Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber not appearing - Suggestions

Options
  • 24-03-2006 11:19am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

We are at a stage now for plumbing up baths and sanitary ware. The plumber who did all the first fix was rang last yesterday( thursday) 3 weeks to do the job.
    I was told it would be the following week he would come.
    I waited for him to appear that week and no sign, rang him then on the Monday, he claimed he was sick but would have someone there for the Wed r Thursday.
    No sign, I started ringing him again Friday - six calls, no answer.
    I rang him Monday, rang out.
    I rang him Thursday, rang out, I rang him again this morning, no answer.

So what the hell am I going to do with this guy, we have not switched on the water, the pressure pump has not been switched on and all sanitary ware needs to be fitted. IF there is an issue I then need him to fix the problem.

So what do ye suggest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

get another plumber, but before you do leave a message on his voicemail or send him a text saying that if no reply within 4 hours you'll be getting another plumber and whatever money owed to him will be reduced by the cost of the inconvenience to you.

Only way to handle these guys is ring his phone constantly, I'm talking 40 or 50 times here, eventually he'll be so pissed he'll answer it. When he does you tell him you're the one going to do the talking, you don't want to hear his excuses because you don't believe them and does he really think by not answering the phone you're going to go away? Chances are he'll tell you where to stick it but you need to be prepared to replace him either way and at least this way you'll have given him a piece of your mind and if he walks away you're in a stonger position to increase the reduction in amount owed.

After the way this guy has treated you why would you want to give him even more of your hard-earned cash? There's plenty more plumbers out there. Next time agree a completion date and tell him you want advance notice if he is not going to meet that date.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I understand what you are saying Frank, BUT if there are problems the new plumber will not be willing to take them on board and I am up the sh*t creek!

The total job was going to cost 5200 euro (Cash of course!!) @ this stage what they have done is all first fix.
    The water tank is plumbed up in the attic, 3 bathrooms plumbed up, sink and utility is plumbed, dishwasher plumbed.

The pump is plumbed up but not switched on.

All that has to be done is water switched on to fill the tank and have water circulating the house.
    The 3 toilets have to have the sanitary ware plumbed up.
    I have paid this guy 3k already.

get another plumber in to look at whats left - he should be able to fix it up if there are a few problems. If all that's left to do is turn on pump and hook up some sanitaryware you should get that done for significantly less than 2,200 which is the balance you would be paying the first fella, and I wouldn't give the first guy another penny.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well fup me, I just got a call from the twit! He is above in Mater hospital with a damaged shoulder! Umm, hard to know if I believe him or not, poor way to run a business!!
    HE reckons next Tuesday

that's a good one! Doesn't explain why he or one of his employees didn't call, but if he does come Tuesday you'll probably just go with it, though I wouldn't let him off the hook and would look for a reduction due to inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

He read Frank's posts and got worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Hey Yop having the same problem and paying a lot more money than you! Then when they did come they did feck all. I already told the boss that I wanted a discount and he told me know way. He also told me if I wanted to fall out with him say so. Very unprofessional but I know that nobody will take over from him at this stage. I'm just staying pretty quiet and saving up all my anger for the final cheque payment!! These guys know that they have us over a barrell.

Advertisement