Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residence Assistants

Options
  • 24-03-2006 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Well, thats what I think it stands for. RA's anyway, does anyone know what exactly they must do. Does anybody know any and if so what type of ppl are they. Im just curious, if I were an RA, would I be able to get away with throwing parties (RAs live together)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Go to the office in Merville, Belgrove, Roebuck or Glenomena in the evening (after 5 I think) and talk to the current RAs. It's not an easy job (I know some of the current and former RAs), you need to be able to deal with some pretty serious stuff *-*. Also, ask Moss Garde what they look for in an RA, I know he'll be able to tell you the required criteria, but I'm not sure if Ciaran knows all about that yet, the guy is only new. Moss'll set you straight, tell you what you should research etc.

I can't remember the name of the guy in charge of the whole RA thing, but I can find out for you if you'd like, you could call him and see what the sca is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I was an RA in the Glen last year. Loved it and hated it at various times. I would do it again though.

Glen RAs have it easier than the other Res, but you need to be a resident in the Glen to be a Glen RA.

PM me if you have any questions. Goes for anyone else too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

UCD accomodation should be more like that in Maynooth, in my opinion. Ovens in Glenomena wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

think im goin to go for it this year cause ive lived on campus for three years and am prob goin to apply next year aswell, u get half price rent dont cha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

No ovens in new accomadation being built.

Students weren't cleaning them so they were becoming a health hazard and a fire risk.

TBH, you get used to not having one and a few people in the Glen bought a mini oven so it's not the end of the world.

As for rent you get free rent and elec for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

a few of my friends are RAs in belgrove this year.

Far as I can tell the job is either **** or great depending on your personality. If you're easy going and don't let things get to you, you probably won't mind it. If you get wound up easily or take things too seriously, you're not going to have the greatest time.

RAs get free accomodation and utilities. Far as i know its two shifts a week in belgrove and one weekend every couple of weeks. The shifts are 2 hours in the office and then there's like patrols, mail delivery and stuff. Also there's a phone which the on-duty RA has to hold onto overnight in case of emergencies (which can be as stupid as drunken student losing their keys at 4 am).

There's tricks and stuff to make your job easier; going to the gym while on duty etc, because your contactable and easily get back to res. If RAs are caught slacking though they tend to get fired pretty easily... that means losing your accomodation which is a pain in the ass.
    Im just curious, if I were an RA, would I be able to get away with throwing parties (RAs live together)

They tend to get away with small gatherings more easily than other residents. I know an RA who was at a huge party, complaints were called in, so he left the party, turned around, and then went in a broke it up.

Advertisement