Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My teeth are stuck

• 24-03-2006 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

I dont know if this is the correct place to post. If not feel free to remove it.

I had this dream last night. Its a dream i've had before. In the dream my teeth are pressing really hard together. They are stuck and I cannot seperate them. They keep getting tighter and tighter. Eventually they get so tight that they break/fallout.

Have any of you got any idea what this dream is about. Is there some meaning behing it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Do you ever get any 'flash' images of you falling over and smashing/damaging your teeth? Nobody wants this to happen, but some people are particularly phobic having their teeth broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

You might be grinding your teeth in your sleep. Its a common thing and you wouldnt realise you're doing it. Could be your minds way of telling you to get a checkup? A trip to the dentist might clear up any worries you have about your teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭CoolGuy2006

hey Chris, i just wanted to let you know, i experience the exact same thing regularly. Sometimes i have dreams my teeth are falling out because there is so much pressure

My girlfriend also has to wear a gumshiled type thing while asleep because her jaw stiffens up and she grinds her teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Do you ever get any 'flash' images of you falling over and smashing/damaging your teeth? Nobody wants this to happen, but some people are particularly phobic having their teeth broken.

Some people interperet this as a supressed conscious fear of vunerability or a fear of being unable to defend one's self.

Going back into the mysts of time, as animals, our teeth were our primary defensive weapon and many Jungians see 'teeth' as being a symbol of the subconscious that represents our ability to defend ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think dreams only portray psycological problems if they are continuous and recurring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

I remember reading that teeth falling out is something to do with anxiety over appearance or just in general and is a very common dream. As for the tightening you could be experiencing bruxism (or sleep teeth-grinding), It's not uncommon either. The tightening of the teeth in the dream could just be a manifestation of this. Teeth in dreams are a psychological standard, you should get plenty of results from a google search. I think it's important also what teeth fall out. If it's your front ones I think it's more likely to be about appearance or something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

legologic wrote:
    I remember reading that teeth falling out is something to do with anxiety over appearance
    Yeah, I've heard this too. Teeth falling out reflects fear of becoming ugly???

However, dream interpretation implies that dreams always mean the same thing for everone which in turn implies a shared conciouness, which I don't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Some people interperet this as a supressed conscious fear of vunerability or a fear of being unable to defend one's self.

Going back into the mysts of time, as animals, our teeth were our primary defensive weapon and many Jungians see 'teeth' as being a symbol of the subconscious that represents our ability to defend ourselves.

Early Homo Sapien Sapiens using teeth as our primary defensive weapon? This is problematic. There is literature to suggest otherwise. In a review of studies, Robert Ardrey in The Territorial Imperative concludes that one of the incentives for the invention and evolution of weaponry came from the fact that our teeth were greatly inferior, when compared to other animals. Further, Henry G. Bieler, M.D., noted that, although omnivores, only about 10 percent of our teeth were considered canines, with 90 percent more suited to grinding and not tearing. Compare our teeth to the feline family and note how many of their teeth are dedicated to tearing. These positions concur with what L.S.B. Leakey found in the teeth of Australopithicus Africanus, and the later discovery of Lucy by Richard Leakey (i.e., early ancestors to Homo Sapien Sapiens of a million or more years ago).

Just for fun, picture yourself going up against a sabre tooth tiger of a few thousand years ago, or the more contemporary timber wolf, with your choppers. Who do you think will be dinner?

Of course, there is one professional boxer in the USA who thinks otherwise, using his teeth to tear off an opponent's ear (excuse the humour).:rolleyes:

As others have suggested in this thread, it would seem more plausible that grinding teeth at night, for whatever reason people do this, might suggest the dreams that relate to teeth, but I have not encountered any literature to support of refute such a position.

P.S. D x 2 + J: Beware the "Hat!":p

Advertisement