Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet are like all the others

• 24-03-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

I read a few posts on magnet and they seemed to be ok, I went for the full package including tv, BB and phone.

I was told that the full package would be available in 3 months but i could have a 2meg BB now, thats ok nby me so i signed up, I emailed one of the sales staff to make sure they had my application and got a reply that i should be up and running in 7 days, a guessed 10 would be more like it but was happy so far.

10 days later I called and asked why I had not heard from them, they said that it was with Eircom and they were dragging their heels with it. Sounded like eircom so i waited a couple more days and called again, after waiting on the phone for 15 minutes whilst she checked with provisioning I was told again Eircom were being very slow.

2 days later I called again and this time after a 5 minute wait a happy support girl came back to me and said I would be happy to know that my application was going from provisioning to eircom today and I should have my connection in up to 10 days.

at this point I got slightly annoyed and asked for an explaination, none was given. I sent an email off to every name i could find in magnet and got a call back saying they were very sorry and i would get a credit of 29 euro off my first bill Woo Hoo 29 euro that will make me happy to wait 10 more days.

If any of the others were any better I would tell them to feck off and go else where, if ntl were in the area i would tell them to feck off and go ntl but in typical Irish ways I will bend over and take it up the pipe cos there is feck all I can do or can be bothered to do.

Hope the service is better when i eventually get it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DnaDog wrote:
    10 days later I called and asked why I had not heard from them, they said that it was with Eircom and they were dragging their heels with it.

Thats the simple truth, Magnet are completely at the mercy of Eircom when eircom decide to 'lose' things or Pat is sick or Mick is in training all this week or someone lost the keys to the exchange but we found them and he is gone home because his greyhound is sick and suddenly had pups while he was at home too ....pick any or every excuse from Eircom you can imagine .

Why not complain to eircom who are holding things up instead of moaning at us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The point of his message was that Magnet had not sent his details to Eircom despite claiming to have done so for two weeks.

By the way, this 2Mbps service is as far as I know a bitstream service as the complete package requires the LLU-ing of the exchange. So by signing up for a bitstream service, if that's what it is, you have ensured that the switchover to Magnet's complete package will be as painful as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭DnaDog

Blaster99 wrote:
    The point of his message was that Magnet had not sent his details to Eircom despite claiming to have done so for two weeks.

By the way, this 2Mbps service is as far as I know a bitstream service as the complete package requires the LLU-ing of the exchange. So by signing up for a bitstream service, if that's what it is, you have ensured that the switchover to Magnet's complete package will be as painful as possible.

the whatty what what

can you explain as I am lost on what you mean but am interested in what you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you're blaming Magnet for something that has happened and is happening to most DSL connection providers in Ireland, then you should sit-back and take stock of the wider situation. Nothing ever works as it should.
    As a result of Fianna Fáil's failure to protect a national resource (our telecomms network) and instead selling it back to the taxpayer to generate some slush cash, eircom are sitting like pigs at the top of the shit pile and are free to fux0r the competition - as is happening with your line provisioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You are getting broadband from Magnet, but it's just eircom broadband being re-sold by Magnet. When Magnet unbundle your exchange, eircom will drag their heals no end in switching your line from them to Magnet. There'll be down time and possibly number changes involved too.

I think that's what Blaster means anyway. Unbundling a line that has already got BB on it is a pain.

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    If you're blaming Magnet for something that has happened and is happening to most DSL connection providers in Ireland, then you should sit-back and take stock of the wider situation. Nothing ever works as it should.
    As a result of Fianna Fáil's failure to protect a national resource (our telecomms network) and instead selling it back to the taxpayer to generate some slush cash, eircom are sitting like pigs at the top of the shit pile.

my complaint was not against eircom, but magnet for telling lies and bull****ting me.

jor el wrote:
    You are getting broadband from Magnet, but it's just eircom broadband being re-sold by Magnet. When Magnet unbundle your exchange, eircom will drag their heals no end in switching your line from them to Magnet. There'll be down time and possibly number changes involved too.

I think that's what Blaster means anyway. Unbundling a line that has already got BB on it is a pain.

There is no BB at the moment and its a new line so number changes etc will be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Objective observation: You're an eejit.

SyxPak wrote:
    Objective observation: You're an eejit.

and why would that be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

DnaDog wrote:
    There is no BB at the moment and its a new line so number changes etc will be no problem

You have a phone number now and you will get Magnet's bitstream broadband now. In order to get Magnet's complete package, when it is available, you will need to (a) disconnect the broadband (b) wait for about a month for eircom to patch your phone line into Magnet's equipment and during this time you will have no broadband (c) get a new phone number because eircom are muppets.

The pain that you're experiencing now is nothing in comparison to this. Just to set the expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

DnaDog wrote:
    and why would that be ?

Because you completely ignored/misunderstood what he said.

This is EIRCOM'S fault. Magnet can't make the eejits at eircom do the work for them any faster. Eircom delay the orders for EVERY ISP other than themselves.

Magnet sound blameless in the whole thing if you ask me.

Because you completely ignored/misunderstood what he said.

This is EIRCOM'S fault. Magnet can't make the eejits at eircom do the work for them any faster. Eircom delay the orders for EVERY ISP other than themselves.

