Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 203rd Merseyside Derby

• 24-03-2006 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Liverpools cup final is live on Sky PPV tomorrow kick off 12.45.

The team with most points since the new year and top of the form tables, Everton, should come away with an easy 3 points from their old ground.

Lump on at 5/1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Thats what i have on my prediction sheet. Thats not even my risky one, I have chelsea down for a draw at home against an out of form ManCity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

With all respect to Everton, Liverpool have turned a corner in the last few matches (since being knocked out of the Champions League). I reckon it will be a hard-fought game.

Liverpool to win 3-1, with Everton conceding the final goal, by overcommitting, trying to equalise late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This is my 1,000th post, most of them football!

So I hope its a lucky omen for Liverpool.

I predict:

Liverpool 2-0 Everton

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Liverpool have turned a corner in the last few matches (since being knocked out of the Champions League).

Beating Fulham (14th), Newcastle (12th) and Birmingham (18th)

Losing to Arsenal (5th)

Must have been a short corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As opposed to Beating Fulham (14th), Villa (15th)

Drawing with West Ham (10th)

And losing to Newcastle (12th)

Yes I see your point, everton are the form team alright :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Liverpool have scored 15 goals in the last 3 games, as opposed to (not entirely sure) probably on average between 1 and 1.5 goals per game in the previous 10.

That's a big motherfocking corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I hope for 6-0 to......................................................Everton

Was that a surprise to anyone? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Form is irrelevent, its a derby, anything can happen.

Big Nelly wrote:
    I hope for 6-0 to......................................................Everton

Was that a surprise to anyone? :D
    I won't say what I hope.

But rest assured, its not pretty.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Liverpool have scored 15 goals in the last 3 games, as opposed to (not entirely sure) probably on average between 1 and 1.5 goals per game in the previous 10.

That's a big motherfocking corner.

Agreed goalscoring-wise.

Both teams are scoring freely at present. Everton have scored 9 in their last 3.

This one's got 0-0 written all over it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

redspider wrote:
    This is my 1,000th post, most of them football!

So I hope its a lucky omen for Liverpool.

I predict:

Liverpool 2-0 Everton

redspider
    May the next 1,000 be as direct and to the point ;)

I don't see the game as a formality tomorrow. I'm delighted Liverpool have started to put the ball in the net but Everton have been scoring some tasty goals in the last few games too. Hopefully the early start doesn't impede what should be a cracking athmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

PHB wrote:
    Form is irrelevent, its a derby, anything can happen.
    Such was my thinking. I figured liverpool, will find it tough after such an easy ride over the past two games and everton will come out fighting. I've a feeling it'll be a great game, and i'm a neutral...well kid of;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

I'm heading over without a ticket. Gonna have to go to a tout. Any idea on prices I'll pay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its a derby so it will be tough.
    im gonna give it to liverpool though as they are better defensively and i feel will keep their nerve better then the toffees.
    i reckon 1-0, gerrard to score. there wont be more than 2 goals in this game definately.
    as for a starting XI for the pool:

Reina

-Finnan----Carragher--Hyypia----Riise-

-Gerrard---Alonso--Sissoko---Kewell-

Crouch----Morientes

thats if all fit and well... cant find any teams news for the match :/

typical display, the hard working finnan will allow gerrard to drift inwards without the danger being there and will help nullify the 4-5-1 everton will field. Sissoko's energy and stamina will help this greatly and with the long balls from alonso evertons midfield may be worn out.
    wouldnt surprise me to see kewell or riise dropped and warnock put in at left back. also wouldnt be surprised if sissoko was dropped and garcia put in on the right and gerrard back to the middle. wouldnt like to see that though... keep garcia on the bench as a "just in case" guy.. hes alot better at finding the net then the dreadfull cisse and unlike cisse, he can actually play on the right... sort of :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm predicting 8-4 to Everton, with Beattie to score a goal with his arse, Arteta to bang one in direct from a corner, Stubbs to score a bicycle kick, Hyypia to score an own goal etc...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4832776.stm

