Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Institute

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

Rockerette wrote:
    aaah stop being so pedantic Fraggle ;)

(but isnt annoying people fun...... :rolleyes: )

:D

just making the point, like

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I guess the quality of schools in Ireland can really vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

The institute does not enable you to buy grades, it certainly gives you a better chance in obtaining grades but it dosnt automatically ensure them. Now i know that everyone has a million and one personal examples, but here goes mine. Out of my friends in the institute only about 5 got over 500, a bunch got between 400-500 and a fighteningly large percentage of them ended up with under 300 and are currently in post leaving cert courses.

Some people here have commented that the institute will help you reach your potential, and yes given the materials, and the more conistent grade of teachers, many schools have some good teachers and some less good ones, the thing about the institute is that there is a consitency in the level of teaching, which means that the student does not have to compensate for poor teaching in any particular subject, but even with these things you will only reach your potential if you want to. Certain teachers make huge efforts to motivate their students, particularily in smaller classes, but this happens in all schools.

The institute in my opinion, sells itself as stricter than it relaly is. In the first few weeks of term there is a conserted effort to have open displays of the supposed stickness of the school but overtime this begins to lapse. I suppose they take the attitude that why should they waste the time on students who do not appear to have any desire to work given as they have already gotten the money from them. and in a cold business focused way this makes perfect sense, put the emphasis on those who are going to be the faces of next years advertising and sweep the rest under the carpet.

Do i think i would have gotten the grades i got if i hadn't have gone to the institute? Yes i do, well except in maths becuase my teacher in the institute was exceptional. I wanted to go the institute for reasons other than grades as i have said.

And Angry Banana i was buying my education anyway. The Institute is not the root of the social inequailty which exists within our society. It is merely a highly visible symbol of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭model

Totally agree with both of the above posts, but I must point teachers at private schools are paid by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

A mod has to lock this thread, people are just starting to repeat themselves.
    Stop being bitter bastards, people go to different schools (The Tute being one of these. Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

model wrote:
    but I must point teachers at private schools are paid by the state.

not all of them, as i explained somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

yep, this one has gone a bit too far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement