Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on new Chrysler 300c

Options
  • 24-03-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I see ever increasing number of these cars on Irish roads these days. So has anyone ever actually driven one and do they think they are a bit overpriced or is that just rip off ireland again.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hello Folks,

I see ever increasing number of these cars on Irish roads these days. So has anyone ever actually driven one and do they think they are a bit overpriced or is that just rip off ireland again.

FWIW, the car won a number of 'car of the year' awards in the US when it came out.

Possibly a bit of blind patriotism, though. The US reviewers were overjoyed that the American car companies had gone back to the big, brash designs that made the US cars of the time great.

Mechanically, it's basically the chassis of the previous generation Mercedes E-Class. Decent, but not cutting edge. The engine, on the other hand, it fantastic, particularly the Hemi which gives you doshes of power when you need it, and shuts down half the cylinders when you don't, so you still get decent mileage. (SRT version doesn't do this) Still, I'm sure the 5.7litre (or thereabouts) engine is going to kill you on tax/insurance. It's comfortable and fast, but apparently as a driver's car, it's a little lacking when you're really pushing it around corners. Getting the smaller engine may be more reasonable, but it takes away the car's biggest selling point. Basically, don't get the car if you don't get the Hemi.

My understanding is that for what it is, it's available at a very reasonable price in Europe.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its proberly quite cheap besides the equivilent Merc but whereas the E320 has company carpark kudos I supect many will find the Chrylser a bit Chav/bling.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

No matter how much they try American cars will never be anywhere near as good as their European rivals. Apart from a few of the late 60's and early 70's cars they have a complete lack of style and require an engine at least two litres bigger than what their European rivals would have, in order to produce the same type of stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I like it. I wouldn't buy one, but i like the whole anti-marque thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a reasonable motor. However, I wouldn't buy one in a million years. In my opinion Chryslers are piles of sh1te. Crap resale values too.

• Advertisement

If I was buying a Caddi I'd get the new BLS

cadillac_bls.jpg

Based on the new Saab 9-3 platform. 1.9 TID (Fiat multijet) diesel engine

steering wheel and dials look suspiciously 9-3 though
    Cadillac_BLS_3.jpgsaab_93_aero_interior_01_03_05.jpg

American Automobile Manufacturing:rolleyes:

colm_mcm sums it up with his photos. The new Caddi now basically has the interior of a Saab. They have to use the European platforms as they are far, far superior to the yankee versions. IMO American cars are clumsy, unrefined, cheap looking and without inspiration.

Compare them aesthetically with BMWs, Audis, VWs, Mercedes, Seats, Alfas, Skodas. Then compare an Opel/Vauxhall. Note the 'American-ness' of the Opels - the horrid GM influence.

Its only my opinion folks so don't you ameican car lovers start hassling me!:D

the BLS is a europe only model. and this platform sharing has guarunteed that there will actually BE a new 9-3

It doesn't work if you just go and try to copy VW or Mercedes, you get accused of being "bland and unremarkable" (only VAG and Mercedes can make bland stuff and get away with it!) you have to find a niche, and in fairness to GM they're satisfying all those people who admire the 300C but have 3 series money to spend, well done for having the balls to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    They have to use the European platforms as they are far, far superior to the yankee versions. IMO American cars are clumsy, unrefined, cheap looking and without inspiration.

I was working in the states for a little while and the lads over there had the same opinion. European & Jap = Good, American = Bad!

Simple really, European roads have bends. American roads don't ;)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    Simple really, European roads have bends. American roads don't ;)
    Long straight American roads = boring driving
    Smooth bending European roads = exciting driving.

I'm not talking about wreckless driving or even driving in Ireland. But take an A6 2.4V6 or a Volvo S60 2.0T on European roads (German B roads and the like- even English B roads) and you'll be glad you hadn't got a Caddi or a Chrysler. Take the same cars on American roads and there won't be much difference except for the fact that you'll suffer less fatigue in the European motor.

