sometimes be as few as 5-10 people.

as for buying your education, thats a tired old cynical quib. the fact is if you dont study, you wont perform. going there doesnt magically make you a genius. I know quite a few people who under-performed or failed because they relied on cramming using the notes. the people who got 600,etc are the kind of people who could get it anywhere, those kind of people are born, not made.

In going there you run your own schedule. this is the double-edged sword of going. some thrive on it and construct a really well-planned study and class timetable, some viciously fall on this sword and just **** about getting stoned in stephens green or mitching constantly.

I'd reccommend it highly. though there is alot of work, you meet alot of people, all kinds of people: rich, not-so-rich, private school backround, public school backround, foreigners, people from all over Ireland(I met people from Cavan, galway, wexford,Rosscommon, Kildare,Meath, Donegal,the north). The people you meet there, you will bump into throughout college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

there was only one thing i forgot to mention, people in college are bitter towards you.

Pugwash gave a much nicer over view, out of interest Pugwash do you know sine friel?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I'm in Cork but The Institute is THE place to go really. Everyone is talking about it, even down here. If you want something bad enough, go there and work your ass off. If you're going to to just because you want to skip 4th year and do nothing, there are plenty of free schools to do that in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

If you are willing to do work, you will do well

can be said for any school in the entire country....... No?

at the end of the day, its the same course for everyone, its not like you get some kinda of exemption.
    the leaving is not some OMG ITS IMPOSSIBLE exams. read your texts books.. everything you need is in there...

i think its hilarious, people in my year have gone to christmas revision course thingies, and also plannin to go at Easter, and tis so funny.. they think that going will save them.
    they think that the teachers there know so much more about any other techer in the country.. they seem to ignore the fact they have perfectly decent teachers in their own school...
    so yeah, the snob element of it all gets to me.

I dont see the point in going personally, but if you want to, go for it..

You couldnt pay me to go to a school who advertise about how great they are and how many high achievers they have, but then in small print at the bottom of the ad they have how they also cater for those aiming for C's and D's in Ordinary Level exams.
    Jee. How considerate of them.
    *sarcasmetre explodes*
    the fact they even mention that, and in such a manner says a lot i think...

but yeah, if it makes you happy, who's to stop you :)

good luck with whatever you choose!

but X TC X, why do you want to go?
    thats what you really have to ask yourself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Rockerette wrote:
    they think that the teachers there know so much more about any other techer in the country.

wel maybe you go to a school with a high standard of teaching but that isnt the case in all schools. In the top irish class in 5th year in my school the teacher regularly asks students to translate stuff for her. Sure they are fluent but they're doing her job. And she's is only one of many incompetent teachers in my school alone and i would consider the teaching to be of a high standard in comparison to others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

interesting thread. I went to the institute and had the same experience as many here - if you want to work, its all laid out for you, and if you don't, they don't make you at all. The Institute doesn't compete on a level playing ground as state schools, whether you like it or not. They have more money, so can provide more facilities like supervised study, tutorials, handouts etc. Thats not to say state schools are bad, but they can't compete as I say. FWIW, I came from a really strict school to the 'tute, and so I totally slacked off for the year. I did ok, but nowhere near as good as I could have done. Ten years on, I regret that. I'm in a job I love, but its taken me waaaay more work to get here, and now I really appreciate how hard my parents had to work to pay for me to go there, and I blew it.

By the way - if you told me when I was doing the leaving, that I'd be doing the job I'm doing now, I'd never have believed you. I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do at 16, 17, 18 and its taken me ages to figure it out. so don't freak out if you're in the same boat. I've gone from test engineer, to software developer, to tech support dude to technical trainer. tomorrow I'm off to new york for a week, and my job has taken me all over the world. When I was doing the lc, I didn't even know what a computer was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well basically the institute is brilliant if you're self-motivated. If you're not you can pretty much get away with not doing anything, and they don't care too much cause it's more of a business than a school. Someone I know went there for 5th + 6th year and got 10 points, I kid you not.

But if you are willing to work you get brilliant teachers there, and you can do extremley well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I would stay in the school your in now and have a laugh, people are way to serious into the study in the tute, like thats all they do. ****ING LOSERS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Personally, I believe that if you are willing to put the effort in, a private school is excellent to obtain high points. I think the whole snobbery thing is boll**. If you want the points, and can afford it theres no reason not to go. I changed from a public school ( which thought that h.dips and constant teacher changes-5 Irish teachers in one year for example) was good prep for the leaving and went to a private school which I love.Im far from loaded but my parents wanted me to be happy and confident coming up to the leaving and sacrificed so I could do this. The thought of them shelling out thousands is a great personal motivator and Id hate for it to be a waste. That said, a lot of the pupils in my school are just rich and happily spending their parents money ( and doing crap in exams) which is really annoying! My grades jumped and I felt more comfortable and confident in my study. I really think its down to the individual, some of my friends wouldnt dream of changing school. If you are not happy in a situation you can change, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

Rockerette wrote:

but X TC X, why do you want to go?
    thats what you really have to ask yourself..

