Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Semi-Final Draw

• 24-03-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

The draw takes place in about fifteen minutes on Sky. The teams in the hat are:

Chelsea
    Charlton or Boro
    Liverpool
    West Ham

Just wondering what the bets are that the FA will go down their usual route of keeping the two bigger clubs apart to try and guarantee a packed Milennium Stadium?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Lemlin wrote:

Chelsea
    Charlton or Boro
    Liverpool
    West Ham

Just wondering what the bets are that the FA will go down their usual route of keeping the two bigger clubs apart to try and guarantee a packed Milennium Stadium?

how do they fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Does anyone know the venue's for the Semi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Lemlin wrote:

Chelsea
    Charlton or Boro
    Liverpool
    West Ham

They are all in the same pot! How do u reckon this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

The old hot balls and cold balls trick!!:D

Even getting reaching the final for one of the other teams will be big, cos they'll be guaranteed a UEFA Cup spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Its well known these draws are fixed. United and Arsenal were kept apart in the semi draw last year in the FA Cup and again this year in the Carling Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Does anyone know the venue's for the Semi's?
    Apparently they will be announced after the draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Chealsea v Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

chelsea v liverpool:D

Liverpool vs Chelski

Charlton/Boro vs West Ham

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Class, Chelsea v Liverpool

There's a surprise. I'd go for Chelsea to win it, given that they've already beaten Liverpool twice this year.

West Ham will win the other tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lemlin, they must have been wild to your thoughts, and just to prove that its not a fix, paired Chelsea up with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

I'll go for Liverpool to beat Chelsea

Lemlin wrote:
    There's a surprise. I'd go for Chelsea to win it, given that they've already beaten Liverpool twice this year.

Or maybe another great semi final victory for Liverpool after losing twice in Chelsea in the league ;)

Lemlin wrote:
    Its well known these draws are fixed. United and Arsenal were kept apart in the semi draw last year in the FA Cup and again this year in the Carling Cup.

show us proof, if its so well known? The balls are mixed up on live TV and drawn on live TV, suppose your gonna tell me next, its recorded.

Arsenal v Manchester United
    Milwall v Sunderland

Ur theory wouldnt work on this one I am afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i bet that eveyone wanted that to be the final, great draw for boro/charton/west ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"Smaller" teams (i.e - West Ham, Charlton) also tend to bring massive numbers of fans to cup-finals so I don't think the FA really has anything to gain by keeping the two big clubs apart in the semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

So where is it Cardiff ?

The final is in Cardiff, semi-final venues are yet to be announced.

• Advertisement

no deffo not cardif maybe villa park.

i think that it gives the chance for that "cup magic" that bbc are always banging on about, ie a giant killing in the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

but it will be a neutral venue yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Lemlin wrote:
    the FA will go down their usual route of keeping the two bigger clubs apart to try and guarantee a packed Milennium Stadium?
    Thats funny :D:D:D:D:D

Every year, the FA are worried sick about being able to sell out the FA Cup Final :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

berengar wrote:
    but it will be a neutral venue yeah ?
    yeah neutral

The two semi's will almost certainly be in seperate venues, both neutral of course. Old Trafford is quite likely for one I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Lemlin wrote:

:rolleyes:

Liverpool are the form side at the moment but to fancy their chances strongly you would have preffered home advantage. (EDIT: Forgot about the neutral venues, this makes things a lot more interesting) It'll be a tough mental test for Liverpool as Chelsea have the upper hand on recent meetings. In saying that I think if you were going to have a bet on the match you may as well have a bet on the overall FA Cup winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well Chelsea are not playing well at the moment and Liverpool are banging them in. 1-0 Liverpool.

Chelsea have beaten Liverpool this season comprehensively adn have the overall upper hand over them by quite margin. 1-1 Chelsea.

Its an interesting one. I'm happy they have been drawn now rather than the final as it would make for one woeful final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lemlin wrote:
    Nail on the head there. Sure didn't Liverpool already draw United in the cup? If they were fixed would they not just have the top four clubs playing in the semis?

As regards the draw, I think it will be a much better game seeing as its the semi as opposed to the final. Semis tend to have a lot more flow rather than finals which tend to be cagey. I'm looking forward to it.

I reckon the venue will be Villa Park. Half way between them and a traditional semi venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Neutral venue - and April 23 is 4 weeks away, and by then their form may well have swapped.

For me, this one is up in the air.

• Advertisement

The semi finals were played in Cardiff last season, why would they go back to neutral venues this season?

dunno but it was stated on shy sports news that it will not be cardiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

I reckon that Villa Park will be the venue for chelsea/liverpool.
    If charlton win the replay then maybe Highbury for the other semi?

It's usually Villa park and Old Trafford.

It all depends who wins the replay between Boro and Charlton.

If Charlton win they will have the semi in London. They are hardly going to make Charlton and West Ham trek up north for a game when they could just have it in Highbury or Stamford Bridge (its got a fantastic pitch after all ;) ). However if Boro win it would most likely be in Villa Park or Old Trafford, somewhere half way between.

If its not an all London semi I would say that Liverpool Chelsea will be in Villa Park, with the other match in Old Trafford. For some reason I'd say the FA would rather not have Liverpool Chelsea at the ground of one of the biggest rivals.

Stamford Bridge (its got a fantastic pitch after all ;) ).

You haven't seen it recently then? Best surface I've seen there in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh! No point in making predictions this early may the least diving team win.

Mike.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You haven't seen it recently then? Best surface I've seen there in a long time.
    No I have! That was my point!

Oh right, the winking eye threw me off.

As John Motson said on Wednesday - "Its like a completely new surface... well I suppose it is a completely new surface"

it will be announced soon i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

It's usually, with exception of last year, in Old Trafford and Villa Park.

The most insane one was making Chelsea and Fulham fans trek up to Villa Park after their teams were drawn against eachother in 2002 - should've let em use Highbury.

Actually, I'd like to see one of the semis at Highbury this year, given that it would be THOF's last FA Cup tie... Twould be nice...

But the FA aren't nice, so it'll probably be somehwere mediocre like Old Trafford...:D Just kiddin' - great stadium too.

• Advertisement

Every year, the FA are worried sick about being able to sell out the FA Cup Final :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cradiff seats how many, 80,000 or 90,000. That's pretty hard to sell out. That's why they prefer to have bigger clubs there. I said it'd happen with the FA Cup semis last year and the Carling Cup semis this year and it did.

Ask anyone in the media, even the World Cup qualification draws are apparently rigged like fook. Why do you think we often get so many interesting first round ties and the obligatory easy ride for the hosts?

Lemlin wrote:
    Cradiff seats how many, 80,000 or 90,000. That's pretty hard to sell out. That's why they prefer to have bigger clubs there. I said it'd happen with the FA Cup semis last year and the Carling Cup semis this year and it did.
    Wow twice. What about all the other years? It's a one in three chance for God's sake. We are not talking about the lotto here.

/edit and Cardiff seats 80k. With each team getting c. 35k and 10k going to sponsors/corporate. Do you think ANY Premier League team, or Championship team for that matter would have trouble shifting 35k tickets?
    Lemlin wrote:
    Ask anyone in the media, even the World Cup qualification draws are apparently rigged like fook. Why do you think we often get so many interesting first round ties and the obligatory easy ride for the hosts?
    You do know what seeding is don't you?

And the draw for the WC proper is done in such a fashion as to have teams from different continents playing against each other.

Wow twice. What about all the other years? It's a one in three chance for God's sake. We are not talking about the lotto here.

/edit and Cardiff seats 80k. With each team getting c. 35k and 10k going to sponsors/corporate. Do you think ANY Premier League team, or Championship team for that matter would have trouble shifting 35k tickets?

You do know what seeding is don't you?

And the draw for the WC proper is done in such a fashion as to have teams from different continents playing against each other.

Like I said about the world cup draw, read media reports from anyone who has ever attended it. As for the FA cup semi draw, maybe I'm just into conspiracy theories.

Either way, I'm not interested in another tit-for-tat with your good self so I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Old Trafford for the Liverpool/Chelsea game & Villa Park for the other one, but I wonder would they change the venue if Charlton go through to Stamford Bridge or Highbury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

lets hope boro dont get there so

Lex Luthor wrote:
    but I wonder would they change the venue if Charlton go through to Stamford Bridge or Highbury?

I don't think so. They wouldn't have named Villa Park then change it just cause Charlton go through.

Lemlin wrote:

You saying that the FA Cup, probably the biggest and most famous domestic soccer compition in the world cant sell 80,000 tickets, but the GAA seem to have no problem selling that many tickets for semi's never mind finals, have you ever seriously tried to get an FA Cup final ticket?

**edit** given your opening topic of fixing and now this your not well versed on Soccer are you?

Advertisement