In fairness, as long as you're going in a straight line, you won't find a more comfortable place than a big american motor

Meh.. American cars do a few things well, and most things not so well. If there's one thing they have right, it's the big engines. They make a wonderful noise, and are incredibly lazy. Yes, I know that you get the same horsepower out of a 2 litre with various bells and whistles on a Euro/Jap car as you do from a 4 or 5 litre American, but on the other hand, I'm really starting to be taken by the concept of 'There's no replacement for displacement.' The big V-8s cruise along at the speed limit whilst practically idling, and have lots of torque available in the low rev bands, with no worries of issues like turbo lag.

I've split my loyalties. I own two cars, a Chevrolet (3.8l, 200hp), and an Audi (4.2l, 340hp), and whilst there is no doubting that the Audi is the better car, more comfortable and faster both in straight line and corners, the Chevy is actually more fun to drive, and only a third the price.

Try the Chrysler out. It's not a 'bad' car by any stretch of the imagination. Just made with a different philosophy to its European and Japanese counterparts. If you don't like it, you don't like it, no harm done. But don't discount it simply because of the American badge.

NTM

IMO American cars are clumsy, unrefined, cheap looking and without inspiration.

Look at this and tell me it's without inspiration. Normally aspirated 6.1 litre Hemi pushing 425hp.

challenger2.jpg

I may well retire my Camaro for that thing.

Then again, the new Camaro isn't too shabby either.

camaro1101_wideweb__470x228,0.jpg

6 litres, putting out 400hp.

The American car companies have in the last couple of years figured out that they had gone offtrack. They were competing with the European and Japanese manufacturers at their own game, with bland cars. I guess they realised that they needed to have 'character' of their own, instead of producing an 'anti-Camry', so they started putting character down in droves. This is the police version of the new Dodge Charger 4-door saloon. Can you imagine this in your rear view mirror?

members.fortunecity.com/copcarsite/charger104.jpg

[Edited for Fortunecity linking prevention: Hotlink does not work]

NTM

Look at this and tell me it's without inspiration. Normally aspirated 6.1 litre Hemi pushing 425hp.

challenger2.jpg

I may well retire my Camaro for that thing.

Then again, the new Camaro isn't too shabby either.

camaro1101_wideweb__470x228,0.jpg

6 litres, putting out 400hp.

The American car companies have in the last couple of years figured out that they had gone offtrack. They were competing with the European manufacturers at their own game, with bland cars. I guess they realised that they needed to have 'character' of their own, instead of producing an 'anti-Camry', so they started putting character down in droves. This is the police version of the new Dodge Charger 4-door saloon. Can you imagine this in your rear view mirror? Talk about intimidating.

charger104.jpg.

NTM
    Pure ugly - but in a nicer way than that I'd expect from the US of cant-build cars-for-sh1te A:D

makes a change from the chevrolet/daewoo ****e we have to put up with, the dodgiest piece of badge engineering in a long timechevrolet_matiz.jpg

makes a change from the chevrolet/daewoo sh1te we have to put up with, the dodgiest piece of badge engineering in a long timechevrolet_matiz.jpg

Sh1te on wheels. Buy a Polo or a Lupo or something similar. There are very few 'true' motor manufacturers left on this wee planet of ours. So many brands are owned by others and most people have no idea of the brand engineering that is so prevalent in todays motor trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I'm not gonna get involved this muppetry so let's bring it back to the 300C.

I saw one on the N11 a while ago and a refreshing sight it was indeed, driver looked like a bank manager though!!
    The 5.7 variable displacement hemi is a thing of beauty and genius.

It does remind me of "The Car" though ....
    http://www.barris.com/gallery_thecar.html

thecar.jpg

Its as ugly as sin. I'd sooner use Dublin Bus.

I could go on for hours and probably will but I'd sooner put some joy back in this.....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

I saw one last wekk on the off ramp off the M50 at Tallaght - Mad thing was, it was a taxi!!! Wouldn't mind a ride in that!!!

:D yeah - and not a taxi ride!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

crosstownk wrote:
    There are very few 'true' motor manufacturers left on this wee planet of ours. So many brands are owned by others and most people have no idea of the brand engineering that is so prevalent in todays motor trade.

