Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Link between Computer game Violence and Real Life

Options
  • 24-03-2006 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was just curious if anyone could shed some light on the following topic as I am
    researching this topic for a friend.

How connected is real life violence linked with video game violence?

How have computer games such as Manhunt, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Grand Theft Auto, and the likes effected the society in which they are played?

Computer games are quite rightly moderated with an age ratings system, but this a relevantly new phenomenon considering that ratings for films has been established for alot longer. Games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter would have pre-dated these ratings and would have been made available to youngsters.

Should the producers of these games have a moral obligation to moderate there games or should they continue to produce these games so they can make a living from the potential profits made?

Or, should the computer makers i.e. Microsoft, Playstation, that allow these violent games to be played step in to demand some form of action? Considering that for the lunch of the latest Playstation portable console was involved in a guerilla advertising campaign involving graffiti advertising of their product.

Or is it simply a case that people are free to buy whatever games they like, just like they can watch any film they want, and be fully aware of their actions and consequences that may result?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Altho i have wanted to i have yet to perform a headshot or fatality on anyone ever and have been playing games for years.

There are crazy people who will do crazy things, blaming the lack of whats right and whats wrong in their heads on a videogame is scapegoating. Mostly done by parents who failt to control/teach their kids and feel the need to blame anything that society hasnt accepted.

My son broke several dishes last night by kicking the babys ball, he said he didnt mean it. Should i blame Man Utd for showing him how to kick a ball, Pats for showing him how to kick it badly or Mario Smash football????

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

KdjaC wrote:
    Should i blame Man Utd for showing him how to kick a ball, Pats for showing him how to kick it badly

kdjac

LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I started playing Doom when it first appeared all those years ago and I think I'm a well adjusted, normal-ish person:D
    Should the producers of these games have a moral obligation to moderate there games or should they continue to produce these games so they can make a living from the potential profits made?

Or, should the computer makers i.e. Microsoft, Playstation, that allow these violent games to be played step in to demand some form of action? Considering that for the lunch of the latest Playstation portable console was involved in a guerilla advertising campaign involving graffiti advertising of their product.

Neither should be responsibel for what games children get to play as its up to the parents to do this job.

As for the advertising campaign involving graffiti i wouldnt support that and if a connection was found between said company and the adds. Well then action should be taken to ensure that such disregarde for the law is payed for.
    How connected is real life violence linked with video game violence?
    I dont think their is any really connection between the two, as KdjaC said
    There are crazy people who will do crazy things, blaming the lack of whats right and whats wrong in their heads on a videogame is scapegoating. Mostly done by parents who failt to control/teach their kids and feel the need to blame anything that society hasnt accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Games have age ratings for a reason.

Oh and I'm yet to turn violent, despite all those years of Football Manager/Champ Man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

During the 90's, and probably in todays society even more so, there is a trench coat syle mafia alive in the youth through the influences of music.

Considering this, and trying to remain on the topic of computer game violence, would there be a major difference in the various forms of social influences such as music, film, and computer games?

Regarding the Guerilla advertising:
    http://citypaper.net/articles/2006-01-12/naked.shtml

It may be illegal, but the damage would have been done by the time they were removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Jack Thompson and sh1tty parents blame violence on games because they can't admit that their little darling is a f**kup because of them, not the games he (and millions of other well adjusted people) play.
    Its the same crap that's been done for years. Pick a scapegoat:

rock music (OOO DEVIL MUSIC)
    videos
    comics
    tv
    games

Stephen wrote:
    Jack Thompson and sh1tty parents blame violence on games because they can't admit that their little darling is a f**kup because of them, not the games he (and millions of other well adjusted people) play.
    Its the same crap that's been done for years. Pick a scapegoat:

rock music (OOO DEVIL MUSIC)
    videos
    comics
    tv
    games

Who's Jack Thompson??? Any links to back this up?

d-arke wrote:
    During the 90's, and probably in todays society even more so, there is a trench coat syle mafia alive in the youth through the influences of music.

Considering this, and trying to remain on the topic of computer game violence, would there be a major difference in the various forms of social influences such as music, film, and computer games?

Regarding the Guerilla advertising:
    http://citypaper.net/articles/2006-01-12/naked.shtml

It may be illegal, but the damage would have been done by the time they were removed.

I seriously doubt music inspires any (normal) person to go out and kill...

Violent imagery is not uncommon in modern society, it can be found in TV, films and of course, video games. But let's be honest, which is more likely to desensitize you, Saw, or GTA? One's little better than a cartoon, the other a film...

