Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'99 Audi A4 water in engine compartment problem

Options
  • 24-03-2006 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've noticed in my A4 that the compartment where the battery is located (in front of the windscreen) there is an accumulation of water, which is starting to leak into the passenger side of the car. Is there no drain hole of sort to prevent something like this? I am not sure where the water comes from (a suspect it's when it rains the water gets in there via the air intakes by the wipers)

Can anybody please give me some advise before I start drilling some holes? :)

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciaran007

There actually are some drain holes on either side of the compartment in the form of rubber grommets (or bungs) it's common for there drain holes to get clogged up with leaves and debris, especially if the vehicle is usually parked near trees etc. The cure is quite simple if a little messy, locate the drain holes ( from memory you may need to remove the battery to access one of the drains) and remove what ever debris is causing the blockage, the use of a screwdriver or similar tool may help things along, the water should then drain away as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Ciaran007 wrote:
    There actually are some drain holes on either side of the compartment in the form of rubber grommets (or bungs) it's common for there drain holes to get clogged up with leaves and debris, especially if the vehicle is usually parked near trees etc. The cure is quite simple if a little messy, locate the drain holes ( from memory you may need to remove the battery to access one of the drains) and remove what ever debris is causing the blockage, the use of a screwdriver or similar tool may help things along, the water should then drain away as normal.

You were right, that did the trick. Thanks. Unfortunately the rubber "grommet" flushed out before i could grab it and now is nowhere to be seen on the ground. (I guess it landed somewhere on the panel protecting the underside) Would it be safe just to leave it out like that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ikoonman wrote:
    You were right, that did the trick. Thanks. Unfortunately the rubber "grommet" flushed out before i could grab it and now is nowhere to be seen on the ground. (I guess it landed somewhere on the panel protecting the underside) Would it be safe just to leave it out like that?

Thanks
    Yes - it shouldn't make much difference so long as the water can escape. ou could order one from you local Audi dealer. I reckon it would be relatively inexpensive.

Advertisement