Yeah that daewoo's are now badged as chevrolets is the ultimate act of turd- polishing, apparently the new corvette will be available in Ireland soonish but the one dealership you wont find it in is chevrolet!!! Maybe chrysler maybe even opel but chevrolet wont be selling the chevrolet corvette cos chevrolet dont sell chevrolets they sell daewoos!!!!
    Check this link for a laugh at how times have changed....
    http://www.barris.com/gallery_anycar.html

Built in the mid 70’s, the Any Car III is an amalgamation of parts from 40 different auto makes and models.The different makes and models used for the Any Car III are Cadillac, Buick Riviera, Mark IV, Astra Cruiser (Olds), Mercury, El Dorado, Cougar, Chrysler, Toyota, VW Station Wagon, PInto, Alfa Romero, Peugeot, Continental, Lincoln, Buick Matador, New Yorker, Continental, Chevrolet, Plymouth, Ford, and Datsun.
    They're all owned by what maybe 3 parent compaies now ??????

any_car.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

shagman wrote:
    I'm not gonna get involved this muppetry so let's bring it back to the 300C.

I saw one on the N11 a while ago and a refreshing sight it was indeed, driver looked like a bank manager though!!
    The 5.7 variable displacement hemi is a thing of beauty and genius.

It does remind me of "The Car" though ....
    http://www.barris.com/gallery_thecar.html

thecar.jpg
    It's like someone took a roller and put it in a hotdog bun and then added chrome as relish.

As for the 300c, I think it's crass and ostentatious. Which bears the question: Why in blue hell are they allowing it to be sold when it will cannibalise latter day Merc sales then?

Robbo wrote:
    Why in blue hell are they allowing it to be sold when it will cannibalise latter day Merc sales then?

That is a question that those of us in America have been wondering for some time. For example, there used to be three cars in the Pony Car segment. The Ford Mustang, the Chevrolet Camaro, and the Pontiac Firebird. Now, Chevrolet and Pontiac are both owned by General Motors. They both use the same chassis, with the same engine. Even a lot of the bodywork panels and glass are the same. So you have two of the three competitors who are competing against themselves. On the other hand, they have -slightly- (but not much) different markets.

So for the Chrysler 300, it's about analagous to the Merc E-Class, but nobody will ever associate the Chrysler for being a car for a successful executive. It just doesn't have the market cachet. It's more for people who don't give a damn about status of the badge (This is the same crowd who do the Neon, after all), but want a different-looking, large car. The interior on the Chrysler is a definite improvement on most American cars (Probably the weakest part of American motors), but still isn't on a par with the likes of Mercedes either. It's just not marketed as a luxury car, unlike Mercedes. Well, not here, anyway, I don't know about in Ireland.

The way I see it, if you want a beautiful car, look to the Italians (Alfas anyone?) or French. If you want a car that will run forvever and a day, go Japanese. If you want something with interior comfort, go German. Or British, now that Rover's gone, I guess. If you want something with a more menacing character, go American.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

highdef wrote:
    I saw one last wekk on the off ramp off the M50 at Tallaght - Mad thing was, it was a taxi!!! Wouldn't mind a ride in that!!!

i ahave also seen a 300c as a taxi, its mad money for a car and for a taxi:eek:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=345260

Seventy Seven Thousand Euro?!!? For used Chrysler?! Good Christ, no wonder you guys are ripping on it.

The same car (5.7litre) here goes for about $37,000 US, incl tax, brand new. That'll get you something akin to a BMW 328 around these parts, which is a bit of a no-brainer: Go for the Chrysler. At that Rathdown Motors price, listen to the Anti-American mob, spend your money on something else. It's no fault of it being American, it's just being sold for far more than the American's invented it to sell for.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Welcome to Ireland! That why such cars will never sell in any numbers. Too costly - no badge.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Seen that car a few weeks ago when we where on a class trip away, someone was like ohh... look at that Aston Martin there :eek:

Not really surprised its still in the fore court of that dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:
    Welcome to Ireland! That why such cars will never sell in any numbers. Too costly - no badge.

Mike.

I guess if you are spending that much on a car it is reasonable to want a *premium* badge. It is a 5.7, not 1.6 we are talking about!

The CRD willl be a (slightly!) more practical option!

Advertisement