Only joking, I'm going with 2-0 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm predicting 8-4 to Everton, with Beattie to score a goal with his arse, Arteta to bang one in direct from a corner, Stubbs to score a bicycle kick, Hyypia to score an own goal etc...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4832776.stm

Only joking, I'm going with 2-0 Liverpool.

lol:D

i predict 2-1 to liverpool

Interesting, both Beattie and Gerrard will be wearing the number '08' tomorrow.
    BLUES MAKING HISTORY FOR '08

Everton will help make history tomorrow during the Merseyside derby.

Toffees striker James Beattie and Reds captain Steven Gerrard will become the first players in the English game to have their numbers specially altered for a professional match when the rivals meet at Anfield on Saturday.

The players both wear the number 8 for their sides, and have been given special permission by the FA Premier League to wear '08' on their match shirts to promote the new 08 Ambassadors Programme.

The clubs have joined forces for the programme, which has been created to enable people who love Liverpool to spread the word about the city and its role as European Capital of Culture 2008.

Signing up to be an 08 Ambassador, Beattie said: "Liverpool is a really vibrant city and there always seems to be something going on. Just by looking around the place you can see what a fantastic difference 2008 will make to the city."

Leader of Liverpool City Council, Councillor Warren Bradley, added: "The 08 shirts are a tremendous gesture of support for our 08 Ambassador programme. Both clubs have promoted the city around the world for more than a century and this latest act will be witnessed by an audience of millions.

"The derby is one of the highlights of the footballing calendar and this weekend’s match is one of the most important in recent years as both clubs push for European qualification. To see Steven Gerrard and James Beattie wearing '08' underlines that the whole city is united in supporting our plans to make 2008 a huge success."

Beattie is joined as an Ambassador by clubmates David Moyes, James Beattie, Alan Stubbs and Tony Hibbert.

Other Ambassadors include Gerrard, Rafa Benitez, Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher, as well as Liverpudlians Cherie Booth, Ken Dodd, Paul Sculthorpe, Gerry Marsden and Liz McClarnon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

1-0 to Liverpool. It'll be tight and scrappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Everton are playing better than earlier in the season, Its always going to be tight, and Everton have got some decent attacking players. I'd expect it to be scrappy.

Its extremely important Sissoko plays, before he was injured he was man of the match 2 games running, and was brilliant against Brum.

Liverpool 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

liverpool 4-1
    crouch 2 gerrard 1 fowler 1 (as a 2nd half sub)

beatie to get a late consolation goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I got a feeling we are going to hammer them, Everton have been going well lately but I think they are leaky at the back, watched them play Villa and even though they won 4-1, Villa always looked likely to score every time they went up the pitch, Beatte has been on form lately but I fancy Carragher and Hypia to take care of him. Rumour is Fowler is going to start and he always like's scoring against them, so I going with a 4-1 win, Fowler x 2, Gerrard and Crouch. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

would absolutely love to see a fowler hatrick!!! but i think 3-1 is a realistic result. everton can become very self-destructive if you push the right buttons.

rondeco wrote:
    I'm heading over without a ticket. Gonna have to go to a tout. Any idea on prices I'll pay?

Not less than > £80 going on previous ones.

Early kick off and rain might see you get one for better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

prediction 2-1 to liverpool.

though i think everton will score first, probably fairly early in the first half, as i think they will be well fired up, trying to put the reds in the place as such.

then i can see liverpool scoring fairly close together in the second half, as the better all round quality starts to count for something. that said i do rate everton and think they've majorly better than the start of the season.

hopefully a stevie g wonder goal and then (fingers crossed) fowler strike.

Everton from: Wright, Turner, Hibbert, Ferrari, Yobo, Weir, Stubbs, Naysmith, Pistone, Arteta, Cahill, Osman, Neville, Davies, Kilbane, McFadden, Beattie, Ferguson, Carsley, van der Meyde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fowler MUST play in this from the off.

