Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New in Dublin, need a mechanic

Options
  • 24-03-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a banger about 6 months ago. I noticed some brake problems, but drove it anyway. Took it into Advance Pitstop in Galway around Christmas, and was quoted 300 euro for fixing the brakes. Being a very bad moment, with Christmas coming up, being short on funds, I didn't get it done.

I recently moved to Dublin, and my banger is up for NCT next month.
    I took the car to Advance Pitstop for a pre-NCT check, and he quotes me over 1000 euro for fixing it. Almost 200 euro for some exhaust problem, and the rest for the brakes. Now I know Dublin is not Galway, but it's still the same Advance Pitstop, isn't it?
    Could the brakes become so much worse since Christmas? Or am I being ripped off?

I would like to get a second opinion, but I don't know any other garage in Dublin. Can you suggest one? Thanks.

Cheers,
    JP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If you 'noticed some brake problems but drove it anyway', you shouldn't be on the road. That's just bloody well irresponsible and you deserve a slapping for it.

Leaving that aside, it depends on what needs to be replaced. If you've had brake fluid leaking for a while, it'll eat the back of your tyres and they'd need to be replaced. If the shoes were worn right down you could have damaged the drums with metal on metal wear, requiring replacement. The slave cylinders could be stuffed and need swapping. You could need brake lines replaced. If it has disks on the front, they could need swapping.....

There's a bucketload of things to do with braking on an older car, particularly if it's not been properly looked after in the past. Even my regularly serviced and well maintained little pug needed almost €300 in parts there before christmas (at trade price!) and I did the work myself. It's not unusual to have to sink some cash into an old car to keep it on the road. The unfortunate thing is that ignoring immediate needs usually leads to a massive increase in the bill.

When it comes to Advance, I have some knowledge of their pricing. All of them should be charging the same so it's worth asking for a written list of what needs to be done and prices for each part of that work. Then go to another and ask them to have a look at your brakes and give you a written list. Compare the list of work required and take it from there.

But listen, you really should deal with braking problems as soon as they come to your attention. You're putting your safety and that of others at risk and that's simply not acceptable. If you had an accident and god forbid someone died, your brakes would be checked and you'd face a charge of wreckless endangerment and possibly manslaughter.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I noticed that the handbrake didn't hold. Front brakes were fine.
    I checked with the guy in Galway about how dangerous it is to drive it the way it was, and he said I was fine for a while, and to have it fixed as soon as the brake pedal would feel spongy. Also, to leave it in gear when parked. He didn't say irresponsible, wreckless or things like that.

Both the Galway and Dublin shops mentioned the drums and the shoes, but this guy has a very long list of other things, well beyond my mechanical knowledge.

Thanks for the advice, I was planning to do just that, get a second opinion. But where? Any suggestion for Dublin area? A Ford dealership maybe?

Thanks,
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

JoyPad wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I was planning to do just that, get a second opinion. But where? Any suggestion for Dublin area? A Ford dealership maybe?

Thanks,
    JP

A pre-nct in Ashley Ford will cost you €85. You will get an itemised list of anything that needs doing. Then go and a mechanic to do it for you(too expensive in a main dealer)

They have all the diagnostic equipment and the ''rolling road'' wuth relevant print outs.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rambler

From what you have said, you may need a lot more done than just brakes for the NCT. Might is a cheaper option to buy another car with a recent NCT, maybe try lookiing at some of the car auction rooms.

Advertisement