I just think that like the teachers are more dedicated and that we've been told in school they only teach you what you need to know and not what you'll need to know for life. To be honest I'd rather just know what will help me score high in the exams, the rest I can pick up along the way.

Thank you for all your comments. They are much appreciated. Now I really want to go! The only thing swaying me is that I've always said I would hate to be in a mixed school, I like not having to decide what to wear every morning and it also takes roughly an hour to get there because of traffic through town. I'm quite friendly with most of my year but I wouldn't miss particular people if I were to leave, like they'd be easily replaced. This year's third years that are skipping TY and will be in my year next year, aren't the friendliest of people, ahem. Not being snobby or anything but they are people I would rather not be in the company of. My school would have a relatively good local name, you usually have to have your name down for about 8 years in advance to actually be accepted but over the last couple of years it has become fashionable to act in such repulsive manners and so third year is mostly that sort of people. Also, they have allowed people from foreign countries to attend. I'm not being racist I'm just wondering how they could have been accepted if they've only just moved to Ireland, they've hardly had their name on a list for ten years. Just realised this is turning into a rant on a totally different subject. Anywho, that's my reason and also that I want to do well and don't think I could do as well as I would in the Institute. Especially seeing as I'll be in the place that I have done no work in for the fur years previous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Firstly I'm in the institute at the moment. I can honestly say no regrets. My teachers are brilliant - I have a great relationship with all of them. I've made such good friends. I live about an hour away from d tute - you just get used to it. I had the same fears as you, sadly I left behind in my old school my bestest friends but I still see them every week and were always out! Oh I take it you are a girl? i dnt kno?anway I love being in a mixed school
    1.less bitchy (all girl schools are so bitchy!!)
    2.its natural - thats the way the real world is!!
    3. your in a boring class where the teacher is reading the text what can you do...make googly eyes with the hot boy across the way!
    The only thing is go if you know you hav your own motivation. Contrary to beleif many of my teachers do care - and in a class of 150 or a class of 30 the teacher makes the effort to know each students name case in point Tara Lyons or Orla. The freedom is great - just know your limits!oh and it can be a bit competetive but from what im hearing from my old school its the same story!!good luck with the decision. Oh and u sounded kinda resentful about foreigner coming to your school - no need to be stuck up.think outside the box - the institute will help u with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭model

Hold me back from saying that you putting forward such an ignorant and unfounded point, would suggest it would be necessary for you in fact to buy your education in order to fulfil the level of intelligence at which you feel you are at at the moment.

Now, I am currently in 5th year in a private South Dublin school. Unfortunately however, I havent done the work and am at a standard which I fully deserve in relation to the work I am doing. Ive all but registered for the 'Tute, as I see as the kind of enviroment that I could do most well in. B&L is what Im looking for so around 520 or higher is my aim.

Looks like Ill see ya there anyway, Ill be the guy you'll be staring and talking about with your mates. Why Im on a nerdy message board I dont know...

because u are a nerd!dnt be so pertentious and never assume.

d4gurl wrote:
    I can honestly say no regrets. My teachers are brilliant - I have a great relationship with all of them.

(you dont have to be the institute for that.....)

but yeah, dont worry about mixed schools, i'd go insane in an all girls school, cos well, girls piss me off..
    i spend more time with lads anyway, so i couldnt imagine not beign in a mixed school!

oh and model, in fairness Angry Banana's point is quite valid - you ultimatley are buying a good education no?
    i see it as neither ignorant or unfounded.

im in no position to judge, i go to a private school, i dont deny that for a second.
    but well.. i completely understand where he's coming from and your response was quite OTT i think.

perhaps he's touched a nerve with you :rolleyes:

i can understand people who really need like, 560+ points, they need all teh help they can get.

i read a few weeks ago somewhere about a girl who got 600 points, after going to the institute.
    what did she want to do?
    Journalism.
    460/470 points ish?

hhmmmm.

i could say some very mean things about those kind of people... but i wont..

one thing i will say though - get out more!
    why put yourself through the pain when you dont need to???!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

People in the institute do not buy their ****ing education. That is the most ****ing stupid thing i have ever heard. Their are hundreds of reasons people go there. Grades is just one of them. Its taking yourself out of an enviroment you have become comfortable in and trying something new. You get out what you put into it, no matter who is helping you. Its not about going to the tute and getting 600 points, ist about maturing as a person and achieving all that you can. So dont give me all that ****ing bull****, buying education ****.

hundreds of reasons?
    can i have.. say... 10 of those please?