Reina
    Finnan--Cara--Hypia--Riise
    Gerrard--Alonso--Sissoko-Kewell
    Fowler--Crouch

Subs - Dudek, Agger, Kronkamp, Hamman, Cisse, Morientes

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Think you are spot on with the team there Mike I suspect\hope Rafa will pick the same team but with Rafa you never know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I can see a scoring draw with this one.. Both teams starting to play well and coming off the back of two big wins each... 2-2 for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

Bluetonic wrote:
    Liverpools cup final is live on Sky PPV tomorrow kick off 12.45.

Gotta love the humour of Everton fans. I can smell the bitterness from here!

3-1 Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

if everton go at liverpool from the off instead of trying to play it cagey, which i think they will, it could wind up being a high scoring game with early goals. pool to shade it 3-2..... fowler grabbing the winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Bluetonic wrote:
    Not less than > £80 going on previous ones.

Early kick off and rain might see you get one for better value.

thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rondeco wrote:
    chances are you're gone over at this stage.....I'd be interested to see how much you do pay
    I got a ticket outside the ground the morning of the Spurs game in Jan for £70 and that took a huge effort from about 5 people scouring the bars the night before. I would say, anything between £150-£250 for this one....

3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If you get to read the this pm me a number to call you at.

14-1 liverpool win 3-1,nice odds

county wrote:
    14-1 liverpool win 3-1,nice odds

Not really. Everton haven't been conceding alot of late and Liverpool have just started scoring, albeit against very poor teams who don't have a defence as good as Everton's. That said, anything can happen, its a derby.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    Not really. Everton haven't been conceding alot of late and Liverpool have just started scoring, albeit against very poor teams who don't have a defence as good as Everton's. That said, anything can happen, its a derby.

well i`ve a ton on it so i am praying for a 3-1 win for the pool

Heres the line up and my formation

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Riise
    Garcia-Alonso-Sissoko-Kewell
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Subs - Dudek, Kromkamp, Morientes, Fowler, Warnock

I'm sure Luis Garcia and Gerrard will swap about during the game.

Mike.

Its gona be a tough test for Liverpools strikers. They've been getting easy enough defenses to play, but now they have to prove their worth against a team not leaking goals. This will be a big test for them.

Everton line up

Wright Hibbert Weir Stubbs Naysmith Osman Cahill Neville Kilbane Mcfadden
    Beattie

Subs Turner Yobo Davies Ferguson VDM

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Heres the line up and my formation

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Riise
    Garcia-Alonso-Sissoko-Kewell
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Subs - Dudek, Kromkamp, Morientes, Fowler, Warnock

I'm sure Luis Garcia and Gerrard will swap about during the game.

Mike.

No place for Cisse or is he suspended?

• Advertisement

Just not part of the plan....I'd have picked him ahead of Mori

Mike.

Stunning! Kilbane dives and Gerrard is sent off.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Gerrard you twat...........

Listening to the commentary on the Pool website, Phil Neal going nuts, you'd reckon he was in the pub with his mates the way he's raving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Kilbane didnt dive

How in the hell is that a dive?
    Gerrard was just stupid there:

1st yellow: complained about a definite foul against Kilbane by Alonso by kicking the ball away
    2nd yellow: dangerous tackle which would always get a yellow unless you win the ball.

Everton have already looked the better team, so this game could get very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Commentators just said the first Yellow was for kicking the ball away............if so he is just plain stupid...........especially in a Derby game

I'm reyling on radio commentary. The first yellow was stupid.

Mike.

When you see it on the tv later you will agree it was not a dive by Kilbane

It was stupid by gerrard, he knows as well as anybody kicking the ball away is a yellow, and so it should be, its time wasting.

Why was Gerrard wearing 08 as his shirt number, and just noticed Beattie is as well???????????

This may have been mentioned before but i did not hear anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement