Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a tag to stop dog running out gate

Options
  • 24-03-2006 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much a tag wud cost to put on the dog so it gets a shock if it crosses the gateway.

I have a friend who wants one they have had a few dogs and each one unfortunately has run out onto the road and has been killed they love dogs and have recently bought a pup which will be kept inside but they are nervous of it running onto the road again.

I know these can be expensive is there anywhere you could get them 2nd hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We used to have one of these radio fences (until we could afford to put up a *proper* fence)

Not a bad system ...but unfortunately not totally realiable either. Sometimes the loop gets broken, the wire can get torn, the battery run out, the setting change ...all without you noticing immediately

But even if the system is fully operational, nothing really keeps the dog from crossing anyway, if the impulse it follows is strong enough.
    Clever dogs soon find out that the shock isn't nice, but bearable nonetheless if the reward at the other end is big enough. And then you have to start the training all over again until he escapes the next time.

Especially at a road front gate there are far to many strong distractions luring the dog outside that I wouldn't fully trust the system.

The safest option for your friends would still be a dog proof gate and fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

the obvious (to me anyways) answer is to ensure the garden is enclosed (a high wall / fence) and that the dog cannot get out rather than using a system which shocks gives a dog an electric shock.
    Dogs Trust are a very highly thought of welfare group who work with dogs in the UK - the link below is to an article on their website about shock collars & their use.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/poppysopinions/shockcollars/

Advertisement