Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

numbing cream

Options
  • 24-03-2006 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

hi

im 20 and i tattoo MAD!!!! i have 3 already and i want a lot more- my only problem is ive a very low pain threshold- i have heard some tattoists have a cream they put on you to numb your skin so theres no pain(my mate told me this as she was working in a tattoo parlour at the time)

Just wondering has anyone had this cream used on them and if so does it really work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

EMLA is one of them, you can get it through the BMEZINE shop, what's the point though, part of the tattoo is the pain, if you just want art go with henna.

I dont see the point of missing all the lovely endorphins, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Emla only lasts for about 25-30 minutes so its not very practical unless your getting a small tattoo. Theres a better cream called sustain where you have to break the skin first then rub it in and it lasts 4-6 hours which is more practical for a tattooing session.

edit: I just tried to google the cream and keep finding links to premature ejaculation creams, its not them. I'll get the link off my friends if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

If you do go with the EMLA cream it can be bought in Boots, or so my tatooist told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

edit: I just tried to google the cream and keep finding links to premature ejaculation creams, its not them. I'll get the link off my friends if you want it.

Yeah google remembers your previous searches and fixes results according to your preferences..............;)

....or something :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

Blub2k4 wrote:
    EMLA is one of them, you can get it through the BMEZINE shop, what's the point though, part of the tattoo is the pain, if you just want art go with henna.

I dont see the point of missing all the lovely endorphins, but each to their own.
    what? i cant stand pain ok( i know im ****ed when i give birth but anyway)
    but i love PERMANANT TATTOOS
    and i want to get 1 for my dad- have a mum 1 but want 1 4 my dad

I dont want henna

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

Emla only lasts for about 25-30 minutes so its not very practical unless your getting a small tattoo. Theres a better cream called sustain where you have to break the skin first then rub it in and it lasts 4-6 hours which is more practical for a tattooing session.

that sustain cream sounds good where could i get that in ireland- can it be gotten in boots??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I'm not sure where but i'll sk next time i see the girl who has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 akadro

Hi,

I live in Switzerland and soon I am going to have a huge tatoo on my back. My tatoo artiste told me that in US there is a cream called sustain that could help me for the pain if I ever need it. The issue is that it is not sold here in Switzerland. I was trying to find in over the web but only find premature ejaculation creams:confused: Then I found this thread. I know it's been sometime but if someone has a link or a picture of this Sustain cream that will be great,

thanks for your help & time,

dro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dnpixel

Elma is the one they use mostly here (Australia), the anesthetic can have a nasty effect on the healing process leaving white spots. It causes a thicker scab at times, also due to the anesthetic that causes the numbing effect. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055821683

Used a spray on the last tattoo I got, worked pretty well at times, no effect on the healing process and no side effects. The down side is you get called a little wimp and take flak in this forum.... you decide.

(details on this in the above thread)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

AMETOP gel does the trick. You apply it about 30 mins before, cover it with cling film and the skin stays numb for 2-3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Yall should man up and bear the pain. Its all part of getting a tattoo, if yu cant bear the pain you cant bear getting a tattoo so stick with non permanent ones.

Thats just my two pence anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Ametop and EMLA cream are the two creams I tend to suggest to people. I have heard no complaints from clients regarding healing of the tattooed area when using either creams. The only set back is you have to pay about 5 euro's for a ridiculously tiny tube, meaning for a large area you're looking at several tubes and it's just racking up expense where it shouldn't be due.

Cheap alternative? Bring a towel to bite on.

I don't see what the problem is if the OP wants to get something to ease the pain. Not everyone appreciates the adrenaline rush gotten from the pain of a tattoo/piercing. Not wanting that shouldn't dictate who should or shouldn't get a mod. Stop being so snobby, guys.
    Anyway, OP, one of my mates used that stuff the wizard recommended, said it was a lifesaver when she got a tattoo on her ribs. Not sure where you can get it, but if it eased a rib tattoo (and a big one at that) it must be pretty good.

No one is being a snob I don't think. I'm a tattooist and I'm sure several of the people who have commented on this thread are either tattooists themselves or relatively modified. I just feel that it is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a tiny tube of cream that will wear off quick enough. It doesn't take all the pain away either, so it's hardly worth the money.

I am a complete wimp when getting tattooed, yet I got through 4 hours of work on both sides of my ribcage 2 hours one day and 2 more the following day, without any numbing cream and it wasn't that bad at all.
    I think alot of it is down to your frame of mind and if you are gearing yourself up for a bit of pain you'll cope alot better than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

said it before and il say it again...Ametop and Emla are medicated numbing agents used for children/old ppl getting needle sticks or cannulas.... they work but also swell the area and cause some redness...ppl are often also frequently alergic to them...they have to be left on for half an hour before any needles and can make the skin quite greasy..also swelling, even if slight in any area where ur gettin a tat is not a good idea

it sounds good to have something numb and take away the pain ul feel....but if being tattooed for anything over an hour the creams are worn off anyway so ur still gonna feel pain

its also not being snobby but numbing tattoo pain is not these creams purpose

also...u have a reaction to any of these creams then the artist is breaking ur skin with the needle...then the area is covered in the tattoo...how can u pick or how can any1 know how treat that reaction?this is how skin infections start..

no offence to anyone but its a dangerous thing to be recommending medicated agents that ye know little or nothing about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

^ ^ ^ Very wise words!

I'd never mention it to any one of my customers without them hinting at it first. I would tell them the name, but tell them it would be best not to even bother with it. If they do go ahead and use it, I make sure there is absolutely NO TRACE of the cream left on this skin before I begin my tattoo work. You're ment to wash down the area that is being prepared for a tattoo thoroughly before tattooing anyway, so there would be no way the cream would still be on the skin's surface when the procedure started.

I don't know if that post of yours was aimed at me, or the person who is having side affects from using the cream, but there's my 2 cents.

its not aimed at any1! ur a tattoo artist so i assume u wud have an idea of it...im a nurse so im just saying in general that many of these things can have effects which ppl dont consider or know about so it aint wise to think they can be used so flippantly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the wizzard

I have over 10 years experience as a senior paramedic, so I am very aware of the side effects and containdications of some of the topical gels. The names of these are readily available in the public forums, so one can only assume, if people make an effort to find out the name and details of a product, that they also find out the best practice for using the product.Yes, I am only too aware that this doesn't always happen, but then as with anything, there will always be those people who just don't care about their clients welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kerryspirit

i have two tatoos and am also terrible with pains.. i used emla twice and it was ok for about an hour....for me it did the job.... otherwise i would have NOT two tattoos. i am going for another one again and use emla again...

Advertisement