Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slate

• 24-03-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the correct board to be posting on, but its the closest match so can hopefully get some help. I am trying to find out if its possible to get hold of, either paper/online, archived editions of The Slate magazine?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭KrankStricher

oooh I'd enjoy that too(also)

(FTL;"count me in")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is this it? http://www.slate.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Or do you mean the satirical Irish student Slate magazine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

its the one as stated above "the satirical irish student slate magazine"

I think their site used to be theslate.ie, but there's nothing there now; you used to be able to buy their best of online and in places like Tower Records... but that's probably out of print by now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What a mess, most links fail, couldn't find any 'juice.

(FTL;Nonsense)

monument wrote:

yeah this looks like it will be the right thing once it gets finished, most of it is showing up as still under construction.

Thanks though, if anyone finds any further links, keep em comin please!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Save The Slate
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40633

'Slate' aritcle , 'Blacks in the Jacks'
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46785
    There were 18 phone complaints received by the NCCRI in relation to a student type magazine called 'The Slate'. The magazine was handed out free in outlets such one well-known record chain, public houses and Internet cafes. Samantha Mumba and the mother of Phil Lynott also condemned attributed quotations in the magazine.
    http://www.nccri.ie/incidents2002a.html

oops wrong thread.

(FTL; sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I have issues 12 to 27 ( less 16 ) plus sell out special edition all in mint condition. I would love to get my hands on the ones I have not.
    A great way to look back on our society in a couple of years!

I have issues 12 to 27 ( less 16 ) plus sell out special edition all in mint condition. I would love to get my hands on the ones I have not.
    A great way to look back on our society in a couple of years!

Oh yeah, rub it in YOU MONSTER :D;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

tee hee, I must watch that site to read the treasures I never did first time rpund!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

monument wrote:

Surely that was the best thing about the slate, the way people get on the Politically Correct High Horse wtih a holier than thou attitude, yes the slate hurled abuse but not only did it provide a good read it also made you think, another example was the story abotu Louis Walsh signign up the two guys in the Jamie Bolger case.

I remember readign the paper one day, and finding an article givign out about the slate, as soon as I realised it was a new issue they were ranting on about, I dropped the paper and ran down to Tower Records to get it.

gillo wrote:
    Surely that was the best thing about the slate, the way people get on the Politically Correct High Horse wtih a holier than thou attitude, yes the slate hurled abuse but not only did it provide a good read it also made you think, another example was the story abotu Louis Walsh signign up the two guys in the Jamie Bolger case.

I remember readign the paper one day, and finding an article givign out about the slate, as soon as I realised it was a new issue they were ranting on about, I dropped the paper and ran down to Tower Records to get it.

You (generally) know good satire by the controversy it causes, Brass Eye being a good example of this.

That's not to say that controversy = good satire, but the Slate and Brass Eye both targetted the tabloid-style of certain papers and questioned their tactics and coverage, and the controversy in responce was just a knee-jerk reaction by the tabloids who hoped none of their readers would realise the truth... the best way for them to defend themselves is to vilify their attackers, "don't listen to that lot, they're racist/murderers/paedophiles"

Advertisement