Violence perpetrated by 'gamers' is not caused by gaming, it's caused by the person, and their own individual personality. There's been violence before videogames, before rock music, and before TV. Scapegoating's the resort of the blind half-wits who cannot acknowledge their own inherent failings, mar shampla, the parents groups in the USA who blame rock music and games for problems, ignoring a rampant and pervasive gun culture, that glorifies both militarism and violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Google his name - he's in infamous american lawyer that's got a chip on his shoulder about games.

Actually, here's the very informative wikipedia article on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

(basically, he's a ****ing nutter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

d-arke wrote:
    Who's Jack Thompson??? Any links to back this up?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

Enjoy the mentalness.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do a google search for jack thompson or a search on any big videogame site and you will get enough info on him. He is an ultra conservative lawyer from america who has a vendetta against videogames and before that he was campaigning against rap music. He makes some very silly arguments that are never backed up fully if at all and has had the honour of being banned from practicing law in his home state of Florida.

Videogame ratings may not have been around until the middle of the 16bit era but if developers were releasing a violent videogame they would have the sense to get the BBFC or other ratings body to rate the videogame. Mortal Kombat had a big 15's rating on it, and despite what you may think Street Fighter 2 is less violent than your average 10 year old's boxing match.

I think the people who blame viseogames on violence should play the videogames Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Suikoden 2 amoung others. They might learn something since those games are about the people taking responsibility for their actions instead of blaming others and running away from the problems.

Violent imagery is not uncommon in modern society, it can be found in TV, films and of course, video games. But let's be honest, which is more likely to desensitize you, Saw, or GTA? One's little better than a cartoon, the other a film...

That's exactly my point entirely? Is there an argument to suggest that films would have a higher influence on peoples opinions over computer games as it is more perceived as being more true to real life.

But now listen to the point you just made, "which is more likely to desensitize you", are we suppose to be desensitized to this sort of media depictions? Are the people that cause real life violence simply desensitized and are see nothing wrong with this kind of behaviour, given that they know the difference between right and wrong.
    Violence perpetrated by 'gamers' is not caused by gaming, it's caused by the person, and their own individual personality. There's been violence before videogames, before rock music, and before TV. Scapegoating's the resort of the blind half-wits who cannot acknowledge their own inherent failings, mar shampla, the parents groups in the USA who blame rock music and games for problems, ignoring a rampant and pervasive gun culture, that glorifies both militarism and violence.

So the media has no influence over people whatsoever, its simply a case of the individuals misgivens about what is right and what is wrong???

If people are desensitized, whatever that means, I can see things that would have a greater effect than games.

Don't quite get what you mean by the media reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Call me old-fashioned, but I preferred it when people who went out and murdered people were said to have done it because they were crazy, not because they played Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Sico wrote:
    Call me old-fashioned, but I preferred it when people who went out and murdered people were said to have done it because they were crazy, not because they played Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Sorry but I find that highly 'nail upon head' style amusing.
    Look up on Count Grishnak (Varg Vikernes), the creator of Burzum, he stabbed his producer square in the forehead with a blunt knife a good few years back (1998 I think), because his producer was plotting to have him murdered over petty jealousy because Varg Vikernes was getting more attention for his music, he's still in prison (probationary leave or something planned for fall of this year though I think). However this all happened in Norway, where they take their black metal fairly seriously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The dude from Nintendo said it best back in '89:

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Nobody seems to realise, there was violence before computer games.

Pugsley wrote:
    Sorry but I find that highly 'nail upon head' style amusing.

Look up on Count Grishnak (Varg Vikernes), the creator of Burzum, he stabbed his producer square in the forehead with a blunt knife a good few years back (1998 I think), because his producer was plotting to have him murdered over petty jealousy because Varg Vikernes was getting more attention for his music, he's still in prison (probationary leave or something planned for fall of this year though I think). However this all happened in Norway, where they take their black metal fairly seriously :)

I did say normal... :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sico wrote:

Think about the poor tabloids, they have to write about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

check a few of the studies done in UCLA,

They did a particular study which suggested that certain people have higher adrenaline rate than others which causes them to become more aggressive towards certain scenarios, they make the point that these people would be the same if they became confronted or in any other situations where this "character" is stimulated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i guess they bought Hitler Command & Conquer for his 14th birthday

before games the world had psychos who were very violent and even people who committed murder and torture. the people who harp on about the link between video games and violence are but a group of people who shun responsibility and like to have a moan while looking for a bandwagon to jump on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Games are just one in a long series of things people have used as simple answers to awkward complicated questions.

Advertisement