Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not taking part in residents associations.

Options
  • 24-03-2006 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would like your opinions on something if possible.
    A friend of mine moved into his new house a couple of years ago. Great deal, lovely house, lovely area, no complaints.
    However, the local residents are not the nicest of people. Rarely even wave or acknowledge him or his family, at Christmas, he sent cards to all the neighbours, but they never returned one (for two years running). This is fine, and I personally think its good to have neighbours that dont try to live in your ear. Before anyone asks, he's a quiet guy, decent, respectable and a good neighbour.
    Lately, little notes come through the letterbox now and again concerning the local residents assoc. (its a specific one for the estate). The last one had a big line of bold text saying that an urgent part of the agenda was to try and "make more people attend the meetings" Due to above mentioned reasons, he nor his family attend.
    Just last week, he got a note through the door saying there is an AGM for the Residents Assoc at such a time and such a location. It actually said on it
    "be there at 9pm sharp" as if its a legal requirement. My own first response to this was "go f*ck yourself"
    What in your opinions is people requirements as to residents associations? Should people be obliged to attend these meetings? The annual area maintenance fee is paid no problem, but both my friend and I fail to see the need to give up an evening to listen to a group of people you dont like (and who dont like you) talking about the urgency of Mrs O Brien cutting her overgrowing trees a bit, or the obligation on someone to paint a wall to improve the "ambience" of the area. From the minutes they provide it looks like a congregation of busy bodies getting together to complain about their neighbours.
    I'd love to hear your opinions on people's obligations (or not) towards local residents associations. thanks for reading.
    [edit: the area is a small town in County Meath, app 40 miles from Dublin]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

a few years back the RA in my estate started asking people to attend more...you get it in all estates & developments.
    There are always the few that have nothing better to do than go to these meetings.
    As long as he pays his annual maintenance fees, he's doing his bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

No one has to attend. But the I don't believe you have any rights to complain if you don't like the decisions made. So I hope they don't decide that the estate would look better painted blue!

Advertisement