Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Way Satellite Broadband

• 24-03-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this topic covered in any detail on the boards (apologies if it has been) and I think this info may be of use to anyone considering one way satellite.

There are two completely different systems on offer from various suppliers :-

Internal satellite receiver/modem, where the modem software runs on the PC. This is cheaper initially and can be self installed (if you can find the satellite) but can only be networked on a peer to peer basis using Internet Connection Sharing and the connection has to be controlled from the host PC (also doesn't run on Macs)

External satellite receiver/modem, which connects to the PC via a standard Ethernet cable. The installation costs a lot more, you have to buy the modem box (Forsway) and have an installer do the dish setup. However, the modem can be networked through a router (wired or wireless) and each PC (or Mac) controls the connection via the Web browser.

I have tried both systems and find the external version to be far superior. I had endless trouble with the software on the internal system, PC wouldn't shut down, Windows Update wouldn't work, various software conflicts and no help from the support dept. In the end I gave it up.

Both types work quite well, the latency problem is not as bad as two way satellite and if you can't get any other broadband, one way is quite acceptable.

Advertisement