Magnet sound blameless in the whole thing if you ask me.

And your both Bigger fools for not reading what i was saying.

Magnet we blaming eircom for a few days and then came clean and told me they had were only just sending the req to Eircom.

So eircom did not even have the request when magent were blaming them.

Do you understand now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Just sending it or re-sending it?

I would be more inclined to think the latter given the experiences I, and others, have had with eircom...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

WizZard wrote:
    Just sending it or re-sending it?

I would be more inclined to think the latter given the experiences I, and others, have had with eircom...

While Eircom are far from being blameless overall I also think they are an easy 'blame' for isp staff when they f*** themselves. It is very easy to tell someone over the phone oh its Eircom's fault when the customer has absolutely no way of knowing exactly what the postion is. I think it has become a reflex to blame Eircom for everything - just look how people in this thread did not read the original post correctly and were only too happy to jump on Eircom.

I recently had a UTV person try to blame Eircom when UTV charged me for a month's line rental which I was not due to pay and this had absolutley nothing to do with Eircom. Also for a long time UTV were very happy to blame all their problems on their mysterious 'provider' which they never clarified was not Eircom - with the result that everyone was happy to believe that Eircom were trying to shaft UTV - something which latterly UTV have seemingly been happy to do to themselves without any help from Eircom!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What dub45 said.

UTV used regularly blame "our upstream provider". BT blamed eircom for being slow in my transfer but yet they themselves are slow in internal processing. eircom is the big boogy man and at this stage CS support staff will blame them as they expect that we'll all go "oh, typical eircom".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

similar experience here... yeah they are like all the others basically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

While the slowness of eircom is a factor in changing from one ISP to another, I have to say that there is a serious amount of bull**** artists working in the magnet call centre. Some of the more irritating things i found when moving to magnet was their refusal to give me an estimated arrival time for the currier with the equipment, and when a phone number for the currier was requested so such a time could be arranged, it was refused. Being without a landline of any discription for nearly three days was also an annoyance. whoever ported my number over at the exchange ****ed up so none of the equipment worked. They really should have people located in the area if things go wrong. someone had to come down from Dublin today to fix something silly at the exchange. that is just daft. now its all set up and the set top box has no sound and half the channels i signed up for are blocked.

8700 kbps though, so not all is bad.
    Why not complain to eircom who are holding things up instead of moaning at us.

Every time I called eircom they gave me a different number to ring. I ended up pestering eircom wholesale (1800656656) until my line was moved over. My changeover to magnet took two and a bit weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sepix

Ordered Smart broadband over 2 months ago now, I didnt have bb from before so didnt have to change any numbers or anything. I have been ringing them once a week until 1,5 week ago when they said that Eircom has set a date when the line will be active and that would be the 28th of March.

Rang Smart this morning and they told me that they are going to contact Eircom right away to see what the delay is. Rang them a few hours later and they said that the line went active last week and broadband will arrive early next week(!!!). Rang a third time and was given a 3rd version.. demanded to talk to a manager who will now contact me on Tuesday and that everything should be sorted by then. Hahahahahah

They are just full bull****

An Update.

I finally gave up with magnet and cancelled the order, I was told on the 22nd that the order was in and it would be 10 days, I called again and was told eircom are blocking the transfer, they sent me a screen print to prove it and I was amazed that the order entry and request date was the 31st March and the required by date was 18th April.

I asked about this and the service rep played dumb. So i cancelled.

I went to digiweb made an order, check with them a day later and the order has been put into eircom, who have authorized it and I will have my gear/bb next week.

Magnet a re a bunch of lying cheating low life ****e and I hope they dont last long in the BB market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

DnaDog wrote:
    An Update.

I finally gave up with magnet and cancelled the order, I was told on the 22nd that the order was in and it would be 10 days, I called again and was told eircom are blocking the transfer, they sent me a screen print to prove it and I was amazed that the order entry and request date was the 31st March and the required by date was 18th April.

I asked about this and the service rep played dumb. So i cancelled.

I went to digiweb made an order, check with them a day later and the order has been put into eircom, who have authorized it and I will have my gear/bb next week.

Magnet a re a bunch of lying cheating low life ****e and I hope they dont last long in the BB market.

So Magnet mesed up or took their time processing the order (or Eircom lost it) and they had to re-submit. So the date of the 22nd changed to the 31st. So what big deal, is there any Irish ISP that's fast with the paperwork?

With weekends and holidays 10 full working days from 31st March would indeed be 18th April.

Eircom will process the digiweb order faster as it doesn't require unbundelling the line. Digiweb are a bistream reseller. i.e you will get Eircom broadband, but with a Digiweb label on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

So Magnet mesed up or took their time processing the order (or Eircom lost it) and they had to re-submit. So the date of the 22nd changed to the 31st. So what big deal, is there any Irish ISP that's fast with the paperwork?

With weekends and holidays 10 full working days from 31st March would indeed be 18th April.

Eircom will process the digiweb order faster as it doesn't require unbundelling the line. Digiweb are a bistream reseller. i.e you will get Eircom broadband, but with a Digiweb label on it.

Err...not quite - you get the eircom access path but IP transit etc is controlled by the bitstream operator :) Just FYI, dont mean to be picky!

Advertisement