• Advertisement

sersiouly though, in the instutute, where those.. wonderfully intelligent people come out with 600 points, are they not ultimatley buying a good education?

if they couldnt get in on other schools, they go to the institute no?
    and they pay to go there..
    come out with better grades than they thought they coudl get anywhere else...

ta-daaaa...

buying a good education.

as i said, i go to a private school, so im not someone who is generally oppossed to them..

just.. i dunno.
    meh.

Rockerette wrote:
    sersiouly though, in the instutute, where those.. wonderfully intelligent people come out with 600 points, are they not ultimatley buying a good education?

if they couldnt get in on other schools, they go to the institute no?
    and they pay to go there..
    come out with better grades than they thought they coudl get anywhere else...

ta-daaaa...

buying a good education.

as i said, i go to a private school, so im not someone who is generally oppossed to them..

just.. i dunno.
    meh.

I really don't get your point though like, what would be the difference in paying for a better education and doing well than not paying and not doing so well? Would it not make more sense?!

I paid for good teachers in my old school - did i get them no - most private schools fees are on paar with the institute - yet id say the greatest influx of students to d tute are private school kids.... I dont know where im going with this. I'll defend the place cuz I go there!blah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I think the hype around the LC and the institute is a big factor in people getting worked up around thinking about changing schools. Some people's schools are dire and since the institute has a big profile for several reasons lots of people consider it. In my opinion, if your current school is terrible and you have the motivation, or if you're repeating, the institute could be an option. If you're getting along fine where you are though I can't see why you'd make the change - it's the same leaving cert that everyone ends up doing, and you will miss out on many of the benefits of normal schools.

x_TC_x wrote:
    I really don't get your point though like, what would be the difference in paying for a better education and doing well than not paying and not doing so well? Would it not make more sense?!

that question really confused me... :confused:

i dont quite know what your asking... but what i said made sense in my head when i typed it ;)

sorry if im not making sense.. :o

but yup, i agree with Sean Mac completely.
    its not necessarily a bad thing buying your education, people buy much worse things in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it's an unfair advantage and yes it is buying grades.

as is going to revision courses, buying less stress books, getting grinds etc...

we're in a position to be able to afford these and live quite comfortably after paying for them. some kids don't have that kind of financial backing from parents to buy help.

therefore, they receive less information and less education. this results in low grades, which means lower paid jobs, which means less cash to inject into their offsprings future. it's a viscious circle, fuelled by cold hard cash.

imo, so long as you give more than you receive, there is nothing wrong with it. <<< thats brilliant by the way, just made that up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭astro

Rockerette wrote:
    (you dont have to be the institute for that.....)

perhaps he's touched a nerve with you :rolleyes:
    Perhaps this thread has touched a nerve with you, you seem to have big issues with the institute

what kind of nerve would it touch!?
    *laughs*

i go to a private school, so i coudlnt give a ****e really.

i just hate the reputation the institute has, and find it hilarious that people think its the key to solving all their leaving cert worries.

i also laugh at how serious most people take the Leaving Cert, and this is the perfect thread to laugh in...

plus im bored stupid, and the 24 forum is a bit dead the last few days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

It's a school. you wanna buy what you can get for free you need a head check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Se&#225 wrote: »
    You don't want to admit it but it is evidentally buying grades. It's obvious. It's undebatable. Buying a less stress book, or getting grinds, or buying even school books is BUYING GRADES! It's whether or not it does you good in the end.
    smemon wrote:
    it's an unfair advantage and yes it is buying grades.

as is going to revision courses, buying less stress books, getting grinds etc...

That's such a load of bs. The application is what gets you the results.

I could have bought and read five books, revision or otherwise, on Leaving Cert Maths. You think doing that alone would get me more points? Nonsense.
    Rockerette wrote:
    i just hate the reputation the institute has, and find it hilarious that people think its the key to solving all their leaving cert worries.

If you're content with your school, why should it matter to you? The fact that the Institute ends up with many high achievers year on year must mean they're doing something right, hence it's reputation.

Of course there are going to be a bunch of people that think that the Institute is some magic building that will automatically get them high points. This is illogical and not the Institute's problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement