Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diving in Gran Canaria

• 23-03-2006 11:40pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭

Has anyone dived in Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria before?

Is it good & does anybody have any reccommendarions regarding Dive centres there?

Thanks in advance.

Benny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi,
    There is a dive Centre in Peurto Mogan based in the Hotel at the Marina which does offer boat dives..
    Just outside the harbour in Peurto Mogan are a couple of trawlers placed as an attraction for the tourist sub which comes out regularly from the Marina.
    Do go for a snorkle at the end of the beach in Mogan where the collapsed pier is, there are literally thousands of brown and yellow stripped blennies there.
    Theres another dive centre which operates from Amadores beach . Much of what they offer is just the beach dive there which isn't up to much but if you're with the family its nice to be able to slope off for an hour if even just watch the school of barracuda that hang off the end off the breakwater.
    Most of the diving I've done is with either of the two centres in Peurto Rico, one on each pier. Top diving have several boats and go twice a day to the better sites. Pasito Blanco is an offshore reef which is probably the best dive on offer. There is also an artificial reef and a Russian hydrofoil wreck just outside PR.
    For me though the best diving has to be shore diving in El Cabron marine park, the other dive centre in PR, Aquanauts go there most often as they don't have a boat and make do with a clapped out van. Marine life is excellent, I've seen cuttlefish, Octopus, Angel shark, large Ray and Morays, don't touch the fire worms.

Niall

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Thanks NJ :)

Benny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Just got back yesterday! I stayed in Puerto Rico, a few mins walk from Puerto de Mogan, but the vast majority of the dive centres (Davy Jones, Aquanauts etc) do their open water dives in El Cabron in Arinaga, loads of great life, though I didn't see any angel sharks (they are ten a penny down there). I did put my hand right on a black sea urchin though, 36 barbs, which "will need to be surgically excised" says the doctor. If it's ugly, don't touch it!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Just got back yesterday! I stayed in Puerto Rico, a few mins walk from Puerto de Mogan, but the vast majority of the dive centres (Davy Jones, Aquanauts etc) do their open water dives in El Cabron in Arinaga, loads of great life, though I didn't see any angel sharks (they are ten a penny down there). I did put my hand right on a black sea urchin though, 36 barbs, which "will need to be surgically excised" says the doctor. If it's ugly, don't touch it!

Thanks, booked the holiday anyway.

I believe that the only cure for sea urchin stings is vast quantities of a rare local brew called 'San Miguel', great for numbing the pain :D

Benny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dragongirl

Just got back from Puerto Rico diving with Aquanauts and had a great time.
    The company changed hands recently the new people are really nice. They must have replaced the clapped out van cos they had a 4x4 when we were there.
    The dives at Arinaga are brilliant, loads of things to see. We saw barracudas, morays, cuttlefish and loads of other stuff - fab time and totally recomend the diving and Aquanauts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Puerto Rico? As it Central America or is there more than one ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Evil Phil wrote:
    Puerto Rico? As it Central America or is there more than one ....

Yeah, there's one in Gran Canaria.

Did you know there's a dublin in Australia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

No I didn't know that, I did know that there's an Ireland in Texas of all places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Evil Phil wrote:
    No I didn't know that, I did know that there's an Ireland in Texas of all places.

There is also an island named Ireland off New Guinea/New Zeland/Australia (can't remember which). Named by Irish missionaries yonks ago. The native populaton are canibalistic and ate the Irish missionaries.

I don't know about the diving though, i look way to tasty to go there.

Advertisement