Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply for 7800GS?

Options
  • 24-03-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭

As some of you no doubt know by now I am contemplating getting a 7800GS to breathe some life into my AGP system but a thought just occurred to me my current pc is a Dell 8300 with a power supply of 305W is this enough power for a 7800GS? At the moment, it is running a 9800XT 256mb without any trouble but the 7800GS recommends a Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply would this be a problem for me????

On a related issue on the komplett site there are a few different 7800GS' from the Club3D GeForce 7800GS for €289 to the Gainward GeForce 7800GS for €327.99 what's the deal with the 40euro price difference between the 2 is it just for extra over clocking??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You should be able to get away with the current PSU as long as you have a single hard drive and DVD drive, the PSU will not be under too much strain and and keep the GPU happy. Of course thats assuming Dell's PSU isnt a total pile of sh*t.

The only difference in regards price is some are overclocked out of the box versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭jones

Thanks 8T8 its a pain trying to decide what to do with my limited money!! there so many good games coming out now i want to get the best bang for buck!! i was guessing that the 305watt should be enough alright...hopefully space isnt an issue with the 7800GS better look that up!! my next pc will NOT be a Dell i can tell you that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have that card and i was thinking the same. Had a 380watt antec in it but changed it out for my 600watt as in sig. But i run 4 Hdd's and i OC everything on the machine. All my pci ports are full and was thinking this machine might need a better PSU.

Advertisement